M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Ctsou
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

parking lot accident help

Hey guys, so recently my girlfriend was driving her car and made a small dent on another parked car in a parking lot. She left her number on the car, and now the owner of the car is being a complete beeech. I just had some questions about the situation.

My girlfriend doesn't want to go through insurance, so we didnt provide the owner any insurance information and we requested that she(the owner of the truck my gf hit) go to a shop and get us an estimate first.

Well, her(truck owner) insurance company just called my girlfriend asking a bunch of questions. Now that the owner has contacted/filed a claim with insurance, do we have no choice but to get both insurance companies involved? How can we proceed now if we ultimately did not want to get her insurance company involved?

The owner of the car is asking a bunch of questions too, asking for all her information, how should I proceed if I want to give as little information as possible for now until we can get an agreement to settle outside of insurance?

Thanks for the help!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
you don't have to have your GF's insurance company involved, but this accident will now show up on your GF's insurance records regardless. all insurance companies how share the same database, which helps them to jack up your rates next time you go get/renew your insurance (speaking from the experience)

i'd say have her call her insurance company and let them handle it. they will screw her at the end no matter what.

Also, if someone would hit my car i would DEFINITELY call my insurance company. This is pretty much the only way to make sure that the work done on your car is up to the standards. This guy hit my car on the parking lot and i was stupid enough to have it fixed through the body shop she picked. She shop looked totally legit, but when i got my car back it looked like a 7 year old painted it with spay paint.
      02-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Ctsou
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
you don't have to have your GF's insurance company involved, but this accident will now show up on your GF's insurance records regardless. all insurance companies how share the same database, which helps them to jack up your rates next time you go get/renew your insurance (speaking from the experience)

i'd say have her call her insurance company and let them handle it. they will screw her at the end no matter what.

Also, if someone would hit my car i would DEFINITELY call my insurance company. This is pretty much the only way to make sure that the work done on your car is up to the standards. This guy hit my car on the parking lot and i was stupid enough to have it fixed through the body shop she picked. She shop looked totally legit, but when i got my car back it looked like a 7 year old painted it with spay paint.

Thanks for the help! So you don't think there is a way we can withhold all information and request to pay with cash and provide a notarized statement releasing my gf of any further liabilities? ..if the situation allowed..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

ignore calls /thread
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

I'm an insurance agent.

While you may not want to go through insurance, the owner of the other vehicle might. Sometimes things can be handled seperately but sometimes they can not. People have often been screwed over in the past NOT going through insurance and don't want the experience again, regardless.

If the other party doesn't want to settle privately, you might as well give her your gf's insurance info. Sounds like since you wouldn't give it to her, she's filed a claim with her own insurance company. Her company will run records on your gf's name/license number/etc and find out what company she has. Her company will pay for the damages and the will go after your gf's company to get the money back. It will be on your gf's record as an accident which will last for 3 years.

It is best if your gf gets involved, lets her company know and tries to throw her side of the story in. At minimum, have her get in touch with the other company so she can tell the amount of damage that was made and this other lady doesn't end up replacing other things not made by your gf.

Sucks, but you've gotta be careful in parking lots. #1 area people get into small accidents.
      02-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep

nah, i guess ultimately it sup to the lady you hit, apparantly shes not trying to hear you out on paying cash....its up to you to smooth talk your way into that, otherwise she may be able to get ur insurance involved somehow
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctsou View Post
Thanks for the help! So you don't think there is a way we can withhold all information and request to pay with cash and provide a notarized statement releasing my gf of any further liabilities? ..if the situation allowed..
Not now that her insurance company knows about it. They're going to report it to your gf's company as her (your gf) being at-fault. The only chance you have now is to work it out with the lady who was hit privately, and have the claim closed before anything is paid out. Even then it may still show up on your gf's record and she may be questioned about it.
      02-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
depending on that other insurance company, but yes, this is possible. i would recommend agains that, however. her insurance company WILL find out. Knowing your history is what makes (or saves) them money. They take this process very seriously. Shareholders want to see profits!
      02-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i might not have lef tmy number...depending on how bad the damage was..how bad was it?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Ctsou
Rep

Thanks for the help guys.. and spec 1, appreciate it.

The dent on the truck isn't bad maybe 6inches in diameter, and no major paint damage.

My gfs car on the other hand.. her headlight housing is scuffed, and bumper got bent and pushed in near the headlight with some scratches.

the lady said she wanted to go to the toyota dealership to fix her car....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808six View Post
i might not have lef tmy number...depending on how bad the damage was..how bad was it?
Then you're a dousche. There are a ton of *ahem* like you who bump people all the time and just take off, leaving them to pay out of their own pocket for YOUR mistake. Grow a pair of balls and take responsibility for your actions.

