Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

08-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
@dhirm5 I can tell you for sure neither a 535i nor a 550i could cope with my driving patterns on public roads.

But I agree that the CP difference would be noticeable on a track but not on the street.

That said I would like a more street relevant performance package.

The S-AMG package on the CLS63 for instance adds 25hp plus rear-biased AWD also for at a price around $7000 over the standard CLS63. That to me is a much more compelling option package.

In fact if MB brings the new S class Nav to the 2015 LCI CLS63 I will buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
dhirm5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
@dhirm5 I can tell you for sure neither a 535i nor a 550i could cope with my driving patterns on public roads.

Quote:
In fact if MB brings the new S class Nav to the 2015 LCI CLS63 I will buy one.
Hopefully they don't also bring in the hideous new dashboard. The new S replaced the gauges with another huge TFT. Looks ridiculous if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
bobafettt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

In june I drove a 2013 m5.
The comfort steering setting felt numb, dull, and overpowered. Sport and sport plus steering felt progressively heavy and unconnected.
The 2014 CP M5 I have has addressed those issues, with one caveat. The comfort setting is still a bit overpowered for my taste (just too easy to move the wheel). But then again, if my wife ever drives the car, she would probably prefer it. The sport and sport plus modes are very responsive and I can now "feel" the road. The sport plus setting may be just a tad to much of a workout for everyday driving (esp in parking lots). The sport mode right now is my setting of choice. I will need to drive a 2013 again, once more miles are on my car, to verify this difference as I have only driven a 2013 M5 once.
The suspension and torsional rigidity of the car with the upgrades are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post

Hopefully they don't also bring in the hideous new dashboard. The new S replaced the gauges with another huge TFT. Looks ridiculous if you ask me.
Seconded, they have cheap looking interiors too, looks plastic to me.
      08-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 S3

Quote:
I have never seen that degree of fade and shutter on an 8 lap run with steel brakes.
Do you mean shudder/shuddering?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #28
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFerrari View Post
Do you mean shudder/shuddering?
yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #29
FLOMACKS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Any (substantial) difference in the suspension feel, tightness, connection to the road?
Interesting topic attended M school today, and the instructors were talking about the CP. First thing said 15 HP's will not get noticed, and not much by them along with the current has more than enough power when you can use it. These guys drive the s--t out of these cars daily. Did a hot lap with a deal driver, and guess what I don't need nor use all the power I have now. Learned a big lesson today don't be a power fool because you can't use all of it, and it's a cash register for the car manufacture. I drove the crap out of those cars today, and I appreciate my beast a little more.
Did the M school change the way you think about the M compared to the Porsche? I signed up thinking that it may help keep me away from you know where.....
2015 S63AMG Sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Do you own a F10 M5; or did you drive a 2013 preMarch build back to back with the 2014?
I notice he hasn't answered this... My guess is no.. He's trading in an S7 at a loss and trying to chase down what future tradein on an M5 might be... Doubt he went WOT on a new model; what dealer would allow this? I dismiss his "review" of the CP.
      08-31-2013, 01:03 AM   #31
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP & '14 X5 50i

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2011 Ford F250 4x4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Learned a big lesson today don't be a power fool because you can't use all of it, and it's a cash register for the car manufacture.
Hello Bimmer6... I'm sure I'm a great deal older than you and certainly don't have any "M" experience so please take these comments with a grain of salt.

I owned most every 60's muscle car in its day (427/425 vet, 67 Tri-Power Goat, Hemi-cuda, etc.) and many MB's E6's and E8's and none of them compare to the 2010 5 (sans M) I owned.

My '14 M5 with the CP hit the dock today and as soon as I return from HI I will pick it up.

I'd no more purchase a '14 M5 without the CP than jump off a cliff. The CP is why people climb mountains: because they’re there.

I cannot believe that BMW would charge 7.5k for "nothing". It would be a very stupid marketing tactic to say the least!

A couple of thoughts (worth exactly what you paid for them):

The "dealer drive" M5 with CP meant that the M5 CP was not broken in.

Listing to "race drivers" is like listening to Women talking about the best sewing machine. "Race drivers" can and will change their mind in a flash! "M" school or not.

If 6.??% of the purchase price makes the call as to your ability to purchase an M5 or not; then by all means leave it off. As your race drivers say, "You’ll never notice the difference". And they may well be correct. However I would know I left it off and it would bother me in some insane way.

NO ONE *needs* an M5! We purchase M5's because we appreciate them and because we can.

I will enjoy the hell out of mine and drive it about 80,000 miles in 2.5 years. I will know it has the CP and if no one else does that's just fine with me. It will make it just that much easier to blow their collective doors off

"Power Fool", good hell Bimmer6 were all power fools or we'd be driving Hondas!

Regards,
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5 View Post
Hello Bimmer6... I'm sure I'm a great deal older than you and certainly don't have any "M" experience so please take these comments with a grain of salt.

I owned most every 60's muscle car in its day (427/425 vet, 67 Tri-Power Goat, Hemi-cuda, etc.) and many MB's E6's and E8's and none of them compare to the 2010 5 (sans M) I owned.

My '14 M5 with the CP hit the dock today and as soon as I return from HI I will pick it up.

I'd no more purchase a '14 M5 without the CP than jump off a cliff. The CP is why people climb mountains: because they’re there.

