M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

05-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

How late is too late for ED this year?

First time poster here, I've been lurking for awhile (months) watching and reading all of the very useful information that has been shared here regarding the BMW M5. At the same time, I have been slowly building the courage to take the leap and commit to a ED on one.

Still a lot of things in the air on my side regarding business trips to Europe, a potential vacation to New Zealand/Australia, and the like that may impact my decision.

What I would like to know is how late of a date can you take an ED delivery in 2012? When does it become unreasonable due to weather?

For instance, if I propose a late October ED date, what areas should I avoid putting in my road trip plans due to bad road conditions? Can I even do an ED that late (restrictions on the BMW side, etc...)?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

I don't think there is such a late date for ED. What may be of consequence is where you want to take your car due to road conditions. Also note under German Law regarding snow tire/chain requirements which starts Oct. 15 (in Austria it is November 1). Also depending on where you are heading, some roads may be closed due to snow, although for the past 2 years, Europe has had late winters (lack of snow early in the season) although this past ski season was one of the best skiing/snowboarding I had in the Alps due to the abundance of snow.

I, myself am taking delivery of my car first week of October and will make it a point to be somewhere south before October 15. So depending on where you want to drive you should be able to do it late October but just note of the snow tire/chain requirement.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Thank you for the fast and informative response. The October 15th deadline and November 1 deadline are both very helpful. I'd prefer not to have to pay for winter tire (and/or wheel) rentals - so I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Is there a good website that lists all of these winter tire / critical dates for each of the European countries? I've found a lot of sites with generalities but not the dates.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Thank you for the fast and informative response. The October 15th deadline and November 1 deadline are both very helpful. I'd prefer not to have to pay for winter tire (and/or wheel) rentals - so I'll definitely take that into consideration.

Is there a good website that lists all of these winter tire / critical dates for each of the European countries? I've found a lot of sites with generalities but not the dates.
Here's the URL for good info regarding winter driving in Europe which I have found useful. Hope it helps answer some of your questions.
http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/winter_driving.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

there isn't a set date for snow tires in germany. its when the average temperature is freezing. also if the temperature is freezing and you have an accident on summer tires its automatically your fault. with germany, unpredictable is the norm. I have driven on the Nurburgring in middle of January and it was in the low 50's. the year before there was snow on the ground well through April. Every year i go out on the last weekend in November to the ring and for past 3 years its dry and sunny. it could very well snow in October however.

my best advice is if you aren't picking up before October 1st have a backup plan in case you have to drive through some snow on the way out of BMW Welt. You can rent snow tires. probably your best and safest route if picking up in October and its freezing. remember if you want to drive to a warmer climate there is this thing called the alps in the way unless you plan on going around them and down through france/spain.