BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Got mine. Blk/Blk 6MT Review and Pics of others

Here's mine. Coming from an E92 6MT M3 but still have my Prius and GT3RS. Previously owned a GTR and Evo IX MR. Here's my take.

After the GTR and Prius I decided to not go with DCT. So was that a good decision? HELLS YEAH!!! but I must warn people who have been driving automatics for a while. Until you get used to driving a manual again, the first day you will feel like the shifting is taking away from the comfort of the car and you won't feel relaxed because you're constantly pumping your leg. What's the point of all that leather, bang olufson etc, when you're constantly working out you left calf. It's like having a wood paneled and leather upholstered workout gym...why? BUT, once you get used to it. you will LOVE it. I am SOOOO glad I went with the manual. With DCT you can't go from 6th to 3rd directly. I understand in racing you don't but with a 6MT and on the highway, you can Cruising down the highway, I constantly find myself shifting with my fingers, throttling and surging the car forward swirling around traffic kinda like when i'm twiddling my pen around my fingers when in a meeting. It's just fun It's turbocharged so there is noticeable lag. As an Evo or any turbo car, once you know when to expect it, you adjust your perception of the drive. It's basically the reverse of the RS. The RS' power is immediate then revs out with alot of noise but no thrust. The M5 has no power at first jab but then HUGE thrust afterwards.

Steering is almost a carbon copy of the M3. Fat steering wheel and somewhat artificial but feels good nonetheless. Although the RS' steering is telepathic, I would not want it on my commute. It's ironic, the better the steering, the cheaper it feels. The reason why the Evo felt so great because it belongs to an econobox.

For those of you up in the air, you have to ask yourself what you want. If you want an all around great car, status symbol etc, get the DCT. The DCT by default will rush to the highest gear as soon as possible similar to the GTR. Comfortable, calm like a 535i until you need M5 power. The DCT hides the stress of controlling all that power and does it well. You have no choice with the 6MT. It is a muscle car ALL THE TIME. Managing 560hp to clutch is all on you. It was stressful in the beginning because you feel like you're going to lurch violently into a bunch of innocent civilians walking in front of you at a red light if you are hovering in 1st The only thing saving everyone is turbo lag lol. If I had the DCT, i would feel great knowing I have a great car and know that Mr Hyde is waiting to come out. But with the 6MT, I want to drive it ALL the time and Dr Jekyll is nowhere to be found . I'm gonna go take her out for a spin now

Side notes. Auto stop also disables power steering (makes sense). I learned that when coasting in neutral and couldn't turn lol. When I did force the steering wheel to turn the engine started again lol. It usually starts by engaging the clutch. Traction control is really conservative so i leave it disabled all the time. I realized I don't like HUD and hate the reflection of the HUD frame on the windshield

Last edited by s4awd; 09-09-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Great M5 and others. Congrats and enjoy!!!
2007 750Li Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
dkoren
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 - 6spd

So glad to see someone else enjoying the manual! Congrats on your car and choice on the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Love it - can't wait to get mine. Only 2 months left for my manual. After my testing of both I really felt that the MT was a great fit for the M5. Its going to be the last of its kind and its just such a great mix of luxury, power, and sport!

P.S. The GT3RS is my favourite Porsche of all time - can't wait to get one of these!
      09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd
Here's mine. Coming from an E92 6MT M3 but still have my Prius and GT3RS. Previously owned a GTR and Evo IX MR. Here's my take.

After the GTR and Prius I decided to not go with DCT. So was that a good decision? HELLS YEAH!!! but I must warn people who have been driving automatics for a while. Until you get used to driving a manual again, the first day you will feel like the shifting is taking away from the comfort of the car and you won't feel relaxed because you're constantly pumping your leg. What's the point of all that leather, bang olufson etc, when you're constantly working out you left calf. It's like having a wood paneled and leather upholstered workout gym...why? BUT, once you get used to it. you will LOVE it. I am SOOOO glad I went with the manual. With DCT you can't go from 6th to 3rd directly. I understand in racing you don't but with a 6MT and on the highway, you can Cruising down the highway, I constantly find myself shifting with my fingers, throttling and surging the car forward swirling around traffic kinda like when i'm twiddling my pen around my fingers when in a meeting. It's just fun It's turbocharged so there is noticeable lag. As an Evo or any turbo car, once you know when to expect it, you adjust your perception of the drive. It's basically the reverse of the RS. The RS' power is immediate then revs out with alot of noise but no thrust. The M5 has no power at first jab but then HUGE thrust afterwards.

