Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
mtch335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Service extensive test drive

Yesterday, I took my M5 in for "Fuel system malfunction" check. SA told me they have to keep car overnight for full system diagnostic. Today I called, SA inform me that they had car reprogramed and it's ready for pickup after 4pm. 5:30pm I got to the dealership. After I receive the paperwork, I was shocked. They wrote "TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR 44 MILES"! My SA and his manger told me, it's standard test cycle. The technician come out told me that he just had another M5 test drove 50 miles for some other issue. At end, they fueled half tank of gas as compensate. They told me the paperwork I signed to release my car for service, which already authorize them for long test drive of the vehicle. What really pisses me off is during the 2 days, I called the SA twice for status update, he never mentions about the long test drive or ask me for permission. Question for your guys, it’s normal for extensive test drive after car been reprogramed? I think 44 Miles test drive going to take the technician 2 hours to complete. It’s really necessary?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I had a recurring fuel system issue in my X5. They actually did about 100 miles to test the issue and repair. The shop foreman took it home with him one night.
I was told BEFOREHAND that thus would be happening.
I understand how you feel. But if it's an issue that really does require truly driving it as the owner would, to either diagnose or confirm resolution, then I get it.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Dealer did 12 miles on the 1200 mile service?(basically an oil change) After questioning it. I was reassured this is a std loop they do do warm diff fluid and to ensure levels are correct at operating temp....... Not 44 but a lot IMO. ( for what it went in for) oh on the M4
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #4
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Heard nothing but bad reviews at Crevier, try McKenna? I know the S.A there is a member on the m3 forums so he knows how to treat our cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
M5LA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Alpine White - sold

Crevier seems to have a lot of issues. I take mine to Mckenna and they seem to be more careful. Every time, I will tell them not to take it off premise and they will do exactly that.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Dealer did 12 miles on the 1200 mile service?(basically an oil change) After questioning it. I was reassured this is a std loop they do do warm diff fluid and to ensure levels are correct at operating temp....... Not 44 but a lot IMO. ( for what it went in for) oh on the M4
That's hooey. When I, very grudgingly-took mine in for my 1200 mile service, I brought them my Mobil 1 0W-40. I told them not to put 8.9, but to fill the last quart up to the line that I drew on the bottle with a sharpie; I would finish placing any requisite oil in it myself. I told them no test drives. They gave me their best tech, and had it done in ~45 minutes. I told them I was an anal-retentive,OCPD-quite disturbed person, but was very nice. My car came out with 1/10 mi more on the odometer. Mine won't see the dealer until the 10K service, but will have two oil and filter changes by me in the interim. It can be done...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #7
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Same thing here. Here there is only 1 BMW dealer and they are terrible for service (sadly I dont have another choice). When I picked up my car from service it had 32 miles done.. Unacceptable. I even sent a complain letter to the dealership owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan
Quote:
That's hooey. When I, very grudgingly-took mine in for my 1200 mile service, I brought them my Mobil 1 0W-40. I told them not to put 8.9, but to fill the last quart up to the line that I drew on the bottle with a sharpie; I would finish placing any requisite oil in it myself. I told them no test drives. They gave me their best tech, and had it done in ~45 minutes. I told them I was an anal-retentive,OCPD-quite disturbed person, but was very nice. My car came out with 1/10 mi more on the odometer. Mine won't see the dealer until the 10K service, but will have two oil and filter changes by me in the interim. It can be done...
Don't disagree but they were specifically referring to the diff fluid? Anyway have to take the 30Jahre for the 1200 mile next week and will be discussing mileage now in advance.....
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't disagree but they were specifically referring to the diff fluid? Anyway have to take the 30Jahre for the 1200 mile next week and will be discussing mileage now in advance.....
My M never left the service bay for both... Just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageMan
Quote:
My M never left the service bay for both... Just sayin...
Again don't don't disagree but apparently there have been issues with previous models where oil drained- refilled and customers do launch control after service and diff's going. (At least at this dealer) so they have a SOP to do this loop and re check. Since then never had a prob. Maybe I'm gullible but that is their story.......I'd not heard that before.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Charlie Kim at Mckenna. Modded cars are ok as well.
No test drives and no car wash on mine. Works every time.
      09-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
M5LA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Alpine White - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Charlie Kim at Mckenna. Modded cars are ok as well.
No test drives and no car wash on mine. Works every time.
The service reps are nice. Definitely, no wash. The last time they washed my car, they dented my front spoiler and had to leave it for a few days to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #13
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

crevier is run by idiots
i went there and the sales people told me they had no m5s
i had looked on line they had fourteen
and later called and the person was not sure why the sales person outright lied to me
i would never go there again
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Yeah that's pretty excessive if you ask me, now of course it all really depends on what was physically done, but typically if my technician needs to do an extensive road test, he asks me first and I then ask the client to get authorization...