M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #23
Svenm5
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Seems like more and more people are having the same problems with jb4 and still no solution. Having the same problems , all connections checked over and over but still not working properly
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #24
Edmguy11
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

Link to my N54 Tuning Thread:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...743#post481743

Ready to pull my hair out dealing with this crap. This is the problem with the city I live in, I just want to pay a performance shop to deal with this issue. Not have to troubleshoot myself.....

If anyone knows a better installer in the Edmonton area I would appreciate the feedback.

At this point I think I have some pre-existing condition causing these boost issues. The shop that I have been dealing with has checked all connections twice and is at a loss to what can be causing this issue.

When I go from Stock to Map 1 to Map 2, the car definitely gets quicker but barely ....

Might be time to cut my losses and just ship my DME to the U.S for a tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #25
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenm5 View Post
Seems like more and more people are having the same problems with jb4 and still no solution. Having the same problems , all connections checked over and over but still not working properly
I've got lots of JB4 M5/M6 customers running awesome doing nothing but burning up tires. There are a few common things that go wrong during installs and most of them have to do with the BCM install.

What I've found is the ones that work with BMS to resolve the install issues get them resolved but those who are all over the place posting on every forum, using an installer, and jumping on every piece of conflicting advice they get, normally waste a lot of time and aggravation going in circles. If you need help step1 is to get an account on n54tech / email BMS tech support.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #26
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I've got lots of JB4 M5/M6 customers running awesome doing nothing but burning up tires. There are a few common things that go wrong during installs and most of them have to do with the BCM install.

What I've found is the ones that work with BMS to resolve the install issues get them resolved but those who are all over the place posting on every forum, using an installer, and jumping on every piece of conflicting advice they get, normally waste a lot of time and aggravation going in circles. If you need help step1 is to get an account on n54tech / email BMS tech support.

Mike
Mike, I take offense to this post. I originally made my post here looking for support and afterwards was directed to N54tech to dialogue with Terry directly. Whom has been very helpful, as I work through these issues.

Regarding using an installer. I hate to break it to you, you must realize the BMW M5 is a $100k+ car. I am a Telecom executive, not a mechanic. This is why I pay to get most of these things done for me by professionals.

Just a bit of advice, I didn't become an Executive by insulting my customers. I certainly wont purchase a thing from your store again.

Last edited by Edmguy11; 07-05-2016 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #27
ARC550
Major
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, 720s, X5, 750xi

You need ecu backend flash.

What is your boost before 4K and after 4K on map 1 and 2?
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #28
Svenm5
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Hi Mike,

You get me wrong there, the first and only thing I did was sending logs to terry with no solution this far. I was thinking I had this strange problem as a one of but now in a few days at least 3 people are having the same problem on this board alone.
I hope you can locate the problem easier now so we can all go burn some rubber.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 06:30 AM   #29
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11
Quote:

Mike
Mike, I take offense to this post. I originally made my post here looking for support and afterwards was directed to N54tech to dialogue with Terry directly. Whom has been very helpful, as I work through these issues.

Regarding using an installer. I hate to break it to you, you must realize the BMW M5 is a $100k+ car. I am a Telecom executive, not a mechanic. This is why I pay to get most of these things done for me by professionals.

Just a bit of advice, I didn't become an Executive by insulting my customers. I certainly wont purchase a thing from your store again.
My advice get rid of the piggies and have an Ecu Flash.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #30
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Thanks man, I will get a hold of precision next week to try and get a quote.

Insult to injury I have had the Jb4 in Map 0 until I can remove the BCM as per Terry's advice. I am driving on the highway today and the car feels faster than it did in Map 1 or Map 2, and I am doing a pull in 2nd gear full throttle and the car goes into drivetrain malfunction.. .

*sigh*
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #31
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10M5Manual View Post
Thanks man, I will get a hold of precision next week to try and get a quote.

Insult to injury I have had the Jb4 in Map 0 until I can remove the BCM as per Terry's advice. I am driving on the highway today and the car feels faster than it did in Map 1 or Map 2, and I am doing a pull in 2nd gear full throttle and the car goes into drivetrain malfunction.. .

