M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-12-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
Grayblack
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G07 X7

Dinan tunes and traction...

Hey guys, I have a question for those that are running Dinan stage 1 or 2 tunes. Have you noticed a difference in traction? Specifically from a dig. For better, worse or none? I would assume more power = less traction. Thanks for your input in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10m5

More power less traction I just dyno'ed my stage 1 dinantronics it made 570 to the rear wheels on a dynojet....wish I had a base line dyno but I'm happy for now... I'm looking into a wider tire for the spring gonna need it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
AstonMartian777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 F06

You answered your own question, what is the point of this thread ?
      01-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFIZZLENYC View Post
More power less traction I just dyno'ed my stage 1 dinantronics it made 570 to the rear wheels on a dynojet....wish I had a base line dyno but I'm happy for now... I'm looking into a wider tire for the spring gonna need it
Your numbers are low, by about 30 HP assuming the baseline wasn't down 30 as well. Did the dyno operator or yourself turn traction control all the way off (holding the center console traction control button down for 5 seconds so that DSC is turned off as well)? That delta difference is approximately the difference we see when that traction control is still partially engaged (MDM only) when put on a dyno.

Either that or there is something else going on with the car. Any other mods, CEL or fault codes, etc?

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 01-16-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Grayblack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Non CP I'm assuming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartian777 View Post
You answered your own question, what is the point of this thread ?
Just trying to get some firsthand feedback. Relax.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I have stage two. My traction has not gotten worse by any means.
      01-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Your numbers are low, by about 30 HP assuming the baseline wasn't down 30 as well. Did the dyno operator or yourself turn traction control all the way off (holding the center console traction control button down for 5 seconds so that DSC is turned off as well)? That delta difference is approximately the difference we see when that traction control is still partially engaged (MDM only) when put on a dyno.

Either that or there is something else going on with the car. Any other mods, CEL or fault codes, etc?

No check engine lights
I turned off the traction for operator
The abs and diff lock light came on during the first run we never tried to restart the car to clear them
Did 3 pulls 556 566 and 567
What's the email i can send you the dyno sheet
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:38 AM   #8
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFIZZLENYC
Quote:

No check engine lights
I turned off the traction for operator
The abs and diff lock light came on during the first run we never tried to restart the car to clear them
Did 3 pulls 556 566 and 567
What's the email i can send you the dyno sheet
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
MFIZZLENYC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
PM sent.
Sent the dyno sheet via email I have to say the car performs great but having 30 more hp would be even better!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
Grayblack
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
I have stage two. My traction has not gotten worse by any means.
That's good to hear.

Quote:
Sent the dyno sheet via email I have to say the car performs great but having 30 more hp would be even better!
Let us know the outcome once you hear from Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #11
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayblack
Hey guys, I have a question for those that are running Dinan stage 1 or 2 tunes. Have you noticed a difference in traction? Specifically from a dig. For better, worse or none? I would assume more power = less traction. Thanks for your input in advance.
The answer depends on the conditions. At the drag strip the car was easier to 'hook up' after the Dinan tune was installed. My 60 foot times were very consistent, but not very fast (all were greater than 2 seconds). I didn't need to feather the gas pedal to get traction. It was 'MDM and mash it'. That said, when you punch it at road speeds between 35 and 50 mph, the car has much less traction. Flooring it at 40 mph forces the car into 2nd gear, and the car fishtails about 75% of the time. It happened both times I floored the car from 40 mph today, and each event was a little scary. I bailed on the throttle at about the same time the traction control system intervened. Fun, but scary. I will put new, fatter, tires on in the Spring. Hopefully that will help some.
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine
Appreciate 0