BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #1
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep
Drives: 1988 535i

Chris Harris Drives M6 GC, E63 S, XFR

Thought you guys might like to see this...seems to just confirm everything we already know, but it's always nice to see it presented in such a nice way.

Probably would have been the same more or less for an M5. Seems as if it didn't have the CP, I can only imagine if it did, the M6 would have been even more of a favorite. Just love these things more and more every day.

Not a real ///M car my ass. I think Chris Harris knows a thing or two.

FYI, tried to embed the video, doesn't seem to be working for me. So sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Desmond Is My Constant
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3, 997, X5

I'm sorry but there has been a significant number of reviews (blogs, articles, videos, etc) where M5 did not come out at the top. It has way too many things going against it, the sheer size, weight, turbo charged engine, active sound, you name it. It has an extremely limited market, you have to really have a passion for this type of car (and for an M5 in fact) to love and it's the type of one sided love - no matter what everyone says, its the best car in the world for you, which is fine!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep

Honestly, from what I've seen, almost every review seems to criticize the weight and size without actually explaining why. An M5 is still lighter than an RS7, and lighter than an AWD E63 S.

I pointed this out in another thread...in the US, the M5 has been almost universally panned, for ridiculous reasons. Whereas in Europe, it seems to be extremely well-reviewed. They don't get caught up in the silly BS of basically hating anything that isn't a clone of the E39 M5. In fact, the M6 GC has been well-reviewed over here as well, despite being almost the same exact car, just slightly bigger and heavier. I really think that most of the poor reviews over here have come about due to bias. I'm just glad to see Chris Harris get some more seat time in a 4 door M car. I trust what he says.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

I thought it was a cool video and enjoyed it. I respect Chris's opinion. He's a real car guy and a great driver.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveraged Sellout View Post
Honestly, from what I've seen, almost every review seems to criticize the weight and size without actually explaining why. An M5 is still lighter than an RS7, and lighter than an AWD E63 S.

I pointed this out in another thread...in the US, the M5 has been almost universally panned, for ridiculous reasons. Whereas in Europe, it seems to be extremely well-reviewed. They don't get caught up in the silly BS of basically hating anything that isn't a clone of the E39 M5. In fact, the M6 GC has been well-reviewed over here as well, despite being almost the same exact car, just slightly bigger and heavier. I really think that most of the poor reviews over here have come about due to bias. I'm just glad to see Chris Harris get some more seat time in a 4 door M car. I trust what he says.
I must say I concur! I would honestly think he is the only guy that I listen too regards what a car is actually like
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
DIMBA
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Singapore Grey

Garage List
Chris Harris talks absolute sense when reviewing all cars, he sees them as an enthusiast like we all are? With some humour thrown in!
This is also a review from a guy who owns and drives as his regular car an Audi S6 Avant!
He positively drools over the McLaren P1 by the way, this is a whole new ball game!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

Looove it
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

"merc's taxi"
i always have a good laugh when i watch his reviews
he is very good at what he is doing and has good sense of humour
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveraged Sellout View Post

I pointed this out in another thread...in the US, the M5 has been almost universally panned, for ridiculous reasons.
It just depends on the reviews you read .

Personally like you and others I put a lot more stock into reviewers that are doing their reviews from behind the wheel on video. Carlos Lago, Chris Harris, hell even Brian Cooley - it may be tech-focused but at least he's driving the thing and giving frank and honest opinions - all of them have had great things to say about the F10 M5 and when they do criticize - it's all in the context of them setting such a high bar for the car, which in that context is completely appropriate.

Comparison reviews to old gen M5's are just hollow to me. They're all completely different cars. Where reviewers get themselves spun up in a tizzy is when they come in with the expectation that new gen = better, rather than new gen = different. Start with a clean sheet of paper and critique the car you have now - not the one you wax nostalgic on.

Here's Lago's 2014 Comp Package review. It's very complimentary and he compares it quite a bit to the non-comp M5, and talks up about how the comp pack improves the car and how it should be standard, which makes you think he wasn't as wild about the non-comp M5...

But then when you watch him test the non-comp M5, he's almost as effusive with his praise. He compares it to the older gen M5's but not to the extent where he lets it affect his opinion of the current car... "excellent... in a different way". It's pretty clear he loves the M5.

Much the same reason I value Harris' opinion so much. He takes every car at face value.