*sigh*
Yup! I feel you there!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #32
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmguy11 View Post

I'm sorry you took offense to my post, I am simply trying to point you in the right direction and save your valuable time. As you said you are not a mechanic or more specifically not a tuner. No one in this thread myself included is. Which is why you are not finding any useful assistance here. I checked your link to n54tech and I see the tuning professionals spotted your problem immediately. One turbo is making a lot more boost than the other turbo and they suspect a leak or some physical cause for that. It sounds like you are on the right track for support now.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #33
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

I love my JB but had to work my way through hiccups in the begging like with any other mods. This tool is in no way for beginner or non technical customers. You have to have some basic knowledge and ability to troubleshoot the system. Sometimes when you reach out for help and you are given an answer that to the tuner is "simple" it doesnt help .
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #34
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

So the saga continues.... Got the installer to essentially revert the install back to BMS stage 1.

I now have no more drive train malfunctions, more boost in the lower revs, and the car is running better than it has since the original JB4+BCM install.

However the car is still not near as fast as I thought it should be. I am definitely getting a full flash next season, until than I suppose I will try to get the most out of this BMS Stage 1.

Any advice on how to do that? I keep reading that there is a boost option to set it to 3.5 for max boost, I can't seam to find that anywhere on the bluetooth app.

I attached my logs of running it twice at Map 1 and Map 3, please provide your feedback as it still doesn't feel as fast as it should be.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Latest Log.zip (9.3 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Edmguy11; 07-15-2016 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #35
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Add water/met injection.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #36
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Add water/met injection.
Thanks, not sure if I will go that route. May just get a good benchflash sometime in the next year. It's a bit pricey since I am Canada, probably cost me like $5k all in.

On an unrelated note, I am not sure if it's because I seam to still have a minor boost leak on bank 1 but my fuel economy is terrible.

I used to get like 15 mpg on average, ever since I reverted from JB4+BCM to just the JB4 on Map 1 the car is certainly faster but the fuel economy took a huge hit.

I am at 10.1 mpg on average now .... lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 04:18 PM   #37
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Whoa, that's low. I get 21mpg, but I'm light on the throttle
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #38
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
Whoa, that's low. I get 21mpg, but I'm light on the throttle
Yea I have been flooring it A LOT logging a few runs trying to figure out whats wrong with the current setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #39
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So the saga continues.... Got the installer to essentially revert the install back to BMS stage 1.

I now have no more drive train malfunctions, more boost in the lower revs, and the car is running better than it has since the original JB4+BCM install.

However the car is still not near as fast as I thought it should be. I am definitely getting a full flash next season, until than I suppose I will try to get the most out of this BMS Stage 1.

Any advice on how to do that? I keep reading that there is a boost option to set it to 3.5 for max boost, I can't seam to find that anywhere on the bluetooth app.

I attached my logs of running it twice at Map 1 and Map 3, please provide your feedback as it still doesn't feel as fast as it should be.
On your Stage1 logs you've got some problems on the settings. You have set it for an N63 rather than an S63. Since it's an older Stage1 board you have to adjust those settings manually. You set FutureUseD = 1, boost_safety to 4.0, and select map1, to match the equivalent currently shipping Stage1 system.

Did you see the photo BMS posted in your support thread of another BCM customer who had the same problem you had and what was doing wrong during the install to cause it?

Mike

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 07-16-2016 at 07:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #40
Edmguy11
Private
Rep

Quote:
On your Stage1 logs you've got some problems on the settings. You have set it for an N63 rather than an S63. Since it's an older Stage1 board you have to adjust those settings manually. You set FutureUseD = 1, boost_safety to 4.0, and select map1, to match the equivalent currently shipping Stage1 system.

Did you see the photo BMS posted in your support thread of another BCM customer who had the same problem you had and what was doing wrong during the install to cause it?

Mike
Yes I saw the reply from Terry and have adjusted the settings accordingly thank you.

I am not sure why the installer reverted it back to Stage 1, but I will be working with another installer to try and tackle the BCM portion later this season.

I do not have the competition package and from what I have read would not be able to run map 2 reliably anyways.

Any feedback on what settings I should use to get the most boost out of this Stage 1 for the time being?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #41
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks, not sure if I will go that route. May just get a good benchflash sometime in the next year. It's a bit pricey since I am Canada, probably cost me like $5k all in.

On an unrelated note, I am not sure if it's because I seam to still have a minor boost leak on bank 1 but my fuel economy is terrible.

I used to get like 15 mpg on average, ever since I reverted from JB4+BCM to just the JB4 on Map 1 the car is certainly faster but the fuel economy took a huge hit.

I am at 10.1 mpg on average now .... lol
If you need some help on a flash I loaded 3 on my car over the past 18 months. My stage I from BR produced way north of 610 whp on a stock car. I don't believe it should cost as much as you think and I'm sure I can make some introductions in the US to assist you.

Piggybacks run in a stack are worthwhile but if you want a no hassle system a tune is awesome IMO.