11-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

F10 M5 Specs???

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
With the recent release of the new 5-series comes some serious curiousity.

Its safe to say that the TT v8, found in the X5M/X6M, will be lowered into this monster. But what will the output of the motor be in comparision?

Do you guys think it will be rated at 555hp, or will it be up above 600?

The X6M sprints to 60 in roughly 4.1-4.2 seconds. Can we anticipate sub 4 second performance?

Another thing that has perked my attention is "Tuneablity". Just like our beloved n54, this motor has two hair dryers attached to it. Any word on possible tunes for the engine?

Answers please
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I don't think official power numbers will be over 600HP, but sub-4s 0-60 runs are pretty likely. No idea on tuneability - under 4.0s 0-60 not enough?

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I bet it will be 600 and I sure hope it is tuneable but I doubt we will see the % gain that we see with the n54's.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
I bet it will be 600 and I sure hope it is tuneable but I doubt we will see the % gain that we see with the n54's.
Whats your reasoning??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Whats your reasoning??
Just speculating, but mabye his reasoning is because it's already FI'd.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

This speculation is going to go on for a long time. The M5 didn't come out for 2 years after the E60 debuted. My dealer told me to expect the same delay for this one.

Don't get me wrong....I can't wait to find out more about this beast as I want it in my garage too.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
///M PWR 00
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche

Do we know yet wether or not the M5 will recieve wider quarters/fenders? Seems like the M3 is the only M car to ever get widened... stupid
      11-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
This speculation is going to go on for a long time. The M5 didn't come out for 2 years after the E60 debuted. My dealer told me to expect the same delay for this one.

Don't get me wrong....I can't wait to find out more about this beast as I want it in my garage too.
The new M5 is expected to come out quicker than in previous generations. As seen by the string of spy photos, the F10 M5 has been tested in conjunction with the regular F10 sedan.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The new M5 is expected to come out quicker than in previous generations. As seen by the string of spy photos, the F10 M5 has been tested in conjunction with the regular F10 sedan.
Thanks! I'm going to guess that you might have done a little more homework than the sales guy we were talking to.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I would assume pushing 600, but more importantly, the torque will be up big over the current v10
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

I am pretty sure they will leave it in the same power output as the X5/X6M. Unlike AMG, BMW does no like to have different output from the same engine just for marketing purpouse. Besides, even at the same power level it will be the one of the most powerful car in its calss.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

F10 M5 will have better 0-60 time given that it's at least 1000 lbs lighter than X5M.

As for appearance, the kidney grill will be wider than the standard 5er.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
F10 M5 will have better 0-60 time given that it's at least 1000 lbs lighter than X5M.

But with the huge torque that the X5M puts down....how is the M5 going to get the power to hook up???

The X5M has 305's on the back...which I'm pretty sure aren't going to fit on the new M5.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
jonsibal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: widebody hooptie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post

From what I understand, it will be "thicker" but not necessarily wider.

BMW had done this back then with the E39. The early models had the thin kidney grill surrounds and when the M5 came out, they also updated the kidney grill surrounds to a thicker version which then replaced all the e39 models that was built after 9/2000.

The F10 kidney grills is wider though compared to the E60 model.
      12-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
It's silly to say that they won't be able to control this dramatic increase in torque compared to the old M5 but there is no doubt it will cause them headaches. Putting upwards on 555hp and similar amounts of torque through only the rear tyres is awfully difficult, especially when more of the weight is placed else where. This thing has the potential to light up the rear wheels well into third gear with relative ease and that will probably be in the dry.

I question the sanity of this amount of power in a rwd family saloon and I don't doubt given the option that BMW would have preferred to not have increased the amount the E60 already had but to compete they had little option.

It will be interesting to see how things play out and to see if this amount of power isn't a backward step. Another interesting thing is KERS and whether it's part of the package and if so will it power the front axle to help aid traction and stability.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #16
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
All future ///M products will come to market quicker than in the past. The cars will co-designed from the get-go. ///M will have some say in production vehicles to make the upgrade a bit easier. The F10 is the first to see this collaboration. Dr. Kay made this a point when he was appointed head of ///M. There is a market for the cars from the get-go but they have not been available at that point. To increase profits per model they need the full length of the production run. We may even see the ///M5 next fall FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
I am pretty sure they will leave it in the same power output as the X5/X6M. Unlike AMG, BMW does no like to have different output from the same engine just for marketing purpouse. Besides, even at the same power level it will be the one of the most powerful car in its calss.
They will have different output from this engine from everything I have been told since July- they can (and will) tune this differently than in the SAVs, the SAVs needed a flat high value torque line. They can make this engine rev higher and have a peak curve for torque. I originally heard a higher HP number and a lower torque number in part due to software and different turbos. What they are currently testing I am not sure as they have become more tight lipped about things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I question the sanity of this amount of power in a rwd family saloon and I don't doubt given the option that BMW would have preferred to not have increased the amount the E60 already had but to compete they had little option.

