BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
SF_DCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Cayenne S

Carseats

Does anyone use the Clek Foonf rear facing? I'm trying to figure out if it will fit before I order.
Retired: 2008 Cayman S, Black/Black, 6MT
Retired: 2007 E92 328i, JB/Black, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
ykjones
Master Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 Signapore Gray

No experience with those but I do swear by the Diono Radian RXT. Such awesome car seats and we had 2 Recaro's for the kids prior to that. Built like a tank with steel frame, slim design (can fit 3 across if needed), folds flat for travel and much more.Name:  IMG_3516.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  73.9 KB
VF Engineering Hex Stage 1, RPI GTM Black edition, KW HAS, Dinan sway bars, Matt Schnell spacers, IND black chrome, M Performance rear spoiler, M Performance rear diffuser, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, ESS stainless steel brake lines, EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads, BMC air filters, charcoal filter delete, sprint booster, V1w/Blendmount, BIM coding all options, Pedal Haus pedals, Formula One Pinnacle Tint
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

You may be able to do rear facing if it's in the center back seats. The m5 front seats are thick, and if you are of average height, those seats will be pushed back too much;. There's actually not that much room behind the front seats. I haven't actually tried rear facing since my kids are in boosters now, but just eye balling the rear, I think only the center position may work, unless you and front passenger have really short legs.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykjones View Post
No experience with those but I do swear by the Diono Radian RXT. Such awesome car seats and we had 2 Recaro's for the kids prior to that. Built like a tank with steel frame, slim design (can fit 3 across if needed), folds flat for travel and much more.Attachment 1580821

I agree! I have one for my 5yr old and just about to get one for my 2yr old who can now face forwards.

Do you have any probs with the upper metal part and/or buckle pushing into the seat leather? It freaks me out, I have doubled up microfiber towels back there behind the metal pieces because I feel like long term it's going to permanently put a divot in the leather there. Just wondering if you have any methods around that.

And yeah -- rear facing in the M5 is HARD! I had to put my son in the middle in a Britax rear-facing and even then, the front seats couldn't go back that far.

Now I just need someone to tell me how to keep them from poking the fragile-looking HVAC controls with their feet. I'm about ready to just strap soft booties on their feet before they can get in the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
ykjones
Master Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
I agree! I have one for my 5yr old and just about to get one for my 2yr old who can now face forwards.

Do you have any probs with the upper metal part and/or buckle pushing into the seat leather? It freaks me out, I have doubled up microfiber towels back there behind the metal pieces because I feel like long term it's going to permanently put a divot in the leather there. Just wondering if you have any methods around that.

And yeah -- rear facing in the M5 is HARD! I had to put my son in the middle in a Britax rear-facing and even then, the front seats couldn't go back that far.

Now I just need someone to tell me how to keep them from poking the fragile-looking HVAC controls with their feet. I'm about ready to just strap soft booties on their feet before they can get in the car.
No problems yet with the upper metal or buckle pushing into the leather. Will give a good inspection tomorrow night when I take both seats out for suspension install on Wed.

Our kids are the same age at 2 and 5. I just got the newest one for our 2 yr old girl who can now face front and she was always jealous of big brother's seat.

Yes with the HVAC controls! I've almost stopped the car to tell the boy to stop touching the controls with his feet.
VF Engineering Hex Stage 1, RPI GTM Black edition, KW HAS, Dinan sway bars, Matt Schnell spacers, IND black chrome, M Performance rear spoiler, M Performance rear diffuser, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, ESS stainless steel brake lines, EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads, BMC air filters, charcoal filter delete, sprint booster, V1w/Blendmount, BIM coding all options, Pedal Haus pedals, Formula One Pinnacle Tint
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

Haha, I'm in the same boat, except older girl/younger boy. he is SO PSYCHED to be able to ride facing forwards. He'll be even more excited to have the same seat. He loves the M5 engine sound & acceleration a lot more than my daughter. Boys are definitely different than girls.

It's so weird to find a car forum on a 560HP car where there's people talking about car seats. Usually that's reserved for a SUV/minivan forum
Appreciate 2
jshin70.00
A.dot234.50
      02-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #7
SpiderM5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
the Clek seats look nice. they have a smaller version - the Fllo. let me know if you try it out.

i currently use a Cybex Cloud Q - the one that reclines and also has the load leg. it fits rear-facing kinda tight already and it looks much smaller than the Clek seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
SF_DCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I assumed when I got the M5 there would be plenty of space back there given how much bigger it is than all my previous cars, but our infant seat is already tight, and I am by no means tall. Will let you know if I end up trying the Clek.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:43 PM   #9
F10M5SoccerDad
Private
Rep
Drives: AW F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykjones View Post
No experience with those but I do swear by the Diono Radian RXT. Such awesome car seats and we had 2 Recaro's for the kids prior to that. Built like a tank with steel frame, slim design (can fit 3 across if needed), folds flat for travel and much more.Attachment 1580821
I have the Recaro's and also the Diono's. Definitely prefer the Diono's since they sit lower than the Recaro's.
Appreciate 1
A.dot234.50
      03-01-2017, 12:26 AM   #10
ykjones
Master Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post

Took the kiddos seats out tonight in prep for tomorrow's suspension install and yes the metal part has been pushing into the leather. Will definitely provide some padding there when I put their seats back in. Thanks for mentioning it. Amazing to see all their crumbs and toys back there from removing the seats! haha
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
topspd
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 ultimate pkg M5, '19 RRS

I'm using two Clek Foonf's, but they're front facing now. I had them rear facing when I had an X5 and I recall the back of the driver seat just touching the car seat while in my seating position (6ft). No issues now that they're front facing.

