Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP

Possible lemon M5?

I need some advice. . . This is the 2nd time I’m posting about my frustrating drivetrain malfunctions. I’ve had my M5 for only 2 months (1700 miles) and it’s been to the dealership 4 times already for drivetrain malfunction errors. I know the drivetrain malfunction error can be caused by a number of different issues, but mine appear to be related to the transmission. The car really struggles to find a gear when the error comes on and there will be moments where there’s no acceleration even though my foot is on the gas pedal. The car’s been at the dealership since last week and on Friday they said the part they thought would fix the issue didn’t work. I was told the service manager would be calling me on Monday to discuss getting a replacement M5 since they can’t fix the issue.

Have you guys experienced anything like this where your car may need to get replaced?

I assume the dealership would have to order the car since they don’t have a similarly spec’d one on their lot. Ordering the car would mean I won’t have a car for the next 2 months, but I will still have my lease payment. How far would a dealership go to swap with another dealership if they had a similarly spec’d car? Should I also pursue Lemon Law relief?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
From what I have read, lemoning a car is a big pain in the ass. They will try and hit you for usage fees (for the few miles that you did drive it) and other things.

If your dealership is being open and honest about trying to fix the issue or have an alternative then I would keep working with them. I'd be worried that once you mention lemoning the car that they stop trying so hard because lawyers are going to get involved.

Hope they can find out what the problem is.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Other members have posted about receiving a dt mal and they needed to have the M5's DCT solenoids replaced.

Has the dealer mentioned what they believed the problem was? What part they ordered? Why the part would not fix the issue?
      05-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
From what I have read, lemoning a car is a big pain in the ass. They will try and hit you for usage fees (for the few miles that you did drive it) and other things.

If your dealership is being open and honest about trying to fix the issue or have an alternative then I would keep working with them. I'd be worried that once you mention lemoning the car that they stop trying so hard because lawyers are going to get involved.

Hope they can find out what the problem is.
This is good advice. I will hold off on pursuing the lemon claim if the dealership is trying to help out.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Other members have posted about receiving a dt mal and they needed to have the M5's DCT solenoids replaced.

Has the dealer mentioned what they believed the problem was? What part they ordered? Why the part would not fix the issue?
I can't recall the name of the part, but the service rep mentioned it was some electronic component for the transmission. I'll try to find out more.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #6
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

The dealership seems to be doing the decent thing; would wait to see how things go before involving the lawyers.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
I had a 7 series replaced under the Lemon law, no usage fees, bmw stood behind their product. Painless process and i got a new 7, no lawyers involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NlckyBlack View Post
I had a 7 series replaced under the Lemon law, no usage fees, bmw stood behind their product. Painless process and i got a new 7, no lawyers involved.
Was your 7 leased?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajG View Post
Was your 7 leased?
Purchased
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was at the dealership this morning discussing my options. Option A - they replace my transmission and give me financial compensation towards my lease payments. Option B - they order me a new M5 and swap me out of my car, but no financial compensation. . . I went with option A because they are compensating me for my car troubles, replacing the transmission, and I don't have to wait 2 months for a new car. They also said if there are any future problems with the car that I can still have the car replaced. If I purchased the vehicle then I would have taken option B for sure, but since it's a lease option A seemed to make more sense. Hopefully the new tranmission puts an end to this saga.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i'd get the car replaced even without same spec,
      05-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
i'd get the car replaced even without same spec,
You don't think the problem would go away after they replace the transmission? The dealership gave me the option to replace the car if any problems arise again so that gives me some comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

replace the car and get a new one would be my preferred route
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #14
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajG View Post
You don't think the problem would go away after they replace the transmission? The dealership gave me the option to replace the car if any problems arise again so that gives me some comfort.
I also had this kind of issue with my old BMW (e92 3 series) and it took them 3 months trying after finally replacing the transmission.

i currently had a problem when my car is inclining, but due to reasons i still try to figure things out with it, also the transmission is a bit scary.
but again it came back to the capability of the technicians and dealers, me here not having the best support and facility making me think twice to be wanting my transmission or diff replaced here, i'd rather go and sell the car first and get something else to get over with it.
      05-16-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Look, your dealership really seems to be trying their best to work with you to address this. I have to imagine that the transmission replacement is an easier solution for them. As long as (i) they can promise a reasonable outside time frame for how long the repair will take, (ii) they are providing you with an acceptable loaner (may be fun to have a 7 for a few weeks) and (iii) they are willing to put their promise to replace the car if the repair is not 100%, I would probably take the monetary incentive on the lease and let them do the transmission replacement.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 02:20 AM   #16
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

I would of gone with the new car. But what specs you have that you are not willing to not have with a new one that is not spec the way you like it. Also the compensation must be pretty good then to go with a new transmission instead
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
RajG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've had the car for 2 months so they are crediting me for 2 months worth of lease payments. I thought it was a fair offer. Should have the car back tomorrow. Hope she runs smooth going forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajG
I've had the car for 2 months so they are crediting me for 2 months worth of lease payments. I thought it was a fair offer. Should have the car back tomorrow. Hope she runs smooth going forward.
I agree. I think you took right option given it's a lease. Doesn't preclude the alternative option if issue isn't resolved. However if this fixes the issue then you are better off.
Appreciate 0