It will be interesting to see how things play out and to see if this amount of power isn't a backward step. Another interesting thing is KERS and whether it's part of the package and if so will it power the front axle to help aid traction and stability.
hmmm power to the front axle... you might be onto something there or maybe some sort of specialized rear axle.... Oh the possibilities!
      12-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
They will have different output from this engine from everything I have been told since July- they can (and will) tune this differently than in the SAVs, the SAVs needed a flat high value torque line. They can make this engine rev higher and have a peak curve for torque. I originally heard a higher HP number and a lower torque number in part due to software and different turbos. What they are currently testing I am not sure as they have become more tight lipped about things.
That is exactly my take on things, the SUV is a heavy vehicle with 4wd so it can easily cope with a huge torque curve working from little revs but when you are talking about a rwd car with at very best 50/50 balance and not the customary 44/56 balance needed with this kind of output at the very least tweaking the delivery to a more traditional N/A type curve would be beneficial. This is my understanding of what may well be seen with the M3 and it's why I believe too many are dismissive of the very idea simply because they are taking their pointers from the likes of the N54.

Tight lipped is something I have been use to over the years, but especially so in the recent months since the arse fell out of the world's economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
hmmm power to the front axle... you might be onto something there or maybe some sort of specialized rear axle.... Oh the possibilities!
Either could be a possibility but such a setup at the front would cause their ideal 50/50 balance to be very difficult to obtain. Though I honestly believe it would be the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 ///M COUPE

Garage List
Quote:
That is exactly my take on things, the SUV is a heavy vehicle with 4wd so it can easily cope with a huge torque curve working from little revs but when you are talking about a rwd car with at very best 50/50 balance and not the customary 44/56 balance needed with this kind of output at the very least tweaking the delivery to a more traditional N/A type curve would be beneficial. This is my understanding of what may well be seen with the M3 and it's why I believe too many are dismissive of the very idea simply because they are taking their pointers from the likes of the N54.

Tight lipped is something I have been use to over the years, but especially so in the recent months since the arse fell out of the world's economy.

Either could be a possibility but such a setup at the front would cause their ideal 50/50 balance to be very difficult to obtain. Though I honestly believe it would be the right decision.

The E55 AMG had 516lbt of torque and it managed to hook that up through the rear wheels with devastating results. Even look at the modified E55's pushing 600+ Hp and matching torque driving deep into the 11's and high 10's

I think a more sophisticated Dynamic stability control system would be the easiest way to utilize the big power this car will have. Just look at the boost ramp used on HPF ///M3's.

What is sane when speaking of 500hp "family sedans" ? Im sorry but when you playing in this realm, sanitity can't be applied. These are uber powerfull flagships and while I wish the focus was on providing the best possible driving experience (power to weight and response) unfortunately people expect big output from these monsters and alot of the consumers in this market only want to see bigger "numbers" (BHP/TQ).

Not that im complaining, i just wish we could have gotten an F10 ///M5 with
the E60 ///M5 CSL 5.5 with DCT and drop maybe 100 pounds in weight. But emissions have killed it for us so on with the relentless march of "progress"...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
That is your personal opinion, I on the other hand don't agree that the mighty AMGs cope that great with their kind of power and nowhere near as well as a car like the RS6 can. My I suggest you try and use all the available power without the ESP button enabled, what you will get is clouds of smoke, a very lively tail and a third of your tyre life at best.

You quote acceleration times based of dragstrip figures, a surface designed to aid traction on cars with ten times this amount of power.

Maybe in your world that is the only thing of importance but in the realms of the real world these cars have to cope with normal roads, changing weathers and average driving skills. So manufacturers have a duty to make even their looniest models a little sane.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is your personal opinion, I on the other hand don't agree that the mighty AMGs cope that great with their kind of power and nowhere near as well as a car like the RS6 can. My I suggest you try and use all the available power without the ESP button enabled, what you will get is clouds of smoke, a very lively tail and a third of your tyre life at best.

You quote acceleration times based of dragstrip figures, a surface designed to aid traction on cars with ten times this amount of power.

Maybe in your world that is the only thing of importance but in the realms of the real world these cars have to cope with normal roads, changing weathers and average driving skills. So manufacturers have a duty to make even their looniest models a little sane.
Thats why I suggest a more sophisticated traction control system that can reign in the BHP where traction will not allow it. A perfect example would be the F1 mode seen in modern ferrari's such as the F430 and more recently
F458. They have increased the power consistently each successive model without having to resort to leaving a RWD layout for an AWD in the quest for maintaining traction.

Yes an RS6 Provides wonderfull traction, but pure straight line acceleration can get boring after a while. Having to balance the power to control the rear end on corner exit or in fact controlling a slide from the apex to track out point is much more exciting in my opinion. As an ///M owner and part of a 3 ///M household it is this balance that excites us most. In the end we prefer fun wheel drive over outright traction in any condition but that being said a DSC mode created in the same light as ferrari's mannetinio F1 system could provide the best of both worlds.

Also as you can see my world is centered on road racing and autocrossing, with a Z4 ///M Coupe at that. Straightline acceleration is all fun and good, but for me is the corners that get my pulse racing and really seperate the men from the boys.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Totally agree, an F458 type system would be the way forward. Whether it will be offered with something like that will have to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #22
Bammered
Track Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Totally agree, an F458 type system would be the way forward. Whether it will be offered with something like that will have to be seen.
Now can get that advanced DSC AND a more high revving turbo powerplant?
Appreciate 0