M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #133
markow
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche C4S 09 reg

i could not get myself to go from the M5 to the 991 C4S. for me the only options were the ferrari 458 italia or the 991 GT3. if you want a very fast, comfortable and accomplished car with sporty aspects then stay with the M5. i doesn't get better in that category.
peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexey21 View Post
Test drove the 911 Carrera 4s and the Jag F Type S V8. Now that I have the M5, I decided a 2 door coupe would be a great buy.

First the 911 Carrera 4s. It is a great car, great noise, great handling. The only problem I realized is how lazy the M5 made me. With all that torque the M5 just goes from any gear. Sometimes on long and curvy roads, 2nd and 3rd gear is all you really need. The Porsche on the other hand has to be reved. After it hits 4k RPM, yeah it takes off, but before 4k RPM I really expected a but more. I would love to have more torque from a lower range. Of course the price is something I do not understand as well. 125k! For something slower (straight line), less comfortable, and less usable for everyday driving.

The Jag F type. Nice car. Not as good as the Porsche, but my god what a sound! It is just loud and obnoxious, and will get the whole neighborhood pissed off. Its interior, just like the Porsche, is okay. The Jag loves to drift, its a RWD car after all. I didnt like the brakes, or the suspension set up. Its just to loose on the road. Not to mention the price tag on this car is 105k

So after test driving those cars, it makes me wonder... is it even worth getting a coupe sports car? I feel like the M5 is better than the Jag, and faster than the 911 4s in a straight line, and still handles exceptionally well for such a large car. After all, what I realized is that either the cars are too expensive, or BMW is just to generous with their prices. The M5 really is the best compromise between performance and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #134
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Having fun with a couple of friends on this. .
lol...

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #135
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55
My public service is almost done.

Great dialogue between passionate members. I'm fortunate to have both options and love the trade off. Today I spent the whole day in the M6 albeit in some LA traffic. The car delivers.

Tomorrow I will drive the 991 with its bark crack and pop exhaust and enjoy the high revving NA engine. Yes I will miss the torque in the straights as I missed the nimbleness of the 991 today.

I love cars.
Oh please sir keep it coming-lol!

Yeah, THAT is why I am still losing a bit of sleep over it. I already have the F12 in the garage, but I am trying like crazy not to drive it too much since I bought it for the wife. :-)

As you know, I am over the excitement of the F10 so it will be leaving bit I hope having the F13 also isn't too redundant. Honestly, I doubt it will be since I see the coupe as a totally different animal, especially with the comp pkg upgrades. I guess worst case, of for whatever reason I get bored I can get a GT3 or Turbo next year.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #136
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:

Yeah, THAT is why I am still losing a bit of sleep over it. I already have the F12 in the garage, but I am trying like crazy not to drive it too much since I bought it for the wife. :-)

As you know, I am over the excitement of the F10 so it will be leaving bit I hope having the F13 also isn't too redundant. Honestly, I doubt it will be since I see the coupe as a totally different animal, especially with the comp pkg upgrades. I guess worst case, of for whatever reason I get bored I can get a GT3 or Turbo next year.
You guys are classic, and represent passion which why this board exist. Just saw Tim at C&O that M6 GC is smoking hot ........may have to trade up the M5. By the way high revved the 991 on the GA 400 it's a secret how fast I as going, but it was fast! Next trip today is the airport to drop off the teenager, and that will be the M5(: Best of both worlds I have to take luggage.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #137
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:

You guys are classic, and represent passion which why this board exist. Just saw Tim at C&O that M6 GC is smoking hot ........may have to trade up the M5. By the way high revved the 991 on the GA 400 it's a secret how fast I as going, but it was fast! Next trip today is the airport to drop off the teenager, and that will be the M5(: Best of both worlds I have to take luggage.
You like that "Maybelline Stripper Blue" on Tim's GC? Only place I have ever seen that is at The Pink Pony on a dancer's nails-lol! (Figured I'd bait Tim into this "passionate" discussion we are having-lol!)

The ride to C&O must have been all downhill or that Porsche wouldn't have made it-hahahahahahahaha! Kidding of course :-)

I am in a seminar all weekend. I think I'm getting delirious. This thread is the only entertainment I am getting!

