BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Charcoal filter delete dyno results (baseline, akra, akra w/filter delete)

Updated my charcoal delete thread, but thought this info would be beneficial under the general forum.

I had a chance to go and put the car on the dyno again, post charcoal delete. As the good folks at EAS had taken the time to baseline dyno the car stock and after my Akra install, I felt that it was worthwhile to spend a couple more hours with them to make some pulls after the filter delete. I have driven the car hard since I posted the original thread and just did the dyno on Wednesday so if there was some adapting I am sure the car has done so by now.

Results...if you consider all of the gains due to the filter delete, I was looking at almost 11whp and 16ft-lbs of tq gained. I do not believe this is all due to the filters. Some, yes. Also, the interesting thing to note on the graph is the amount of power and torque and the consistency of this gain across the rev band. Results are STD correction, uncorrected is probably more accurate (FI car) but since my akra post used STD, I'll stick with STD.

Obviously, this is just a report back on my results, but when added to the butt dyno and perceived gains, I can say that the car has picked up some power. Oh, and I am not looking to start a dyno war here...just wanted to post some "empirical" data
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black

Last edited by M54ccibo; 02-28-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
bclk55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 X5 35D, 15 GT3

Nice Gain! Looks pretty consistent throughout the RPM range too. I had a feeling that the CPU needed to soak in a bit after the Akra install and definitely the Charcoal Filter made a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Best mod you can't buy!!

02-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Updated my charcoal delete thread, but thought this info would be beneficial under the general forum.

Obviously, this is just a report back on my results, but when added to the butt dyno and perceived gains, I can say that the car has picked up some power. Oh, and I am not looking to start a dyno war here...just wanted to post some "empirical" data
You were polite enough not to mention it, but since the idea of a $3,500 carbon fiber cover for a K&N filter sold as a 'performance upgrade' still bothers me, I will mention it. I'll again throw out the idea that any increase in HP from the Gruppe M intake is due entirely to the deletion of the charcoal filter in the stock system. Still a great looking addition to the engine compartment, and if it were sold for its looks alone I'd have no problem with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
You were polite enough not to mention it, but since the idea of a $3,500 carbon fiber cover for a K&N filter sold as a 'performance upgrade' still bothers me, I will mention it. I'll again throw out the idea that any increase in HP from the Gruppe M intake is due entirely to the deletion of the charcoal filter in the stock system. Still a great looking addition to the engine compartment, and if it were sold for its looks alone I'd have no problem with it.
Ha! I never even thought about that! Lol! Gruppe M Intake makes power?! I say probably not, or if so then very little! I'm jumping on the bandwagen that the deletion of the charcoal filters from the Gruppe M Intake design is what is actually making power with that intake system. So far we have 2 independent dyno runs that have produced +15hp(Fly M5) and +11hp(M5CCibro) from the deletion of the filters alone. I agree, still aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but a real performance upgrade? Questionable.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Ha! I never even thought about that! Lol! Gruppe M Intake makes power?! I say probably not, or if so then very little! I'm jumping on the bandwagen that the deletion of the charcoal filters from the Gruppe M Intake design is what is actually making power with that intake system. So far we have 2 independent dyno runs that have produced +15hp(Fly M5) and +11hp(M5CCibro) from the deletion of the filters alone. I agree, still aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but a real performance upgrade? Questionable.
The part of the chart that I thought was most interesting was not the top-end HP/TQ, but the increase across the range...and, for the keen observer, the Akra actually took a bit of a loss in this regard. So, I say, that some of the HP gains on my car are due to "adaptation" and the filter delete
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Well done m54ccibo. Thanks for saving me money!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
PrimeTimeJohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Wow! This is enough proof for me. It's impressive how run 11 shows gains almost across the whole RPM range. I've gotta take my charcoal filters out. I'll do it after my 1200 mile break-in service. Thanks Chris!
Appreciate 0