Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWonder View Post
Update: This worked for me. I guess I was scared to give it some more gas as I didn't want to do a reverse drag launch out of my garage. When I was giving it little gas before, it kept coming out of gear on its own. It was like a gunshot when it unhooked.

Thank you all!
LOL! Been there, done that. I was afraid that I had broken something when mine came loose. Scared the hell out of me.

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 10:27 PM   #24
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Yep, just requires some brute force to free them up.. 1700rpm worth.
The reason the car was going into neutral was because you had the drivers door open while trying to move the car. It goes into N after a few seconds under that scenario.

Just thinking about it...
I don't remember my E60 M5 brakes ever locking up due to rust after a detail. Maybe it's the parking brake and not the actual pads/rotors. That's the major difference between E and F generation brake setup (manual parking brake vs electronic).
      08-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #25
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Non issue with CCBs or i have been lucky. I wash her and stick her In the garage right after.

Hope you get her rolling again soon!
      09-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
@CallMeWonder and others:

When you wash your M5 then move it a few feet and park it for a while, the rotors rust and form a bond to the pads.

- Start the car
- Release the parking brake
- Engage the reverse gear
- Let your foot off the brake completely, the car probably will not budge.
- Apply the throttle and slowly increase the engine revs. The caliper/pad rust bond should break free at around 1,200-1,700rpm. You'll hear a loud noise while and when the brakes become free.

Be advised that you will have limited braking ability/power until the rust is removed and the rotors/pads are clean again. So be careful and brake early / keep a good distance from other cars until everything is back to normal. It takes around 5-6 miles. Avoid hard braking during this time.

To avoid this issue from happening in the future:
After you wash and dry your car and wheels, you'll notice the rotors have a coat of rust. Drive the car around the block before you park your car. After that you will notice the rotors are clean of rust and there is now rusty water marks on your wheels.

Carbon Ceramic Brakes don't rust when you wash the car. CCB owners have nothing to worry about.
thanks for this info avlnch.