M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #23
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Seems like the stupidest option for me... I will drive my own car thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #24
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Guys, no M5 for me (2014 550xi), but I have the Driver Assist Plus, ACC, and Stop & Go functions. I actually put these all to the test heavily today on a roughly 5 hour drive.

The collision warning system CAN brake the car from what I've seen, but it looks to only do it when you're driving at slower speeds (read: not highway driving), and then only after you've ignored the earlier warning (red car) and wait until it starts beeping at you.

The intelligent collision warning can be turned on/off below your headlight switch. If you have the Driver Assistance Plus package, you should have roughly 3 or 4 buttons under your headlights corresponding to lane departure warning, blind spot detection, intelligent collision, and your head up display. In my car it comes on by default every time the car is started, but you can turn it off by pressing the button.

I also have the ACC along with the Stop & Go feature. I tested this extensively today. It's pretty much designed for highway use only, and you need to activate it.

The ACC can pace the car in front of you, keeping at a distance that you specify. It's actually quite good, and it dealt with several situations extremely well, including a car cutting me off. Brakes were applied hard, and the car gave the car in front room before slowly creeping up to speed again.

The Stop & Go feature is an add-on to ACC. This is primarily meant for highway congestion where traffic may be creeping along. ACC needs to be active. When you come upon congestion, the Stop & Go function can essentially bring the car to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops. When the car in front begins to move again, your car will also begin to move again - no need to touch the brakes or accelerator.

So, there are three systems here which can essentially control the car's braking:

1. Collision Warning
2. ACC
3. ACC w/ Stop & Go

If your car is optioned with the Driver Assistance Package, look under your headlight controls, and you'll be able to toggle this on and off. Under iDrive, you'll also find settings where you can change how soon the car warns you (Early, Medium, Late).

If your car is equipped with ACC or ACC Stop & Go, you'll see a few buttons on your steering wheel that control the cruise. When you set it, you'll see two lines representing lanes appear on the dash and HUD along with bars representing the distance to keep between you and the car ahead.

I haven't owned my car that long, but I have noticed the collision warning come on a few times... never have experienced it braking the car, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #25
jonny108
Registered
Rep
Drives: bme530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM5 View Post
So, yesterday I was driving the M5 through a narrow curved street in my neighborhood. I passed a few curbside parked cars at appproximately 20 mph and all of a sudden the collision warning system went crazy.
In a matter of a second, I got both the acute audible and visual warning. And then the system intervened and did an emergency brake, locking the wheels in the process

I was baffled because obviously there was no need for an intervention - I pass parked cars like that all the time and I was in complete control. Now if the street was slippery or icy I would've probably crashed into a parked car - because of the emergency brake stop.
Even my F10 535d with active cruise control and collision warning (ACC) never made an emergency brake intervention during 100.000 + miles in heavy stop and go traffic.

Does anyone happen to have this experience? I must say I don't like at all.
Have had the same happen to me twice now on my new 530d m sport. Very scary. On both occassiosns the car was doing less than 20mph. Local dealer tested it and could not find anything. Was told that the sensors may have been covered with dirt???.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #26
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

The collision warning system works off of the camera-based driver aids module KAFAS2 and only uses the front facing camera in the rear view mirror. The M5 doesn't have room for the front facing radar for active cruise control, so ACC is not offered for the M5 so the collision warning is strictly camera based. I've never had the brakes come on, but the warnings do pop up. I've seen it fooled a couple of times by random things.

There's two main things that could be wrong: the camera or the KAFAS2 module. The camera might be messed up and if there's noise in the video it might be "seeing" some obstacle. There's also a heater in the mirror to keep the windscreen glass in front of the camera clear, so that's another possible failure point if the windscreen was foggy at the time you had the problem. If you replaced a broken windscreen, you are supposed to get the camera recalibrated because the position/orientation may have changed. And of course the KAFAS2 controller itself might have a problem.

You can just switch this system off with the buttons below the headlight control, second button from the left. The setting isn't sticky, you have to turn it off every time you start the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Saved me a few times texting and driving in my m4/m5 lmao one feature I do miss haha
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

My collision system just flashes, but it doesn’t brake on its own
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 10:55 PM   #29
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Well I didn't read through the whole thread so I'm not sure it's all American M5 or there are some European M5 in here, but my M5 in Taiwan (all official imported BMW in Taiwan are European spec) will brake for me if i get too close to the car in front of me.

Mine is 2016, and I turn the collision warning system off every time I drive because the braking is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #30
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
This thread is 4 years old

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 12:37 AM   #31
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

There is also another diagram wherein the second button shows a different symbol/picture (it shows two cars, a star and an arrow)

I think this is the one that is for a cars equipped with Front Collision Warning (but do not have Active Cruise Control???)

Anyways, here is a diagram video to show which type of features you may have on your BMW:

Appreciate 0