Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Blew my engine

2014 MT F10, driving down I-95, 100% stock

Just got the car back from a service. They said they found a coolant leak and fixed it.

Lost power steering + power brakes. Engine died, 0rpm. Was doing 90mph, had to pull over and not get into an accident.

Had to pay $4/mile to get it towed 150 miles from where I was because I was going on vacation (BMW Roadside said they'll reimburse this), took the entire day to get sorted out. They almost wanted to tow me to the local town dealer, have me wait Saturday night + Sunday until Monday before my car would even get accepted into service. I paid the extra to tow it back to my home town.

Got the call from my dealer: engine is locked up. That recall for the S63tu/N63s about failing oil pumps doesn't apply to 2014s, but I'm wondering if mine was right around the same time manufacturing wise. I was affected by a previous recall that didn't match my vehicle year in a similar fashion where I snapped my driveshaft propeller...

They are opening a claim with BMW to replace the entire engine, because it's most likely "the cheaper option".

How long does this usually take? I'm sure somebody else here had to have gone through this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1st 1000WHP F10M5 in the world

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
2014 MT F10, driving down I-95.

Just got the car back from a service. They said they found a coolant leak and fixed it.

Lost power steering + power brakes. Engine died, 0rpm. Was doing 90mph, had to pull over and not get into an accident.

Had to pay $4/mile to get it towed 150 miles from where I was because I was going on vacation (BMW Roadside said they'll reimburse this), took the entire day to get sorted out. They almost wanted to tow me to the local town dealer, have me wait Saturday night + Sunday until Monday before my car would even get accepted into service. I paid the extra to tow it back to my home town.

Got the call from my dealer: engine is locked up. That recall for the S63tu/N63s about failing oil pumps doesn't apply to 2014s, but I'm wondering if mine was right around the same time manufacturing wise. I was affected by a previous recall that didn't match my vehicle year in a similar fashion where I snapped my driveshaft propeller...

They are opening a claim with BMW to replace the entire engine, because it's most likely "the cheaper option".

How long does this usually take? I'm sure somebody else here had to have gone through this.
Damn RIP.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      07-19-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Good luck with this. Going to subscribe for updates!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Sorry to hear. Which loaner did they give you?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:

I'm subscribing.

Any details? Were you passing someone or just rolling long with cruise control?

What kind of coolant leak was it that they had fixed?

Do you know the build date of your car? Did you buy it new?

I have a similar car and my warranty goes out this year so this is concerning to me for sure. I hope it all works out in your favor.

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Sorry to hear. Which loaner did they give you?
I'm very lucky to say that I also have a BMW M6.

As soon as the tow truck driver dropped me off, after a 3 hour ride (and a "what is life all about conversation, no less), I headed right to the strip club.

Blow up M5, show up M6.

This was only after baking in the sun for an hour before he picked me up (and getting honked and pointed at on the highway as "that young lad" who thinks he is a bigshot and has a nice car, until it's broken down on the side of the road") by truck drivers and the other 4 lanes of traffic.
Appreciate 3
      07-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
I'm subscribing.

Any details? Were you passing someone or just rolling long with cruise control?

What kind of coolant leak was it that they had fixed?

Do you know the build date of your car? Did you buy it new?

I have a similar car so this is concerning to me for sure. I hope it all works out in your favor.

-Dave
Dave,

Check out this:

http://www.***********.com/images/im...13482523-1.jpg

http://www.***********.com/showthrea...aulty-oil-pump

I may or may not have been "attempting" to pass a Focus ST...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Never mind just saw it was stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

So did the dealer confirm that you have a failed oil pump then? Is this the official reason why your engine failed?

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #10
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben7520 View Post
You are unsubscribing because it is stock?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So did the dealer confirm that you have a failed oil pump then? Is this the official reason why your engine failed?
They said they need to open a claim with BMW NA before they can continue to look further because the engine is locked up.

BMW has always been very good to me: new brakes + rotors, new driveshaft, new clutch.

I've paid $0 in the many, many times it has been in the shop over the past 13 months.

$30k-$70k for an engine? Doesn't seem likely.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
M4_Ronin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben7520 View Post
You are unsubscribing because it is stock?
No lol I originally asked what mods? Then i edited it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
They said they need to open a claim with BMW NA before they can continue to look further because the engine is locked up.

BMW has always been very good to me: new brakes + rotors, new driveshaft, new clutch.

I've paid $0 in the many, many times it has been in the shop over the past 13 months.

Ah so you are still waiting for the official diagnosis then. Please keep the community informed as to what they say the reason was for the failure. It's good information.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Suxx man sorry to hear , sounds like a shitty day for sure!
so im to assume you didnt get a loaner ? just cause you have an m6 doesnt mean you dont wanna 528xi to beat the snot outve and put all the miles on imho..

think the reason ruben was say he just reread you were stock is that lately there has been alottta warr cliams getting put threw and alotaa go F yourself responses from bmw ie: The Flag , where if they see any outve stock for even rims and tires theyve been Flagging cars and voiding warr.. that those aftermarket parts could or would afffect today and for here on out !