With 2 Foonfs, my wife or MiL could sit in the middle with the X5. With the M5, my wife can just squeeze between. I measured the difference before and I recall the M5 is about half - 3/4 inch smaller between centre latch points.

I use seat protectors to reduce the wear on the leather. After 3 years of 2 baby seats, rear facing, then front facing child seats in the X5, there were only slight indentations in the leather that have probably relaxed by now (sold it).
Attached Images

Last edited by topspd; 03-02-2017 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep

6 Months with the diono, I took it out to move it to the other side, changing to a booster for my daughter and giving the diono to my 2yrold son.

Here's the state of the seat, WARNING DIRTY CAR. This is right as I pulled the seat out, before any cleaning. It's a sad state. There's sunscreen on the leather, crumbs, and still some indentations despite the thick towel doubled up behind there. I hope the indentations come out, partly why I am moving the diono to the other side. I cleaned everything else up pretty much 100%.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 08:10 PM   #13
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

I use only the Diono RXT on all of my cars due to its build quality and being slim. Also they dont look like they are highwhen kids seat on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
A.dot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C; '21 X7M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspd View Post
I'm using two Clek Foonf's, but they're front facing now. I had them rear facing when I had an X5 and I recall the back of the driver seat just touching the car seat while in my seating position (6ft). No issues now that they're front facing.

With 2 Foonfs, my wife or MiL could sit in the middle with the X5. With the M5, my wife can just squeeze between. I measured the difference before and I recall the M5 is about half - 3/4 inch smaller between centre latch points.

I use seat protectors to reduce the wear on the leather. After 3 years of 2 baby seats, rear facing, then front facing child seats in the X5, there were only slight indentations in the leather that have probably relaxed by now (sold it).
What seat protectors are you using?

It's finally come time for me to install the infant car seat base and I want to try and save the leather as much as possible.

'17 F85 X5M | AW | IMOLA | EISENMANN | IND | OEM M-PERFORMANCE -- (SOLD)
'13 F10 M5 | SG | SAKHIR | AKRA | HRE | IND | RKP | OEM M-PERFORMANCE -- (SOLD)
'05 E46 M3 | CB | CINNAMON | EISENMANN | IND | OEM CSL GOODIES -- (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

I've been using this one for a few months and it's protecting the seat so far. See also topspd's posted pic above, looks to be the same Diono mat.
https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Ultra-F...iono+protector
Appreciate 1
A.dot234.50
      07-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #16
A.dot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M5C; '21 X7M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
I've been using this one for a few months and it's protecting the seat so far. See also topspd's posted pic above, looks to be the same Diono mat.
https://www.amazon.com/Diono-Ultra-F...iono+protector

Nice - thank you! These actually look great... and will go well with my Sakhir interior

'17 F85 X5M | AW | IMOLA | EISENMANN | IND | OEM M-PERFORMANCE -- (SOLD)
'13 F10 M5 | SG | SAKHIR | AKRA | HRE | IND | RKP | OEM M-PERFORMANCE -- (SOLD)
'05 E46 M3 | CB | CINNAMON | EISENMANN | IND | OEM CSL GOODIES -- (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
DRiFT_645
MPOWERED5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I got the Diono in my Range. Toughest seat ever held. But boy is that seat heavy! Got an evenflo Front facing in the M.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #18
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1st 1000WHP F10M5 in the world

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Just tried out the clek rear facing in the wife's range rover HSE and lets just say I had to drive with HER seat settings because thats as far as i could go back before damaging the leather. Ill take a pic if necessary
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 12:02 AM   #19
SF_DCT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I've been using the Clek rear facing in the M5 for a couple months now and it fits surprisingly well. It sits quite high, which I think helps it clear the front seat a bit better. I'm 5'8" though, probably have another inch to spare. If you're taller, it should fit behind the passenger seat just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #20
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

I have a Diono RXT behind the passenger w the angle adjusted and a really tightly squeezed in Cybex Aton 2 on the middle hump (M6). Both are rear facing. I only have to adjust my seat up an inch for my normal driving position when the infant seat is in the middle. Passenger is comfortable even w the Diono behind that seat.

+1 on the Diono being heavy and a bit of a pain to install/remove. We bought another for our other car bc it was a hassle moving it back/forth from the vehicles.
Appreciate 0