M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

08-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

You want the TRUTH??!!! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy View Post
Then there's all the caution signs noted by very smart guys about increasing boost without modifying other significant engine factors causing over heating and possible catastrophe.
That smart guy would be me. I have serious concerns over the longevity of increasing heat in the S63tu with the addition of a tune without compensating for that extra heat with greater cooling power. Then again, nobody out there has any long term longevity experience with the F10 M5 yet, but I can trust that ///M Division ran an F10 M5 past 100,000 miles in stock form without a problem.

Anyways, no need to spend $3,000 bucks dude. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I may be ordering this soon myself.

http://www.burgertuning.com/N63_Jb_B...nce_Tuner.html

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875015

A dude there in LA is already running this tune on his F13 M6 as well and has apparently bumped up the boost to 6lbs, which with this module is very easy to do, with no problems and good results.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/f10...-m6-video.html

Also, I haven't heard of the Eurocharged tune/software/piggyback, or whatever it is, removing the Top Speed Limiter. Do they have any proof of this???

My personal take, and I say this after speaking with Roman @ ESS at great length, is that there are so many M5/M6 owners out there who are desperate for a tune and that some or many of these tuners out there put something together and overcharge for it. All I know is that if I'm going to get a tune, I better know exactly what they are doing to my engine and why the price is what it is. If I'm going to pay $1 or $1,355,345 for a tune it better do exactly what I want out of a tune as well. At this point there is no tune in existence that will give me what I personally want. As I have stated before, removal of the Top Speed Limiter, removal of the CEL due to catless downpipes, a power increase is the least of my concerns at this point due to what I have stated as my concerns for cooling of this engine.

Last edited by RPiM5; 08-13-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

So I get it, I disagree with your statement and don't say anything negative against you and you say I sound like a turncoat and call me a tool along with other people. Wow dude thats a Sissy Bitch move with your throwed off lingo. We have what we want in this car. The thing is, we are upgrade and horsepower junkies. You probably cant understand that as it's probably beyond your 3rd grade learning curve. During your wild rant Kinda sounded like you had your shit pushed in like that movie training days. Go use the bathroom and you'll be ok. And I still haven't called you any names. Wish the best for ya man. Just because your satisfied dont mean we cant push the limits with this car and that is what we are looking for. Its ok though as the masses spoke to you. Lets see if you make it 12 posts. I bet your just ready to hit the send button. Come on you can do it. Just push send man. All stuff being said, all we want is to move forward in helping to transform these cars into what we want them to be. Not what one person thinks they should be. To be different is a great thang!!

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
So I get it, I disagree with your statement and don't say anything negative against you and you say I sound like a turncoat and call me a tool along with other people. Wow dude thats a Sissy Bitch move with your throwed off lingo. We have what we want in this car. The thing is, we are upgrade and horsepower junkies. You probably cant understand that as it's probably beyond your 3rd grade learning curve. During your wild rant Kinda sounded like you had your shit pushed in like that movie training days. Go use the bathroom and you'll be ok. And I still haven't called you any names. Wish the best for ya man. Just because your satisfied dont mean we cant push the limits with this car and that is what we are looking for. Its ok though as the masses spoke to you. Lets see if you make it 12 posts. I bet your just ready to hit the send button. Come on you can do it. Just push send man. All stuff being said, all we want is to move forward in helping to transform these cars into what we want them to be. Not what one person thinks they should be. To be different is a great thang!!

I'm sorry, I wasn't supposed to use any smilies, but Boots, this one made me crack up and it's just calling for a smillie even though that is what got me in trouble earlier.

08-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

Just doing my civic duty bro. Smiles is what makes the world go round. There are too many people getting too serious. M5 army from Houston Tx. Does this mean that he wont let me buy down pipes?

Country run
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Maybe that Velos tune of his is netting him 1,500hp and he doesn't want to share. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #28
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't supposed to use any smilies, but Boots, this one made me crack up and it's just calling for a smillie even though that is what got me in trouble earlier.

Excellent use of smilies sir. I commend you.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #29
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

wow! enough said.
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep

It's good that we can laugh at things and keep moving forward. If it wasn't for rpim5 I wouldn't have my gtm pipes. Also many others wouldn't either. It takes us all to push the envelope of tuning to get where we want. It took Ind to source out to Ams to develope down pipes. And many cars dawn those now. I think we are all blessed to be able to mod such an expensive car and that's the fun part.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #31
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

I ran out of Give me 10 and I will be back with a fresh bag.
      08-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

I have a Switzer piggyback tune and love it..5K miles and no issues.
Is it the most optimal solution probably NOT...Do i get 600WHP and loving it...YES

Regardless what you do there will be always be risk when it comes to tuning the F10 M5. Either wait it out or take a risk...your decision everyone.

But on a more important note, inquisitive minds want to know how Velos removed the top speed limiter. Please tell us.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #33
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
I have a Switzer piggyback tune and love it..5K miles and no issues.
Is it the most optimal solution probably NOT...Do i get 600WHP and loving it...YES

Regardless what you do there will be always be risk when it comes to tuning the F10 M5. Either wait it out or take a risk...your decision everyone.

But on a more important note, inquisitive minds want to know how Velos removed the top speed limiter. Please tell us.
Niko, do you have a boost gauge? If yes, what is the peak boost you are seeing?
      08-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Niko, do you have a boost gauge? If yes, what is the peak boost you are seeing?
Yes i do.
I believe the highest i've seen recently was 22.8 at about 130MPH.