In answer to your how long Q , because of all this Flag horseshit the case that you so speak of is what happens when any major issues come in for warr work on any car ESP these days an M car ! a regional rep will come read data and visually inspect all sorts of shit trying to find a reason to flag your shit and stick it to you..if your stock then your in the clear but if there is any reason believe me they will use it and just like that bam bam your out've pocket! prolly 2 weeks to get thru that process and approved for a new eng then another 7-10 'ish i would say for the arrival and install so essentially 3-4 weeks ! id say.. i also wanna say that a new motor through the dealer is 25.5k if i remember correctly from another member

What dealer did you bring it toooo ? i pray not coc creek Vistaa ?

ona side note i own a car wash in pomanoo hit me up , we chill, hang, eat, drive there is a huge bunha assholes that i roll w lol

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Hey, terrible dude. But sounds like you're going to pull through.

Question. So when all this happened, you wrote you lost power steering and brakes. What exactly happened? Loss of power is ok, can be dealt with by slowly coming to a stop on the side of road or exit. But did you actually lose the ability to steer? so you were just able to drive straight? And no brakes? how does that work? completely couldn't stop? is that possible? very scary stuff...please do explain what happened, and how u eventually did stop.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #16
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post
so im to assume you didnt get a loaner ? just cause you have an m6 doesnt mean you dont wanna 528xi to beat the snot outve and put all the miles on imho..

think the reason ruben was say he just reread you were stock is that lately there has been alottta warr cliams getting put threw and alotaa go F yourself responses from bmw ie: The Flag , where if they see any outve stock for even rims and tires theyve been Flagging cars and voiding warr.. that those aftermarket parts could or would afffect today and for here on out !

In answer to your how long Q , because of all this Flag horseshit the case that you so speak of is what happens when any major issues come in for warr work on any car ESP these days an M car ! a regional rep will come read data and visually inspect all sorts of shit trying to find a reason to flag your shit and stick it to you..if your stock then your in the clear but if there is any reason believe me they will use it and just like that bam bam your out've pocket! prolly 2 weeks to get thru that process and approved for a new eng then another 7-10 'ish i would say for the arrival and install so essentially 3-4 weeks ! id say.. i also wanna say that a new motor through the dealer is 25.5k if i remember correctly from another member

ona side note i own a car wash in pomanoo hit me up , we chill, hang, eat, drive there is a huge bunha assholes that i roll w lol

Neil

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #17
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

What was the build differences in oil pump, driveshaft, etc in 2014 and when did they happen? Also, I saw on tirerack they asked if the build date for a 2014 was before or after march 2014. What changes happened then. I'm shopping for a 2014 and appreciate the input. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #18
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

If engine stops you lose vacuum for brakes and power steering dies as well.

BMW should fix it if the car wasn't modified
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Dave,

Check out this:

http://www.***********.com/images/im...13482523-1.jpg

http://www.***********.com/showthrea...aulty-oil-pump

I may or may not have been "attempting" to pass a Focus ST...
Links are showing up as asterisks.

Did they tell you what leak they repaired?

-Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post

Neil
I brought it to Coconut Creek Vista. They've always been very good to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #21
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Ah so you are still waiting for the official diagnosis then. Please keep the community informed as to what they say the reason was for the failure. It's good information.
Have no other occurrences of locked up M5 engines been reported?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #22
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Hey, terrible dude. But sounds like you're going to pull through.

Question. So when all this happened, you wrote you lost power steering and brakes. What exactly happened? Loss of power is ok, can be dealt with by slowly coming to a stop on the side of road or exit. But did you actually lose the ability to steer? so you were just able to drive straight? And no brakes? how does that work? completely couldn't stop? is that possible? very scary stuff...please do explain what happened, and how u eventually did stop.

thanks!
I was in 6th going 90mph and I went to shift into 3rd in efficient mode (so auto rev match blip was still on)

The gear didn't fully catch and kind of grinded. Next thing I know, CEL, and I saw my RPMs drop. I floored it to see if I could get any kind of acceleration going, and instead my engine was 100% dead and I was in the right lane. Luckily, I was pulling up to an exit where people merge, so I was able to put my flashers on and veer right. Could have been a whole lot worse. Imagine going 90mph in the left lane, have to get over 2-3 lanes, while losing speed.

I hope BMW comes back and says "hey... sorry our $110k car that has a history record of like 20 entries for all sorts of things like failed fuel pumps, failed ignition coils, failed driveshafts, blown speakers, broken air conditioner died on you when you were trying to go on vacation."
Appreciate 0