BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

Accelerator lag

So maybe this is a common problem that I just don't know about but I was going in traffic today and all of a sudden all the power to the gas pedal was cut, I put my foot all the way down and nothing. This has happened to me a couple times now and I'm not sure if this is a commons problem in m5's but I don't wanna be stuck in a situation were I need the gas and I'm cut off because that could end pretty bad. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I have noticed this a couple of times, but as far as I can work out it is under hard acceleration and the DSC cuts out the power in a very abrupt manner to prevent the wheels from spinning. It feels very abrupt. Has happened to me about 3 or 4 times in 18 months.
Not sure if that it what is happening to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Get into MDM mode and forget full DSC.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Netwon
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M5 Alpine White

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [0.00]
Smile

With my F10 M5 in all normal settings (defaults from ignition on) "gonowhereitus" is a problem I run into frequently.

If it is below 15C or raining it becomes more pronounced! The car is traction limited on any kind of loose road surface or a good road with even minimal sand/debris on it. Heck on cold tires + warm day it can be a handful in MDM/DCT off.

To combat this I have my "M1" button set up:

M Engine Dynamics (looks like speedo) = 3
M DCT = D3 (Auto shift most agressive)
Suspension = 2
Steering = 1 (Comfort)
Traction mode = leave MDM off as it requires a double click of M button to engage if MDM on/DCT off is selected (have that on M2)

This way if I need to go in a hurry and notice the car is slower then a Toyota Corolla from the 80's running on 1 good cylinder you just need to tap M1 with your left thumb and your gone NOW. I do not enjoy driving the car out of M1 mode unless I am trying to take it easy on purpose (gravel driveway).

This car requires "some" wheel spin to enjoy the drive. I am not surprised there is talk of new rear end/DCT programming on the M5 LCI. Hopefully it filters down as a software update as the above situation almost got me T-boned. One assumes a 560hp car can dart out quickly and get out of the way of another vehicle, but when it doesn't go anywhere and your almost hit you get scared to death!

The flip side of the coin is the over-aggressive DCT in default settings allows my Wife to feel safe when driving it knowing the rear end won't kick out like when I'm booting around in MDM mode. I suppose the settings are the result of lawyers trying to nanny proof everything. This is one example where too much "safety" can be a bad thing!

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

MDM mode is where it's at. Full DSC on is for newbies learning the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
Get into MDM mode and forget full DSC.
This
      05-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
MDM mode is where it's at. Full DSC on is for newbies learning the car.
On dry pavement i always drive in mdm. but the car will get away from you if you are not careful. that is part of the thrill of rear wheel drive though.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
This
it happens in MDM too. it happens period with this car.

especially if your slowly maneuvering through heavy traffic and you need to make a quick (very quick) lane change, quickly jab the accelerator its BOG CITY for a good second. except you dont "have" a second and in these situations the car can be quite clumsy and flat footed.

unless you're in 1st gear. and even then if you're stationary a quick pulse of the accelerator yields nothing but a slight rise of the rpm guage, the speedo does nothing.

im hoping downpipes may solve (or at least lessen) this pathetic aspect of the f10.

these are times i miss the e60 v10
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea I hear you guys but the thing that happened to me today was like the car was just completely gone it was like zero life in the car, no skid, no traction control take over... That's what scares me cuz I was turning into on coming traffic and the car was coming pretty quick but I got an m5 so I thought I could leap ahead pretty quickly but the car completely died on me and i was royally fucked but it kicked back in about 5 seconds later thank god the car stopped. This is what's scaring me about this car, is this normal? I know there was some recall with some oil valve or something, I could be totally wrong but I don't know if this is what's wrong with the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

How were you driving before that?? Maybe if you were driving relaxed the computer learned and was adjusting to your driving style then when you punched it it was so out of the norm from your previous driving style it took the computer a few seconds to adjust??? Happens to me at times to a degree. If all else fails down shift a couple gears and hit it. If it still does it then that might be something to have checked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Dave View Post
Yea I hear you guys but the thing that happened to me today was like the car was just completely gone it was like zero life in the car, no skid, no traction control take over... That's what scares me cuz I was turning into on coming traffic and the car was coming pretty quick but I got an m5 so I thought I could leap ahead pretty quickly but the car completely died on me and i was royally fucked but it kicked back in about 5 seconds later thank god the car stopped. This is what's scaring me about this car, is this normal? I know there was some recall with some oil valve or something, I could be totally wrong but I don't know if this is what's wrong with the car.
Did the engine light come on? I had this multiple times on my 535i and it turned out to be a turbo lag problem that they fixed by replacing the turbos. If the actuators don't react quickly enough, the software disables them and you get four cylinders worth of engine and gas. First they updated the software and the next time they figured out it was the turbo actuators being too slow. They had to replace both turbos under warranty. It is pretty scary because I was accelerating into oncoming traffic and I was going up a hill while they were coming down and other traffic was coming the other way too. In this case you cross the opposing traffic and get into a reversible lane and then merge with the uphill traffic, on a curve to boot. Car failed right as I started crossing the road. Fortunately there were no cars coming down the hill. I was able to limp up the hill and to my destination. When I turned the car off and turned it back on it was back to normal. Eventually you can't clear it that way and that is why I had to take it in.

This happened multiple times also on my wife's 2011 X5 and when it got to 47k we traded it for a X5 5.0 hoping the V-8s would not do this................
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
5 seconds...really? That I have not experienced.

I've seen 1-2 seconds max when punching it on wet pavement.
      05-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:
Did the engine light come on? I had this multiple times on my 535i and it turned out to be a turbo lag problem that they fixed by replacing the turbos. If the actuators don't react quickly enough, the software disables them and you get four cylinders worth of engine and gas. First they updated the software and the next time they figured out it was the turbo actuators being too slow. They had to replace both turbos under warranty. It is pretty scary because I was accelerating into oncoming traffic and I was going up a hill while they were coming down and other traffic was coming the other way too. In this case you cross the opposing traffic and get into a reversible lane and then merge with the uphill traffic, on a curve to boot. Car failed right as I started crossing the road. Fortunately there were no cars coming down the hill. I was able to limp up the hill and to my destination. When I turned the car off and turned it back on it was back to normal. Eventually you can't clear it that way and that is why I had to take it in.

This happened multiple times also on my wife's 2011 X5 and when it got to 47k we traded it for a X5 5.0 hoping the V-8s would not do this................
Yea I'm going to go have it checked out cuz it was pretty scary not having the power to accelerate out of a sticky situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
BLACK MARKT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5 - ALPINE WHITE

interesting ...
      05-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

No power at all...I'd say something is definitely awry. Every once in a while I get a bit of a lag in full nanny mode, but it is non-existant in MDM with throttle set to Sport or Sport+. I'd get it checked.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black

Last edited by M54ccibo; 05-22-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Next time keep the throttle steady and take notice to the dash. If its the DSC intervening:
1. You will feel the car accelerate down immediately and then slowly accelerate up to match your throttle position.
2. You will notice a DSC light flicker on the dash.

You have to realize this car has a ton of toque available at around 1,500rpm. You can't just stomp on the gas to change lanes (especially when roads are wet).. by doing so you are relying on the cars systems to drive for you. If you did this with all systems disengaged, the car would kick sideways.

If you don't notice 1 & 2 above, then I would suggest you bring the car to your dealer as this seems like a problem that needs to be investigated and fixed.
      05-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:
Everything you're saying here makes sense, except for the 5 seconds. This happened to me a few times when I first got the car. I would pull out in front of fast moving traffic, and DSC kicks in and cuts off all power to the wheels. The feeling is especially abrupt and harsh with this car as compared to others I have driven under similar circumstances, and I'm guessing it's due to this cars torque, and the resulting sensation of having all that torque instantly disappear. It feels like an eternity until power is restored, but in reality in my situation it was probably more like a second or maybe two tops. I haven't had the same issue come up while using MDM mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

It's called Drive by Wire technology. Putting it in sport mode will help some. What we need is a Sprintbooster for our cars. It worked well on my E60 M5.