Steering is almost a carbon copy of the M3. Fat steering wheel and somewhat artificial but feels good nonetheless. Although the RS' steering is telepathic, I would not want it on my commute. It's ironic, the better the steering, the cheaper it feels. The reason why the Evo felt so great because it belongs to an econobox.

For those of you up in the air, you have to ask yourself what you want. If you want an all around great car, status symbol etc, get the DCT. The DCT by default will rush to the highest gear as soon as possible similar to the GTR. Comfortable, calm like a 535i until you need M5 power. The DCT hides the stress of controlling all that power and does it well. You have no choice with the 6MT. It is a muscle car ALL THE TIME. Managing 560hp to clutch is all on you. It was stressful in the beginning because you feel like you're going to lurch violently into a bunch of innocent civilians walking in front of you at a red light if you are hovering in 1st The only thing saving everyone is turbo lag lol. If I had the DCT, i would feel great knowing I have a great car and know that Mr Hyde is waiting to come out. But with the 6MT, I want to drive it ALL the time and Dr Jekyll is nowhere to be found . I'm gonna go take her out for a spin now

Side notes. Auto stop also disables power steering (makes sense). I learned that when coasting in neutral and couldn't turn lol. When I did force the steering wheel to turn the engine started again lol. It usually starts by engaging the clutch. Traction control is really conservative so i leave it disabled all the time. I realized I don't like HUD and hate the reflection of the HUD frame on the windshield

Just made my day with this review on the MT!! I am awaiting mine now and this type of post makes me go nuts!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

awesome, the GT3RS is my dream car

BLK/BLK M5 looks so good. Congrats

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
awesome, the GT3RS is my dream car
Here is a story. I have a very fun Targa4S right now that is gone when the M5 comes.. in the mean time will bust my toosh to ensure a GT3 or something of that sort ends up in my garage. I was at a Porsche get together a few weeks ago and there were all types of rides. One stood out - a blue GT3RS. Went up to the owner started chit chatting and after the gathering ended we went out for spin. OMG I swear I must have wet my pants .. its such a raw and visceral car you feel as if you are part of it, welded into the sheet metal. The feedback, the sound, the handling, the shifting, the ENGINE!! Crazy, crazy, the last time I felt something close to that was in a 599 .. goose bumps and laughs everywhere. Those are cars that keep you dreaming!
      09-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Great review- I loved the manual making it muscle car all the time quote. It's so true compared to the dct.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Wow what a collection!!! Looks like the you can't go wrong with either DCT or 6MT. How does the thrust of the M5 feel compared to the Evo and GTR?
      09-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

OP, can you comment on the automatic rev-matching that's been mentioned here as existing unless you're in Sport throttle? Is it true, does it happen on both upshifts and downshifts, do you feel that not doing the rev matching yourself takes some of the fun out of driving MT, etc?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

The GTR is in a league of its own. On tight roads where the scenery is close to you, the GTR feels like it is going to get airborne. It is a violent mix of speed and thrust. I used to think the GTR was heavy but it feels like a Miata compared to the M5. The M5 pulls hard but you get a sense that a lot of that power is being used up on all that weight. But once its moving, the torque/thrust is immense and alot of fun. Big torque but heavy. Up top 60-100mph the m5 will probably be close to a GTR. I'm still breaking it in so until i can past 5k rpm, I can't describe the full effect just yet. The Evo unlike the M5 and the GTR only has one turbo so the turbo comes in like a crescendo. Right when you feel the thrust coming in, you have to shift. It's the classic turbo feel which I actually like. It has much less power but it is much lighter.

