BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-31-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
m5bbq
Private
Rep
Drives: M5's

Good leather dye for F10 BMW?

I got few bolster creases which don't look too bad, but this armrest wear drives me nuts.

I got an interior detail guy but he says he doesn't dye leather. Do you guys have any recommendations on which dye has best color match for F10 M5 with merino leather?

VIN decoder says my color is Merino/Silverstone 2.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
banditM3
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5

I have the same interior. Worn driver's side seat bolsters and driver's door arm rest. Used Colourlock. Perfect match. Looks great and easy to use. Just watch a couple of YouTube videos.

My arm rest wasn't that bad though, but it was a tan color because the dealer I bought it from sprayed the wrong color dye on it and the door panel. Colourlock fixed that and brought it back to the original color. Took a lot of really thin coats, and before it totally dried I wasn't impressed.....after sitting overnight though it looked almost new.

It's only been a couple of weeks so I don't really know how it's going to wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 09:13 PM   #3
m5bbq
Private
Rep

thanks!! i'll check it out. any photos of before and after?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:42 PM   #4
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5bbq View Post
I got few bolster creases which don't look too bad, but this armrest wear drives me nuts.

I got an interior detail guy but he says he doesn't dye leather. Do you guys have any recommendations on which dye has best color match for F10 M5 with merino leather?

VIN decoder says my color is Merino/Silverstone 2.

Thanks in advance!
Oh wow that would drive me NUTS, I have the similar wear on my seat on a little section of it, drives me crazy I've never dyed any leather before so I plan on tackling it soon
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #5
banditM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

I don't have before pictures, but I can get a few tonight after work.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #6
m5bbq
Private
Rep

looking forward to it bandit! is yours also "silverstone 2" color on merino?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #7
banditM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

I have the Silverstone 2 Merino as well. The lighting isn't great. If needed I can take some pictures tomorrow out in the sun. The Colourlock did a great job of hiding the dye that was worn away on the creases of the bolsters and piping. On the forward cushion it has almost hidden a stain that was in the middle of it.

On the lower cushion you can see that it only has has a light cleaning and conditioning. That's what the color on the bolster looked like before the Colourlock. The Colourlock returned the bolsters to like new...they now match the never sat in back seat.

The door panel had been sprayed (a really crappy job) a light beige. The Colourlock returned that and the arm rest back to their original color and his some slight wear near the door pull.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 11:01 PM   #8
m5bbq
Private
Rep

Looks fantastic! I can tell the difference between the prior beige & silverstone 2. Funny thing is when I contacted autoleatherdye and gave them my VIN #, they said my color was champagne which is what your lower panel looks like. Colourlock looks like a great match. I'm sold. I'll be buying their kit. Thanks for the pics!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 11:02 PM   #9
m5bbq
Private
Rep

by the way, did you use any fillers on the bolster creases? or just their dye & sealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 05:57 AM   #10
banditM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

Glad I could help.

I didn't use any filler. The regular kit was sufficient. I think the filler is for really bad cracking.

I need to do the lower panel. But it was 100 degrees that day in the garage and I was done. Took about an hour to do everything pictured. A lot of really light coats. And if you don't have a heat gun don't worry. I used the wife's hair dryer. Worked perfect.

Good luck! Post some after pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:04 AM   #11
banditM3
Private
No_Country
Rep

If you zoom in on the seat bolsters you can see all the creases and cracks... especially the upper one. They were filled in by the regular kit.

I guess the dude who owned the car before never really took care of the leather. It was clean but it needs to be cleaned and reconditioned. I've been waiting to do a full on interior detail because it goes in for a upper dashboard replacement in a few weeks since the leather has pulled up on one corner. Waited 6 months for that part to come in...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #12
passta
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I have the same color combo as well. I used Seat Doctors for the dye, giving them my VIN to match it. It's been about a month since I applied it, and its been holding up fine so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #13
m5bbq
Private
Rep

that looks fantastic! I already ordered from colourlock yesterday. Will post photos. Seat doctors seems like the same dye for much less money.
Appreciate 0