BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #1
Neilb76
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

Cool Blank the pcv to turbo ??

I have oil catch tanks in place. My question is why can't the pipe to the turbo be blanked of and just have the 1 pipe from the engine to the oil tank with a breather on it. ??.

Also this draws is hot air from the engine so isolate that and just have cold air entering the turbo from the filters
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilb76 View Post
I have oil catch tanks in place. My question is why can't the pipe to the turbo be blanked of and just have the 1 pipe from the engine to the oil tank with a breather on it. ??.

Also this draws is hot air from the engine so isolate that and just have cold air entering the turbo from the filters
Essentially you do not need the oil route back to the intake system. So you can "block this off" if you desire. This is done just to have the engine burn off any excess blow by ideally. It is just a matter of legality of emissions, and proper disposal of this oil given all the contents mixed together.

If you're up for it, you can try this. Only other side effect I see is causing an imbalance of the engines internal pressures. Not sure if it would be subtle or excessive, only attempting this would tell. If it is either extreme, then we all know what happens with too much or too little pressure. Do this on your own terms though if you wish, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Neilb76
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

I just thought if it goes to the oil catch can with a breather the pressure would not be that bad as it can still breath via the can...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilb76 View Post
I just thought if it goes to the oil catch can with a breather the pressure would not be that bad as it can still breath via the can...
Knowing BMW that might throw off the engine pressure balance and cause some issue, but again wouldn't know unless you're willing to try this. It probably is just that simple. Most people want to stick to everything BMW does, as "there has to be a reason" but might not be the case every time. Report back any feedback if you take the plunge, I believe for most people the cans stay empty because of this loop back to the intake piping. Maybe leaving it to the can only, will cause the positive pressure to actually empty some contents into the can for a change.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 12:39 AM   #5
bongshi4
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Gents,

My opinion is 'No, you shouldn't blank to PCV to turbo'.

According to the S63TU engine manual,
PCV hose is equipped with check valve and vent hole.
When turbo is on idle, the vent hold in PCV hose prevent the vacuum pressure in crankcase doesn't go more than 100mbar.
Meaning if you blank the PCV hose, there might be too much of vacuum created in crankcase.

I will attach the manual if you want to see the details!
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60090.50
      10-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongshi4 View Post
Gents,

My opinion is 'No, you shouldn't blank to PCV to turbo'.

According to the S63TU engine manual,
PCV hose is equipped with check valve and vent hole.
When turbo is on idle, the vent hold in PCV hose prevent the vacuum pressure in crankcase doesn't go more than 100mbar.
Meaning if you blank the PCV hose, there might be too much of vacuum created in crankcase.

I will attach the manual if you want to see the details!
This is exactly what i was thinking. BMW usually does things for a reason, and these cars might not be as easily adjustable and mainstream as the rest. Wondering if OP took the plunge, and if any feedback.
Appreciate 0