The highest i'd seen before tune was 18.2 @ about 160mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #35
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes i do.

I thought US cars were supposed to be at 22.8 to begin with. All this doesnt make sense. I would love to see some consistency from BMW as far information delivery. I still have on of the oldschool manual boost gauges and I was thinking about T'ing off one of the vacuum lines and running the boost gauge inside the car. My car is a 4/13 production. What date is yours?
I would love to know if anything changed along the way.
      08-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #36
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

priorities priorities.. side bolsters > tune..

kidding aside.. I tried Terry's N63 tune but now have the Switzer package minus the exhaust. Like Niko I am very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #37
Warehouser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X5M TBlue2

Quote:
Yes i do.

P3Cars boost gauge or did you tap a vac line yourself?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #38
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I did speak with Eurocharged yesterday and the gentleman on the phone was very knowledgable and spent a far bit of time explaining how they tune the car. His claim is that they have an actual tune, not piggyback that will in fact remove the top speed limiter and add approximately 55 or 75 WHP. These stage 1 and stage 2 tunes are available right now and they included a loaded laptop as part of their package. They load it remorely.

After spending 20 minutes on the phone listening to the details of how they download and upload the code, I ask him if he we're a somewhat conservitive guy like me, and you had some concerns about warranty, what would you recommend the best course of action would be. He blew me away with his answer.

HE SAID, IF IT WAS HIM, AND HE HAD OVER $100K INVESTED IN A NEW M5, HE'D OPT FOR A PIGGY BACK TUNE FROM SOMEONE LIKE SNITZER RATHER THEN THE TUNE THEY OFFERED. HE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS SAFER, AND ONCE REMOVED, BMW COULD NEVER PROVE YOU HAD IT ON THE CAR. HE EXPLAINED THAT IN HIS OPINION, HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

I'm still confused, but thought I'd share what they said.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #39
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiguy
I did speak with Eurocharged yesterday and the gentleman on the phone was very knowledgable and spent a far bit of time explaining how they tune the car. His claim is that they have an actual tune, not piggyback that will in fact remove the top speed limiter and add approximately 55 or 75 WHP. These stage 1 and stage 2 tunes are available right now and they included a loaded laptop as part of their package. They load it remorely.

After spending 20 minutes on the phone listening to the details of how they download and upload the code, I ask him if he we're a somewhat conservitive guy like me, and you had some concerns about warranty, what would you recommend the best course of action would be. He blew me away with his answer.

HE SAID, IF IT WAS HIM, AND HE HAD OVER $100K INVESTED IN A NEW M5, HE'D OPT FOR A PIGGY BACK TUNE FROM SOMEONE LIKE SNITZER RATHER THEN THE TUNE THEY OFFERED. HE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS SAFER, AND ONCE REMOVED, BMW COULD NEVER PROVE YOU HAD IT ON THE CAR. HE EXPLAINED THAT IN HIS OPINION, HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY.

I'm still confused, but thought I'd share what they said.
Well he lost all credibility on that one . If they really cracked the ECU he would know the boost values are recorded and BMW can and would look at this if a warranty claim was made for engine failure .
This is another version of a BMW press file , whoopty do . Be patient real tunes will come soon from ESS , Dinan etc soon .
George
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #40
Protious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I guess in one way it's sort of true, they would still have to prove that you tuned your car if you got a lawyer involved. While on the other hand, it's pretty easy to prove if you know, their ECU has been overwritten by a "custom" or "press file" copy.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #41
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wonder if the so called press file really is just a simple coding option... Just like coding DVD in motion etc...

I know that on the Euro versions of some diesel and detuned regular engines, the different output level is decided via a choice available via coding...

For instance we have the 523i, 528i and 530i with 204, 258 and 272hp respectively. They all share the same N53B30 engine (only difference is no three stage DISA manifold on the 523i). Via coding it's in principle possible to choose engine configuration (0 is 523i, 1 is 528i and 2 is 530i). Same with the 520d which comes in 163 and 184hp versions.

Just a thought

BTW. Vmax (speed limit) is also a coding option...
But with rumours regarding that it must be done within 10hours or a certain mileage after production/delivery before it's locked.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #42
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Wonder if the so called press file really is just a simple coding option... Just like coding DVD in motion etc...

I know that on the Euro versions of some diesel and detuned regular engines, the different output level is decided via a choice available via coding...

For instance we have the 523i, 528i and 530i with 204, 258 and 272hp respectively. They all share the same N53B30 engine (only difference is no three stage DISA manifold on the 523i). Via coding it's in principle possible to choose engine configuration (0 is 523i, 1 is 528i and 2 is 530i). Same with the 520d which comes in 163 and 184hp versions.

Just a thought

BTW. Vmax (speed limit) is also a coding option...
But with rumours regarding that it must be done within 10hours or a certain mileage after production/delivery before it's locked.
This was actually said in a joking manner here a few says ago, but I was able to verify that the so-called "press tune" is actually the tune that the competition pkg has received.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #43
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
This was actually said in a joking manner here a few says ago, but I was able to verify that the so-called "press tune" is actually the tune that the competition pkg has received.
The guys who code all the stuff have access to all the BMW files (I have actually downloaded all of the latest files myself. They are over 20Gb in compressed format...)

Apparently all the software is supposed to be there and this has the files that is used when changing from one engine map to another, or updating engine software (or for any other component).

If that's the case, then the competition pack/press file should also be available via coding. And I might even have it on my own computer...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #44
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

It might in fact be there then. I got word yesterday from a friend who confirmed it with engineers at BMW 100%.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0