BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

"Frozen" Wrap Possible?

I love Frozen Grey, but am weary commiting to that for two reasons: (1) I worry that in a few years the matte craze will have passed and the frozen colors will look dated and (2) more importantly, I am very concerned about maintaining the finish, staining and rubbing in shiny spots. I know there are two different views out there as to whether this is a real concern, but without a definitive answer, I am concerned about choosing a finish that will make me even more neurotic that I am now.

Now to my question: I am going to end up spending close to $2K for a high quality clear bra. Why not spend a bit more (I would estimate $4-5K) to have the whole car wrapped in a matte film? This way, I have the protection I am looking for, don't have to worry about the finish and can always rever back to the factory paint if I tire of the matte finish.

Can it be done?
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Yes. You can do matte finish clear bra full
Wrap or 3M vinyl wrap of any color you matte.

What color is your car now?
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Don't do it they look like crap. Is see so many of them here in Miami, Maseratis and Lambos that are flat warped and look like absolute crap(and they where probably done at a good shop) I've seen many Chrome Wraps here as well
Gold chrome Maseratis, Chrome Blue Ferrari 458. Saw X6 M the other day near Dadeland that was Candy blue matte(aftermarket paint) and it looked cheesy. Imo if isn't factory then don't bother. If it where A Skyline GTR i would say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Yes. You can do matte finish clear bra full
Wrap or 3M vinyl wrap of any color you matte.

What color is your car now?
Ordering it for March delivery, but planning on Space Gray.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
Don't do it they look like crap. Is see so many of them here in Miami, Maseratis and Lambos that are flat warped and look like absolute crap(and they where probably done at a good shop) I've seen many Chrome Wraps here as well
Gold chrome Maseratis, Chrome Blue Ferrari 458. Saw X6 M the other day near Dadeland that was Candy blue matte(aftermarket paint) and it looked cheesy. Imo if isn't factory then don't bother. If it where A Skyline GTR i would say go for it.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

There was an M3 at the Thunderhill event that was black with a full matte clear bra wrap and it looked great.
Attached Images

Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black

Last edited by mwlmd; 11-04-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
There was an M3 at the Thunderhill event that was black with a full matte clear bra wrap and it looked great.
Wow! Looks graet to me. Anyone else have any experiences? Anyone know of a top end shop to do this in the NY area? I have a great shop for electronics, but awasn't blown away with the job they did on the clear bra from my E60.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
I love Frozen Grey, but am weary commiting to that for two reasons: (1) I worry that in a few years the matte craze will have passed and the frozen colors will look dated and (2) more importantly, I am very concerned about maintaining the finish, staining and rubbing in shiny spots. I know there are two different views out there as to whether this is a real concern, but without a definitive answer, I am concerned about choosing a finish that will make me even more neurotic that I am now.

Now to my question: I am going to end up spending close to $2K for a high quality clear bra. Why not spend a bit more (I would estimate $4-5K) to have the whole car wrapped in a matte film? This way, I have the protection I am looking for, don't have to worry about the finish and can always rever back to the factory paint if I tire of the matte finish.

Can it be done?
as long as i am living in london, i am not going to order frozen paint, even though i LOVE it and have no concerns about maintenance, people just cannot park in here and when i see bumper to bumper parked car next to mine, my heart stops i go and check, if there is a scratch or smth...
i guess its my "mental problems"

anyways, long story short i am in process of wrapping my silverstone II car into frozen matt with a friend of mine in his garage, will make a post once its done

dont listen to people who say its shit and looks cheap etc
you just need to do it properly, stuck material under seals, remover as many parts as possible and properly clean every single panel you wrapping

once my car is done, no one will be able to see it is wrapped from outside, obviously u can see it, once you open the door, but you can wrap it there as well, just need more time and more material, i just dont need it, as i am not changing colour, just frosting it

here is a sneak pic!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

You didn't specify where in NY you're located. If you're in the 5 Boroughs or on the Island, there's a place called Long Island Paint Protection in Great Neck that does everything including 3M matte wraps. I have no firsthand knowledge of their work but their web site looks professional.

http://longislandpaintprotection.wordpress.com/

HTH
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
You didn't specify where in NY you're located. If you're in the 5 Boroughs or on the Island, there's a place called Long Island Paint Protection in Great Neck that does everything including 3M matte wraps. I have no firsthand knowledge of their work but their web site looks professional.

http://longislandpaintprotection.wordpress.com/

HTH
Cheers
how can a website based on wordpress blog look professional man?
looks cheap and ugly
they were not even bothered to to buy 10$ domain...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

If you are going to do a matte wrap I would highly recommend a clear wrap that has metallic in it.

The reason frozen paintworks look much better than average wraps is because the paintwork is metallic. For example, I would never own a matte black M5. But a metallic matte black (frozen black) is a different story.

There is a very popular wrap installer in CA. You could call them for help picking out the right material.
      11-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@mstmng looks nice!
      11-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #13
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
how can a website based on wordpress blog look professional man?
looks cheap and ugly
they were not even bothered to to buy 10$ domain...
I didn't say fancy, I said professional - as in their level of work and the automobiles they service. Ultimately, the OP will decide what's best for him after visiting/speaking with them. I don't judge a shop's work based solely on Internet savvy and appearance; in fact, I've found the opposite to be true.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

I've seen good jobs done on these things still don't look close to as good as paint get some wheels or something. It's a 5k option from the factory for frozen paint same as wrap. Sorry but wraps are cheesy, you can clearly see the difference between a wrap and paint in real life
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Just the idea of wrapping a 100k plus car in plastics film makes me shutter
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
Mac25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Matte white

I'm still loving it, and it still looks great.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883789
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Very true. I wouldn't wrap my car either. But for some, they are tired of their paint or don't like the color anymore.. and that's the next best thing.
      11-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
If you are going to do a matte wrap I would highly recommend a clear wrap that has metallic in it.

The reason frozen paintworks look much better than average wraps is because the paintwork is metallic. For example, I would never own a matte black M5. But a metallic matte black (frozen black) is a different story.

There is a very popular wrap installer in CA. You could call them for help picking out the right material.
thats exactly what we are using, looks like original bmw frozen silver, will compare it to frozen silver, once it is completely done!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

let haters hate it!
hopefully will be finished this week!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #20
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
as long as i am living in london, i am not going to order frozen paint, even though i LOVE it and have no concerns about maintenance, people just cannot park in here and when i see bumper to bumper parked car next to mine, my heart stops i go and check, if there is a scratch or smth...
i guess its my "mental problems"

anyways, long story short i am in process of wrapping my silverstone II car into frozen matt with a friend of mine in his garage, will make a post once its done

dont listen to people who say its shit and looks cheap etc
you just need to do it properly, stuck material under seals, remover as many parts as possible and properly clean every single panel you wrapping

once my car is done, no one will be able to see it is wrapped from outside, obviously u can see it, once you open the door, but you can wrap it there as well, just need more time and more material, i just dont need it, as i am not changing colour, just frosting it

here is a sneak pic!
Wow - looks awesome! This is exactly what I had in mind. Of course, I do not have the skills or patience to do it so I will need to find a really top shop in the NYC area.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw View Post
I've seen good jobs done on these things still don't look close to as good as paint get some wheels or something. It's a 5k option from the factory for frozen paint same as wrap. Sorry but wraps are cheesy, you can clearly see the difference between a wrap and paint in real life
It is not the money. I don't think a wrap will be less expensive then ordering a frozen color. But a good friend of mine owns a local body shop that does most the work for a local BMW dealer and he has scared me off the frozen colors. I am just to worried about the maintenance. Thus, I was looking for another route to get to the same - or a similar result. I do appreciate your opinion - hell, that is why I made the post.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
DrewM5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Very true. I wouldn't wrap my car either. But for some, they are tired of their paint or don't like the color anymore.. and that's the next best thing.
The opposite is true as well. If I wrap it and tire of the matted finish, I can have the wrap removed.
Appreciate 0