I cannot believe that BMW would charge 7.5k for "nothing". It would be a very stupid marketing tactic to say the least!

Listing to "race drivers" is like listening to Women talking about the best sewing machine. "Race drivers" can and will change their mind in a flash! "M" school or not.

If 6.??% of the purchase price makes the call as to your ability to purchase an M5 or not; then by all means leave it off. As your race drivers say, "You’ll never notice the difference". And they may well be correct. However I would know I left it off and it would bother me in some insane way.

NO ONE *needs* an M5! We purchase M5's because we appreciate them and because we can.

I will enjoy the hell out of mine and drive it about 80,000 miles in 2.5 years. I will know it has the CP and if no one else does that's just fine with me. It will make it just that much easier to blow their collective doors off

Regards,
Well my M5 (Stock) is ready tomorrow at 8AM and I will be at the door of the showroom to collect.
The demo has CP and I drove it yesterday and it was NO more powerful to me than STD M5, having 15 BHP extra @ 6K RPM is frankly useless here.
The steering has been upgraded across the M5 not just CP models, again (i am no race driver) but improvement yes over the 2012, but the late 2013 I tested it against was very close IMO.
I will be very happy to save £7K+ thank you BMW.
      08-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #33
TC M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991TTS,458italia, '14RR Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahm5
Quote:
Learned a big lesson today don't be a power fool because you can't use all of it, and it's a cash register for the car manufacture.

I'd no more purchase a '14 M5 without the CP than jump off a cliff. The CP is why people climb mountains: because theyre there.

If 6.??% of the purchase price makes the call as to your ability to purchase an M5 or not; then by all means leave it off. As your race drivers say, "Youll never notice the difference". And they may well be correct. However I would know I left it off and it would bother me in some insane way.

Regards,
Awesome comment !

'Power fool ' ? Humm ?

Can't wait for my next M5 comp to arrive
      08-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #34
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5179 View Post
The competition pack wheels are 5.5lbs heavier than the 343 20's and they are cast not forged. Something to think about when and if someone orders the competition package.
Good point

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #35
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:

Regards,
No offense taken trust me, and it's your purchase so feel good about. Sorry yes I would listen to a guy who works for BMW, and drives M cars for a living. By the was I do own a M5, and price was not an issue for me it's a weekend car. The 991s is the other weekend car as you can see I enjoy speed just like the next guy. Just watch the increase in 2015 my friend in power and you will see my point. Just because BMW sells it does mean it's good because it's about moving as many widgets as possible.

However, I understand BMW's PR machine to make money which I agree with 100%. They added 15 HP's only to match Audi, and clearly they could have tuned it to 50?? But no that will be the 2015 model watch, and now I hope you get my drift. This is my 7th BMW so I have have seen this over and over for years, and I still have two parked in the garage next to the 991S. Enjoy your 14 which will be great to say the least. By the way I'm 44(:
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
No offense taken trust me, and it's your purchase so feel good about. Sorry yes I would listen to a guy who works for BMW, and drives M cars for a living. By the was I do own a M5, and price was not an issue for me it's a weekend car. The 991s is the other weekend car as you can see I enjoy speed just like the next guy. Just watch the increase in 2015 my friend in power and you will see my point. Just because BMW sells it does mean it's good because it's about moving as many widgets as possible.

However, I understand BMW's PR machine to make money which I agree with 100%. They added 15 HP's only to match Audi, and clearly they could have tuned it to 50?? But no that will be the 2015 model watch, and now I hope you get my drift. This is my 7th BMW so I have have seen this over and over for years, and I still have two parked in the garage next to the 991S. Enjoy your 14 which will be great to say the least. By the way I'm 44(:
I do agree with you on the +15 HP and Audi; that said I'd be willing to bet the '14 with CP will do a lap (same track/driver) .05 of a second faster that a non CP '14.

I'm in Kona celebrating my 70th! Dang the brain is still 20 and the body says, "who the hell are you talking to".

This is only my third BMW so I've a ways to go to catch up to you. On that note I just ordered my Wife a '14 X5 50i.

Have a good holiday!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #37
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
I do agree with you on the +15 HP and Audi; that said I'd be willing to bet the '14 with CP will do a lap (same track/driver) .05 of a second faster that a non CP '14.

I'm in Kona celebrating my 70th! Dang the brain is still 20 and the body says, "who the hell are you talking to".

This is only my third BMW so I've a ways to go to catch up to you. On that note I just ordered my Wife a '14 X5 50i.

Have a good holiday!
Enjoy the island, and congrats on the M!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mperial View Post
I was considering making the move to a CP - thanks for the review. May I ask, was this test drive at a dealership? I inquired just today about a test drive at my dealership and was denied.
Change dealers ASAP! I just walked into BMW of Las Vegas and drove one no questions asked.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #39
utahm5
Commander
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Enjoy the island, and congrats on the M!
Thank you and thank you we are. Coming from the desert it's a nice change.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #40
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
However the CCB benefit is more tangible than the CP benefit.
If you haven't already done so, you might want to review the studied and highly informed comments of 'Palmnuts' regarding the discernible improvements contained in the Competition Package:

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884890
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #41
VintageFerrari
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But I agree that the CP difference would be noticeable on a track but not on the street.

That said I would like a more street relevant performance package.
Consider this:

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884890
Appreciate 0