With the GTR and M5, you just find there isn't enough road to pound the pedal and push everyone to the back of their seats. The moment these cars get going, you're already breaking the law but I can tell you this... As a passenger in the M5, it feels insane
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
OP, can you comment on the automatic rev-matching that's been mentioned here as existing unless you're in Sport throttle? Is it true, does it happen on both upshifts and downshifts, do you feel that not doing the rev matching yourself takes some of the fun out of driving MT, etc?
In sport plus, the car does not rev match. Which makes sense so you can do it yourself and heel toe. Amazingly the pedals are placed well and heel toe is easy unlike the RS where there is a very high brake pedal. Great when on the track under heavy breaking but difficult on the road when doing it for fun. In efficient and sport, it rev matches which is nice. Ive only noticed it when down shifting. It makes things smoother when just putting around. Having it is a big plus. If anything it's one less thing to worry about when you have passengers and want to have a smooth drive. I think it was a great addition.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Great review, thx for all your insight. Confirms my choice too

Awesome stable btw, enjoy all that HP safely!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd
In sport plus, the car does not rev match. Which makes sense so you can do it yourself and heel toe. Amazingly the pedals are placed well and heel toe is easy unlike the RS where there is a very high brake pedal. Great when on the track under heavy breaking but difficult on the road when doing it for fun. In efficient and sport, it rev matches which is nice. Ive only noticed it when down shifting. It makes things smoother when just putting around. Having it is a big plus. If anything it's one less thing to worry about when you have passengers and want to have a smooth drive. I think it was a great addition.
Interesting, thanks! My only wish is that the auto rev match could be managed separately from throttle response. In my M3 I use Sport throttle for casual driving where a sharper throttle makes the car feel faster and precision isn't important (but where I might like having "auto-match" since that's lazier driving), but I switch to Normal on the track and for more spirited driving where a linear throttle is beneficial. In my Normal throttle use cases I can see sometimes wanting auto-match (on track) but other times not wanting it, like when I'm out for the joy of the drive and might therefore want to do it myself.

I dunno, I'm a recent MT convert and kind of enjoy the imperfect rev matches because it makes the few times I nail it just right that much sweeter. Oh well, sounds like it still beats DCT!

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

Seems the rev matching is set to only either a certain speed or rpm. I have to check the settings. Right now at slow speeds, traffic etc in any mode the car rev matches. When I'm driving at higher speeds, higher rpms, regardless of sport/sport plus it doesn't. I have to do some reading to figure out what the hell is going on lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congrats! Added you to the Owner's Registry

And thank you for sharing your first impressions.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Seems the rev matching is set to only either a certain speed or rpm. I have to check the settings. Right now at slow speeds, traffic etc in any mode the car rev matches. When I'm driving at higher speeds, higher rpms, regardless of sport/sport plus it doesn't. I have to do some reading to figure out what the hell is going on lol.
Hmm, now THAT'S promising! If it only rev matched when I'm just cruising around at lower engine speeds but let me to do it myself at higher engine speeds where I'd be when I'm out to have fun and want to do it myself, that'd be perfect. Might not be ideal on the track where people might want it at higher engine speeds for the speed/smoothness benefit, but it wouldn't surprise me if BMW designed this with the assumption that the vast majority of M5 owners wouldn't be taking them to the track.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Congrats! Added you to the Owner's Registry

And thank you for sharing your first impressions.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
This is super interesting - I wonder now if the engine breaking lag (on my gas blip) was the rev matching when I thought it was turbos still spooling? I will get my car and do a better analysis. However I really like this feature as there are days when I am kind of tired and its nice to have the car helping a bit. I can't believe how much amazing thought was put into a transmission that they apparently want to abolish??

Only 2 more months to go for mine!
      09-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
kathrynmanl
Rep
Drives: bwm

Looks like the you can't go wrong with either DCT or 6MT
      09-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #21
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE