M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
H&R and factory spring recall

I'd like to put H&R springs on my car, but am worried about BMW then shirking their responsibility to fix the rear suspension thunk.

So many have put aftermarket springs on already, what are your thoughts?
      12-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I dont think i have read one negative comment about the springs. Check the boards there are plenty of opinions.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
I'd like to put H&R springs on my car, but am worried about BMW then shirking their responsibility to fix the rear suspension thunk.

So many have put aftermarket springs on already, what are your thoughts?
To me this is a must have mod, the stock ride height is way to high IMO. This was my first mod, much more important then getting rid of all that chrome!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I don't think my question was clear...

There is a factory defect in the rear suspension: the audible thunk noise when going over speed bumps, etc. BMW has stated that they will repair this sometime in 2013.

If the suspension is altered by the customer with aftermarket springs, I fear BMW will claim that the warranty is voided and not fix the car's fault.

The H&R springs do not fix the factory suspension issue.
      12-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

IMHO, in the case that BMW does recall the cars to work the rear suspension, I would go back to the stock spring setup for the fix. Anytime, I modify the any of my cars, I keep the stock parts for reasons like this. If you are willing to personalize any vehicle, you must understand that you are opening a can of worms, and you must have the funds to handle any issues that arise.

Just my 2 cents...

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessmark07
IMHO, in the case that BMW does recall the cars to work the rear suspension, I would go back to the stock spring setup for the fix. Anytime, I modify the any of my cars, I keep the stock parts for reasons like this. If you are willing to personalize any vehicle, you must understand that you are opening a can of worms, and you must have the funds to handle any issues that arise.

Just my 2 cents...
Right, but an issue has already arisen - its already a known defect. So, maybe the prudent thing for me to do is wait for an action from BMW.

I'll talk to my SA to find out if there is any further info on a repair date and report back.
      12-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

You are right. Please let us know if you get any further information. It probably would be prudent to wait if you haven't already done the mod. I don't have the sound that every one is talking about. The noise was not there before or after the drop.

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
MCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Yes, exactly. I would wait for BMW to fix the issue before changing for H&R.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

You should wait!!!! That is unless you don't have the will power...

Damn your car will look so much better NOW with that perfect H&R drop. Everyone else is doing it. No one is complaining. You know you want to. You are searching for excuses not to. Let us all sit back and see what you do...

LOL
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Just do it. You could be waiting a long time. If I had to choose, I'd stay with the thump to keep the drop. You can always revert back to stock should there be a opportunity to fix the thump sooner.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

yeah, just do it.
There could be some other products showing up next year like Eibach spring or coilover system which will work with the electronic system.
Bringing the car back to dealer for warranty work will be a great excuse for me to put stock spring back and try something else in the market
      12-31-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Rob///M5
Major
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Haha...you guys are a BAD influence!!

BTW - after speaking with one BMW service department, they claim there are no service bulletins from BMW corporate on this topic. I have a call in to another dealer to confirm. That's pretty disappointing considering the number of complaints from customers.
      12-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

Do it now Rob! We can both get it done at the same time if u want. I'm doing it in January, so lets goooo. See u Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM5 View Post
Yes, exactly. I would wait for BMW to fix the issue before changing for H&R.
This is what I'm doing.
      03-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I couldn't wait any longer fora fix, so I went ahead with my H&R install. I tell you what, the clunk is GONE for me! The suspension feels much better; a little firmer, but not much. Suspension feels much more solid. Those who are holding back I would say not to wait. A vast improvement!
      03-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

i cant understand why anyone would consider a spring kit instead of just going with a proper coil-over system. You are already in for so much on a hi end car, lowering springs are for guys on the GTI golf forums

A coil-over is a properly matched spring and shock and allows you to properly set up corner weights. Plus you can adjust ride height, rebound and compression and get teh handling as perfect as possible.

Lowering springs are too stiff and not enough travel for what the OEM shock is designed for and results in bouncy and less than ideal handling.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #17
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Well, I couldn't wait any longer fora fix, so I went ahead with my H&R install. I tell you what, the clunk is GONE for me! The suspension feels much better; a little firmer, but not much. Suspension feels much more solid. Those who are holding back I would say not to wait. A vast improvement!
now go and try a set of KW V3s and compare that to the H & R. It will be another vast improvement
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
now go and try a set of KW V3s and compare that to the H & R. It will be another vast improvement
I would agree with you, however the loss of EDC is not worth it for me.
      03-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
I agree with you, the EDC works and I'd hate to lose it. If KW would only make a sleeve kit for the F10 M5 we could retain the EDC while also having spring adjustability. Maybe there is more profit for KW with the sale of the full shock/spring assembly, but I think they would have much more sales volume with the sleeve kit vs the shock/spring set. KW ARE YOU LISTENING!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I agree with you, the EDC works and I'd hate to lose it. If KW would only make a sleeve kit for the F10 M5 we could retain the EDC while also having spring adjustability. Maybe there is more profit for KW with the sale of the full shock/spring assembly, but I think they would have much more sales volume with the sleeve kit vs the shock/spring set. KW ARE YOU LISTENING!!!
Guys I have doethis on three E90/92 M3s, an X6M and its a no brainer.

EDC is waste of time when compared to ride on coil overs.

It lowers the car and you get a more progressive ride where its not hard and jarring (like in sport mode on EDC) but is still stiff and improved cornering.

The rebound and compression settings are also adjustable so if you want it pre set for track or very hard then of course it will be, but for road driving its best of both settings in EDC plus more

Trust me you will never miss the EDC functionality.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
Guys I have doethis on three E90/92 M3s, an X6M and its a no brainer.

EDC is waste of time when compared to ride on coil overs.

It lowers the car and you get a more progressive ride where its not hard and jarring (like in sport mode on EDC) but is still stiff and improved cornering.

The rebound and compression settings are also adjustable so if you want it pre set for track or very hard then of course it will be, but for road driving its best of both settings in EDC plus more

Trust me you will never miss the EDC functionality.
I'd agree with you if I shared my car with the track. I've done a few coilover setups on my Porsches (Supercup-valved Bilsteins and another with PSS-9s), so I'm familiar with full coilover setups. Probably 98% of us just use our M5 on the street so the KW proposition is overkill, and a waste of money, IMO. I think most of us are looking mainly at the aesthetics when lowering these cars, so lowering springs are an ideal solution for this.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the H&Rs because it doesn't change much of the characteristics over the stock suspension. There really isn't any bounciness with these lowering springs, or should I say not any more than there was with the stock setup.

My 2 cents...
      03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I notice the "clunck" noise from day one taking delivery. It happens occasionally but certainly doesn't bother me as much. If BMW comes up with a solution, I'd be glad to turn the car in for the fix. If not, I can live with that. My local dealer has stated clearly that if there is an aftermarket part on the car, they will need to make a note of it and factory warranty won't cover that particular part(s) from that point. I know some dealers might be more mod-friendly, but mine isn't and for a car like this, I'd stay stock with everything for as long as the warranty last.