Last edited by TonySCV; 01-22-2014 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #10
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
It just depends on the reviews you read .

Personally like you and others I put a lot more stock into reviewers that are doing their reviews from behind the wheel on video. Carlos Lago, Chris Harris, hell even Brian Cooley - it may be tech-focused but at least he's driving the thing and giving frank and honest opinions - all of them have had great things to say about the F10 M5 and when they do criticize - it's all in the context of them setting such a high bar for the car, which in that context is completely appropriate.

Comparison reviews to old gen M5's are just hollow to me. They're all completely different cars. Where reviewers get themselves spun up in a tizzy is when they come in with the expectation that new gen = better, rather than new gen = different. Start with a clean sheet of paper and critique the car you have now - not the one you wax nostalgic on.

Here's Lago's 2014 Comp Package review. It's very complimentary and he compares it quite a bit to the non-comp M5, and talks up about how the comp pack improves the car and how it should be standard, which makes you think he wasn't as wild about the non-comp M5...

But then when you watch him test the non-comp M5, he's almost as effusive with his praise. He compares it to the older gen M5's but not to the extent where he lets it affect his opinion of the current car... "excellent... in a different way". It's pretty clear he loves the M5.

Much the same reason I value Harris' opinion so much. He takes every car at face value.
I would agree with that...I think that's a rare sentiment in the US auto press though. I feel like every reviewer is just dying to say they prefer the E39, they just don't want to say it because of course it is a silly thing to say. You can feel it. I mean if you were to listen to some of the initial print reviews, you'd have thought the F10 M5 was one of the most disappointing cars ever made...and the M6 even more so. It's pretty clear these things are some of the most impressive road-legal vehicles you can buy, possibly ever. What you said is exactly right...you need to do a clean sheet review. And that's how it should be done. I'm just glad some are able to do that. And if Tiff, Chris, and Jeremy like it, it can't be all bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I love Chris harris reviews. They always make me smile, and his opinion is really frank as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Def one of my favorite people to watch car reviews from. Can't wait to see his 2014 reviews.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #13
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

In the Best of DRIVE 2013 - Afterdrive video, they asked Chris what three cars he would have for Daily, Track and Weekend use. He said right now, it would be the M5 for Daily.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
In the Best of DRIVE 2013 - Afterdrive video, they asked Chris what three cars he would have for Daily, Track and Weekend use. He said right now, it would be the M5 for Daily.
Please post a link of that video.. I need to hear it...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
Please post a link of that video.. I need to hear it...
Check it out from around 04:10

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great vid

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

If you haven't read Chris Harris' report exposing Ferrari... it's worth your time...

http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Ferrari refused to let Harris drive their cars after that review - for almost 3 years. They got over it (just recently)...

"As-cool-as drifting a $300,000 supercar is it’s amazing that Ferrari let Chris Harris drive the car at all. A long-standing feud has existed between Chris Harris and Ferrari that resulted in Ferrari issuing a ban to Harris by refusing to allow Harris to drive any of its press cars, representing the biggest F-you that a manufacturer can send to an auto journalist. All of this tension that resides between Harris and Ferrari stems from a rant made back in 2011 where Harris reveled, among other things, that Ferrari “custom tunes” its vehicles for track testing and media purposes. Obviously this was more than enough for Ferrari to send Harris straight to the penalty box.

To illustrate just how serious this issue has became between Harris and Ferrari, in August of 2011 Ferrari refused to provide a Ferrari 559 GTB to Harris for review, so Harris sold his Porsche and bought one outright! The speeds of the Ferrari 559 are so quick that Harris fell in love with the car and decided to keep the vehicle as his personal car. Maybe it was Harris’s love for this 620-horsepower V12 supercar that brought Ferrari and Harris back together. Either way, it is great to see Harris and Ferrari back together again."

http://drive-a-ferrari.com/chris-har...12-berlinetta/

Last edited by TonySCV; 01-23-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 02:38 AM   #18
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep

^Crazy to think it's been that long already, I remember when that happened. Lost a bit of respect for Ferrari at that point. Really more so because they treated him that way, instead of finding a graceful way to own up. I am glad they let him drive the F12 though...that is easily one of the most beautiful things ever committed to video ever. F12 might potentially be the best all-around car in the world. I'm just glad he's now been in an M5, M6, and M6 GC...and seemed to love each one.
Appreciate 0