Wish I had not missed this one. I would love to see that car of yours in person. The color is hot. His GC really is a very nice car. He has some sweet HREs coming for it as well. Might be ADV1. He has two sets coming. One for convertible and one for GC. Sweet collection he has there. Did you guys head to his shop afterward?

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #138
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:

The GT3 is a beast--- I got the 991 with a short term pull thru program via PFS that allows me to make 12 pmts and if I get into a turbo or another 911 they will pull thru the final 12 pmts. So this car, as impressive as it is to me, can become an orphan the moment it lets me down.

I have ADD of car ownership- most of them make a year or less and Im thinking this P car will make it to term - 12 months

Bimmer6 do tell how fast sir you were going- lets keep this going!!!!!!!

CL- I think you might have minor identity crisis with the F12 and the F13 at the same time. Hell I had it with the F10 and the F13 and they are farther related than your two potential garage beasts. Just food for thought as you contemplate your next move.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #139
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The GT3 is a beast--- I got the 991 with a short term pull thru program via PFS that allows me to make 12 pmts and if I get into a turbo or another 911 they will pull thru the final 12 pmts. So this car, as impressive as it is to me, can become an orphan the moment it lets me down.

I have ADD of car ownership- most of them make a year or less and Im thinking this P car will make it to term - 12 months

Bimmer6 do tell how fast sir you were going- lets keep this going!!!!!!!
WHAT?! This is PFS 24 mo. Lease? NOW you have me going again!

Having this deep discussion with my wife at dinner last night while we are here in Seattle for a couple's thing and I stopped her mid sentence and asked "should I just buy the Porsche?"-lol!

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #140
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Having this deep discussion with my wife at dinner last night while we are here in Seattle for a couple's thing and I stopped her mid sentence and asked "should I just buy the Porsche?"-lol!
24 months- 73 residual on the C4S

24 months- 74 residual on the C2S

these were 10k miles per year but Im not sure if the program ended in July or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #141
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You like that "Maybelline Stripper Blue" on Tim's GC? Only place I have ever seen that is at The Pink Pony on a dancer's nails-lol! (Figured I'd bait Tim into this "passionate" discussion we are having-lol!)

The ride to C&O must have been all downhill or that Porsche wouldn't have made it-hahahahahahahaha! Kidding of course :-)

I am in a seminar all weekend. I think I'm getting delirious. This thread is the only entertainment I am getting!

Wish I had not missed this one. I would love to see that car of yours in person. The color is hot. His GC really is a very nice car. He has some sweet HREs coming for it as well. Might be ADV1. He has two sets coming. One for convertible and one for GC. Sweet collection he has there. Did you guys head to his shop afterward?
We had to push the Porsche to muster up speed. I left around 0930 he was still there. That stripper car was a had tuner for all the lookers. It has me thinking as it will look nice in Shakir Orange! Big turn out it was packed .......Porsche's all over (:
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #142
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:

We had to push the Porsche to muster up speed. I left around 0930 he was still there. That stripper car was a had tuner for all the lookers. It has me thinking as it will look nice in Shakir Orange! Big turn out it was packed .......Porsche's all over (:
Wwww....sorry I missed it. Yeah, Sakhir would look very cool on they GC :-)

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #143
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

these were 10k miles per year but Im not sure if the program ended in July or not.
Wow! Very high residuals. I am going o check when I return to Atl tomm.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #144
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Honestly, I don't understand folks that have 2 cars and both of them are incredibly similar. Owning a F10 and F13 is totally redundant IMO. Spend the money on something more unique. Have a different experience. I love the M5 to Boxster Spyder combo I have right now. One is a DCT, speed and torque monster, the other is a manual, raw, convertible, nimble, steering on rails feel. 180 degrees apart. Makes the choice of which key to grab in the morning a meaningful one
      08-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #145
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Honestly, I don't understand folks that have 2 cars and both of them are incredibly similar. Owning a F10 and F13 is totally redundant IMO. Spend the money on something more unique. Have a different experience. I love the M5 to Boxster Spyder combo I have right now. One is a DCT, speed and torque monster, the other is a manual, raw, convertible, nimble, steering on rails feel. 180 degrees apart. Makes the choice of which key to grab in the morning a meaningful one
agreed. that's why we own an m5 and a highlander hybrid.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #146
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5
Well I still have m truck-lol!

I hear ya Rob but I have an itch for a new car and nothing really has excited me like the M cars. Over my M5 at this point..I have a bad habit of getting over cars fast...so figured the M6 comp pkg would be fun.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #147
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Maybe I should just get a Cayman :-) Supposed to be the most fun of all of them to drive.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #148
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Totally redundant? I argue all day that there are similarities in electronics, interior amenities, and exhaust parts along with the engine but thats where it ends. I have driven and owned both and not just done spot test drives on each. The chassis is completely different- the feel of the car on the same exact roads is not the same. I know this and even then Ill say there is some some similarities but even I cant say totally redundant. 4 doors vs 2- is a large differentiator as well. The engine, which is the same, really isnt. The ECU and throttle act differently and I dont know why but it does. Dave will echo this too- the F10 chassis is a different feel all day than the F13. Cold List will say the same...

Now an F12 vs an F13 hits closer IMHO.

I remember when I got the GTR and had a 997TT and alot of members on the other boards were like "its the same car" "why get two turbos" etc.... These two cars couldnt be more different. I dont feel 100% the same way about the F10 and the F13 but there is alot there to argue about.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #149
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

That's amazing. Do you know the 24 month residuals on the PTT and PTTS?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #150
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
That's amazing. Do you know the 24 month residuals on the PTT and PTTS?

let me check.... ill fathom they are beyond ugly

for 10k miles (thru July 31st)

PTT 58%
PTTS 56%

Terrible leasers no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #151
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob///M5 View Post
Totally redundant? I argue all day that there are similarities in electronics, interior amenities, and exhaust parts along with the engine but thats where it ends. I have driven and owned both and not just done spot test drives on each. The chassis is completely different- the feel of the car on the same exact roads is not the same. I know this and even then Ill say there is some some similarities but even I cant say totally redundant. 4 doors vs 2- is a large differentiator as well. The engine, which is the same, really isnt. The ECU and throttle act differently and I dont know why but it does. Dave will echo this too- the F10 chassis is a different feel all day than the F13. Cold List will say the same...

Now an F12 vs an F13 hits closer IMHO.

I remember when I got the GTR and had a 997TT and alot of members on the other boards were like "its the same car" "why get two turbos" etc.... These two cars couldnt be more different. I dont feel 100% the same way about the F10 and the F13 but there is alot there to argue about.
+1000 to all of this.

I would even propose that there is a vast difference in the F12 vs the F13 with the cab having less structural rigidity than a coupe and a remapped throttle to compensate for weight, much like the different feel of the several 997TT cabs vs 997TT coupes I have driven. Tim (starchild) can probably attest to the similarities and dissimilarities of them best since he currently owns an M6 coupe, cab and GC and we regularly talk about the different characteristics of each. He prefers the way the coupe drives over the others. I have to imagine that the comp pkg will differentiate the cars even more. Plus, lets not forget the obvious...sunny days around the lake-Top down baby! :-)

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #152
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
I had a reply, but then the mobile client crashed my post, so I concede
      08-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #153
tico12
tico12
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG; awaiting 2014 M5

I am a believer that "Variety is the spice of life". Definitely go for a C4S as GT3 & TT are in a different price category.

Also a believer that "To each, his own".
2009, C63 AMG, Pall. Silver/Oyster
2014, M5, AB/Silverstone. ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #154
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
+1000 to all of this.

I would even propose that there is a vast difference in the F12 vs the F13 with the cab having less structural rigidity than a coupe and a remapped throttle to compensate for weight, much like the different feel of the several 997TT cabs vs 997TT coupes I have driven. Tim (starchild) can probably attest to the similarities and dissimilarities of them best since he currently owns an M6 coupe, cab and GC and we regularly talk about the different characteristics of each. He prefers the way the coupe drives over the others. I have to imagine that the comp pkg will differentiate the cars even more. Plus, lets not forget the obvious...sunny days around the lake-Top down baby! :-)
John as I always say get what ever makes your heart content! At the end of the day you have to be happy, and will be! I stil love my 911S even though I have to push. Just took the the M5 out, and when I mash it I think of your comments raw power baby.
Appreciate 0