M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

06-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Bad, bad, fuel

Have any forum members had to deal with a bad batch of fuel in your tank? My neighbor Chevron gas, where I have fueled up for years, was sold to Shell a few months ago. In the transition month, I fueled up and started to get a random misfire while driving at 30 to 40 mph and would then step on the gas. A week later I took it in and had the SM and a tech take it for a ride. They experienced the same thing and them put it on their diagnostics. It came back with all kinds of misfire history. The SM then was advised by the tech to check the fuel quality. It came back as a very low grade contaminated fuel.

They advised me to fill up my tank on a frequent basis to minimize the contamination. They said that the stored codes would need to be erased but that it would take over a thousand miles of driving to slowly clear. It has been six months and over two thousand miles and the codes are still there. I can't get a DMW sticker because of the stored codes. Took it by the service dept again and they are now trying to blame the catted DP's. They installed them for me3 years ago and never had any problems. Any ideas????
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
I had a batch of bad fuel after a track day morning fill-up (at a shell station out of state) I had the option of disconnecting the fuel line and pumping the tank low (do not pump dry..) and then fill up with known good fuel. When pumping out the tank with the car standing still, you are likely to pick up any water quickly, which was the problem I had. (not to knock Shell, I worked for them for 20 years, There were a couple of privately run station a few year ago which di not always "sell what they say they were putting in your tank) The problem you are describing is likely not due only to bad fuel. Reset the codes and see if they return quickly. If they do, look elsewhere than the fuel.

Good luck
Appreciate 0