Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
gcmr
Previous M's: F06 M6GC, F10 M5, E60 M5
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Donington Grey

After one week with the M5. . .

I can report the following: If BMWs mission was to build the best daily driver in the world that turns into a ballistic missile at the touch of a button they have succeeded. Nothing else comes close. Absolutely bloody fantastic car. As a middle aged fart with money I am the target market and they have delivered the goods.

Only two things this fart wants and have been reported on by others. Some type of sports exhaust button (or even a volume button for the friggin synthesized sound which I sure as hell can't hear) and a better sound system. The aural quality of the car is quite sweet but subdued. For daily drive it's perfect but when you want to unleash the beast within it would be nice to be able to turn up the volume! Same with the stereo sound system which is ok but not up to the calibre of the car. Unless you are a boy racer do not let either of these things deter you from buying this car because it is otherwise outstanding.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmr View Post
I can report the following: If BMWs mission was to build the best daily driver in the world that turns into a ballistic missile at the touch of a button they have succeeded. Nothing else comes close. Absolutely bloody fantastic car. As a middle aged fart with money I am the target market and they have delivered the goods.

Only two things this fart wants and have been reported on by others. Some type of sports exhaust button (or even a volume button for the friggin synthesized sound which I sure as hell can't hear) and a better sound system. The aural quality of the car is quite sweet but subdued. For daily drive it's perfect but when you want to unleash the beast within it would be nice to be able to turn up the volume! Same with the stereo sound system which is ok but not up to the calibre of the car. Unless you are a boy racer do not let either of these things deter you from buying this car because it is otherwise outstanding.
Great to hear your review. BTW, what sound system do you have? Base, Professional, or B&O (if it was available at your time of order)?

Thanks and congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmr

Makes the wait until my 9/1 pickup even longer now
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Which dealership did you go to?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

Quote:

Sick is it 9/1 yet
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

You should've gotten a Panamera Turbo S with the burmester stereo if you wanted a better car audio system and its faster too.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

Quote:

Great comments! I agree on all counts.

I had to smile at your description of the target market.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Dad
Quote:

Great comments! I agree on all counts.

I had to smile at your description of the target market.
Lol so you are telling me that I'm not the target market 33 years old, 2 kids?? Oh well I guess I still have to give them my money. Maybe I'll have to grow into the car
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep

You're a fortunate individual with an understanding wife!
Good on ya!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Akili02
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (soon replaced)

: lol it was her idea had to give up motorcycle racing after a nasty wreck. And this is her fix.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep

A keeper!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
gcmr
Canada
Rep

Professional Sound comes standard in Canada. No option to upgrade for 2012 model
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
gcmr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Which dealership did you go to?
BMW Toronto
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
gcmr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
You should've gotten a Panamera Turbo S with the burmester stereo if you wanted a better car audio system and its faster too.
I drove the Panamera Turbo twice and never got comfortable in it. My brother is coming over with his new Panamera S tomorrow and I will see if I can warm up to it!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Professional means you have Bang & Olufsen ?

Quote:
Professional Sound comes standard in Canada. No option to upgrade for 2012 model
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyguy View Post
Professional is the premium sound system in the normal 5 series
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #17
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I am also thinking ordering B&O system.....Never heard it. Is it worth extra $3700 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
Professional is the premium sound system in the normal 5 series
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
I am also thinking ordering B&O system.....Never heard it. Is it worth extra $3700 ?
I have not heard it myself, but from what I have read on the forums, it's not worth it. If you can listen to it prior to ordering I would recommend it. I will be passing on it. I'm younger, I'll be listening to things like Jay-Z and Kanye. That ish cray!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
Nick45
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6, 2016 x5m,2019 m5

I heard the same it's not worth 3700.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
gcmr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Professional is the BMW brand stereo upgrade and not B&O.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
thanks for your comments, did you consider/test drive any other vehicle apart from the Panamera Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Barney Fife
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche 997 Turbo S

Quote:
I listened to both systems side by side and, much to my surprise (and disappointment), the difference was considerable. I had read the posts here and elsewhere stating that the B&O system is not a meaningful upgrade from the Premuim system that comes stock in the M5. Frankly, I had hoped the posts were accurate so that I could save $3,700. Unfortunately, after listening to both systems, back and forth and back and forth, using the identical CD, I found the B&O system significantly better. The biggest difference is the bass -- the bass on the B&O system is deep, strong and palpable (meaning you feel it). The bass on the Premium system is decent, but weak in comparison to the B&O system (you definitely do not feel it). I tried to adjust the bass on the Premium system to replicate the B&O bass, but it was not possible. The B&O system also has a fuller, richer sound. You feel enveloped by the music. Again, the Premium system is good, but not nearly as full and rich. In the end, I was compelled to order the B&O system notwithstanding the extra $3,700.

I strongly suggest that everyone listen for themselves.
Appreciate 0