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.. and spec 1, appreciate it.

The dent on the truck isn't bad maybe 6inches in diameter, and no major paint damage.

My gfs car on the other hand.. her headlight housing is scuffed, and bumper got bent and pushed in near the headlight with some scratches.

the lady said she wanted to go to the toyota dealership to fix her car....
No problem, let me know if you've got Q's and I'll be happy to help.

Yea a lot of people ONLY go to the dealer, but fwiw ANY accident over $750 is looked at the same so a few hundred extra in labor won't do anything (more) to your gf's record.

Sounds like she ran straight into the truck. She just get distracted from the road for a sec?

Last edited by Spec 1; 02-22-2010 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Then you're a dousche. There are a ton of *ahem* like you who bump people all the time and just take off, leaving them to pay out of their own pocket for YOUR mistake. Grow a pair of balls and take responsibility for your actions.

No problem, let me know if you've got Q's and I'll be happy to help.

Yea a lot of people ONLY go to the dealer, but fwiw ANY accident over $750 is looked at the same so a few hundred extra in labor won't do anything (more) to your gf's record.

How fast was your gf going? sounds like she ran straight into the truck.
Karma will come back
      02-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec 1 View Post
Then you're a dousche. There are a ton of *ahem* like you who bump people all the time and just take off. Grow a pair of balls and take responsibility for your actions.
i mis spoke, what i meant was, that if the lady was being a bitch and i was honest in what i was trying to do, looking back i might not have gone through all the trouble by leaving my number. ive had people bang my car while i was in the car, both time i let them go you probably still feel ill towards me for not reporting those two incidents since you work for an insurance company
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
i mis spoke, what i meant was, that if the lady was being a bitch and i was honest in what i was trying to do, looking back i might not have gone through all the trouble by leaving my number. ive had people bang my car while i was in the car, both time i let them go you probably still feel ill towards me for not reporting those two incidents since you work for an insurance company
how could anyone have gauged that lady's reaction? the only reason you'd have for not leaving your number or insurance info is if you're intending to skip out. otherwise you'd have to wait for them to contact you before finding out how much of a "bitch" they are.

props to you for letting people off the hook. if there was no damage to my car, i'd probably let someone off too. But what does your good nature have to do with anything? Just because you let someone off the hook doesn't mean everyone should; aren't these accidents why we buy insurance in the first place? I'm sure spec1 could care less that you didn't report a minor accident; it's not like the insurance companies paid out anything.

Someone just recently hit my rear bumper with what i'm guessing to be a shopping cart so excuse me if i'm not willing to give any hit and runners any slack. i think i'm fully justified for my hate.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

I agree with Spec and pretty much everyone here....

Don't be a douche.

Your GF did the right thing, and now she unfortunately has to pay for it. You can't have both. Either be a douche and get off the hook, karma comes back....or take responsibility and pay up.

Goodluck with the process. Too bad the lady is a bitch, she should be thankful that your GF at least left her number. I don't know too many women that would do the same....
      02-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Although this is a bitch move but I have to agree with you there.

My car gets dinged/tapped all the time. Not one single person ever came forward and give me their contact info. I had a bumper tap which left a quarter size dent on my rear bumper on my brand new 335 in 1 month of ownership..

Depending on how bad the damage was, if it was something minor. Most people wouldn't even bother giving their info. but if it was major damage then that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

There's really no point in reporting "minor" damages anyway as most people have a deductible, but it's the principal.

It sucks but insurance covers you on the big stuff, small stuff you're usually just SOL.
      02-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

damn... if i were the person who bumped into that other car, i'd only leave my first name and my number... nothing else. if that person refused to work with me on getting her car fixed, and got the insurance involved when i specifically told her not to, then i'd just deny the whole thing. most people dont record phone conversations anyway. only insurance companies do. if the insurance people ask, i'll deny everything and get my own car fixed at a private shop right away so that there is no trace of any damages on my car.

just to be sure, dont even give your own name and phone number, leave your buddies name and phone number (someone you can trust - everyone should have a few of those). this way they cant match the persons name to the description of the car if someone did see something.

in life, you always want to keep the upper hand. its nice enough that you actually left your number but i hate it when people take full advantage of it and bend you over backwards to ass rape you just cos you dropped something by mistake.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #19
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Not one single person ever came forward and give me their contact info. .
So be a bigger person, change the world, and step forward and take responsibility for your actions. If more Germans had put their foot down and taken a stand for what they KNEW was right, we wouldn't have the scar that is the Holocaust.

P.S. I'm of German roots.
Appreciate 0