M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #67
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Actually I have no idea. From what we can see, DME and ACM are same company but Precisión is completely different, but I can be wrong with this.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #68
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

a

Last edited by NightM; 10-06-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #69
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Which parameters are being exceeded to cause throttle closure? What are the limits for those parameters before throttle closure begins ? Tia
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #70
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There is no way to fry a DME by "improperly removing." The only way to damage these computers are by having 1) improper flash 2) physically damaging while opening it. One of the DME's we received had a leg broken on the voltage regulator and thus it would not power on. After re-soldering it, everything came back online, though it did have corrupt eeprom. Without proper eeprom backup, the computer runs perfectly fine, though can not be used on actual vehicle. The second computer had bootloader completely missing, though prog and data was present. After a proper reflash, the computer is back online. Can show you the serial number of both computers powered on the bench and perfectly functional after the brick recovery. If both computers were "dead on arrival" as you say, then home come they are alive and working right now on our bench?

As before, we are not here to bash on others but there will be a response if someone advertises other product on our threads. If you have something to say, start a thread about it. Do not go around on our threads saying that there is a "better" alternative without knowing all of the fact.

Im sure the owner of the car will have something to say about his experience after he gets his computers installed and we perform a full remote on the dyno tuning session.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #71
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetuning View Post
Mission you have no clue what your talking about. Im not here to bash but to teach you a few things that you are not aware of. If Mission was such a great tuner, why didnt the customer send you the DMEs for a tune in the first place?

Furthermore, you mentioned my name and you expect me to sit here and not defend my position? So dont start with that nonsense my thread your thread...

Go about your business and dont share mis-information. I will bet you that improper removal of the DMEs will damage them. Lets let a few other knowledgeable tuners step in and confirm this because obviously you are not one of them.
We are not first choice yet since we are new on the forums and not everyone knows what we offer. Customers went with GSR in the first place and after having issues came to us to have them all resolved.

If the computers have been damaged by the customer and came in dead to you, how come they are alive right now and working?

You couldn't read the password as the voltage resistor was knocked off. Without it in place, computer was not able to boot and go into a service mode to read the password. Once we re-attached it, the ecu had no issue powering on right away.

MEVDs are the most resilient computers we have seen to date. I personally have tried reversing polarity, overheating, supplying Vbat over flexray and can, rebooting in middle of flash, flashing 6 cylinder firmware on v8 dme (interesting results came from this) and even powering these computers under water. Nothing has killed one. Still have the original tortured dme as a backup for testing. The only way to cause some damage (still fixable) was over-writing the firmware without erasing first.

Last edited by MissionPerformance; 04-30-2016 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #72
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mission, if you saw how these DMEs were packed, it will explain why they were dead on arrival. The customer used airbags that had no air in them and the DMEs were loose in the box with no protection banging into each other which I mentioned to the customer when they arrived. Im glad you got them working because we do not repair DMEs. We only tune them. Its nice to see that you have the capability to repair them. We were not able to do even a password read which is why I couldn't tune them. We have never received damaged DMEs like this incident but glad you were able to fix them because I don't want to see anyone with these kind of problems...

Fair enough. At least customer has working computers now.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #73
Brn-m5
Rep
Drives: 2013 f10 M5

Quote:
Mission you have no clue what your talking about. Im not here to bash but to teach you a few things that you are not aware of. If Mission was such a great tuner, why didnt the customer send you the DMEs for a tune in the first place?

Furthermore, you mentioned my name and you expect me to sit here and not defend my position? So dont start with that nonsense my thread your thread...

Go about your business and dont share mis-information. I will bet you that improper removal of the DMEs will damage them. Lets let a few other knowledgeable tuners step in and confirm this because obviously you are not one of them.
I'm sorry but Alex knows what he's talking about as you called me and claimed that my ecu is fried and that there's nothing you could do about it, you didn't even tell me you already drilled through them, without holding you responsible I asked for my dme to be shipped to Alex at mission who recovered one of my dme's but the other had a corrupted eprom and he couldn't get the original factory flash to revive it. I spoke to tuners from uk and Germany and they all supported Alex's assessment of what happened.
When it comes to modifying we all understand things go wrong but it's the honor of standing behind your customers not against them is what counts. I'm generally very loyal to the tuning shops I deal with as I own cars from 600 upto 1800hp.
I don't need anything from your shop even if you had toasted both my dme's, I would've understood and still worked with you, but its claiming irrational excuses to avoid responsibility is what scares customers away. My car has been parked for weeks now over something which was supposed to be a fun mod.
Alex showed nothing but unconditional support and although he hadn't touched my dme he went out of his way spending hours trying to salvage somebody else's mistake for me, which he successfully did with one. His technical knowledge was very impressive and not only will I use him but I will recommend him to all exotic car owners around me.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #74
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
This is a string up. I have had ACM/ DME Tuning work on my DMEs twice and he infact cleaned them up reglued them and made them 100% again. If Mo says they were packed bad, they were. I trust him 100% and think he gives good service. He's done 100's of tunes.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #75
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

a

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #76
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brn-m5 View Post
I'm sorry but Alex knows what he's talking about as you called me and claimed that my ecu is fried and that there's nothing you could do about it, you didn't even tell me you already drilled through them, without holding you responsible I asked for my dme to be shipped to Alex at mission who recovered one of my dme's but the other had a corrupted eprom and he couldn't get the original factory flash to revive it. I spoke to tuners from uk and Germany and they all supported Alex's assessment of what happened.
When it comes to modifying we all understand things go wrong but it's the honor of standing behind your customers not against them is what counts. I'm generally very loyal to the tuning shops I deal with as I own cars from 600 upto 1800hp.
I don't need anything from your shop even if you had toasted both my dme's, I would've understood and still worked with you, but its claiming irrational excuses to avoid responsibility is what scares customers away. My car has been parked for weeks now over something which was supposed to be a fun mod.
Alex showed nothing but unconditional support and although he hadn't touched my dme he went out of his way spending hours trying to salvage somebody else's mistake for me, which he successfully did with one. His technical knowledge was very impressive and not only will I use him but I will recommend him to all exotic car owners around me.
Sorry but when is drilling ever acceptable? Shame on any tuner that takes such a shortcut.
Glad Alex was able to take care of you, this is not the first time he had to fix an issue that another tuner was not able to. He knows his shit

Last edited by ocN55; 04-30-2016 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #77
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Just out of curiosity why drill through a Bosch ecu?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:56 PM   #78
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocN55 View Post
Sorry but when is drilling ever acceptable? Shame on any tuner that takes such a shortcut.
Glad Alex was able to take care of you, this is not the first time he had to fix someone that another tuner was not able to. He knows his shit
Drilling 6 cylinder DME is not acceptable under any circumstances since removing the lid is relatively easy, as you saw when we did your computer. On other hand, 4 and 8 cylinder computers are not easy to open (though still do-able). Opening those computers will leave a mark on the lid since even capacitors are glued to the lid. Those are the only computers that drilling is actually a viable option. But before drilling or opening, the computers have to be tested on the bench since drilling can cause metal shavings to fall on the processor, if not done correctly, and thus damaging the computer.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #79
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

Quote:
These DMEs were already tuned by another tuner and already opened so its not a shortcut by any means. It makes it less obvious than opening when trying to keep factory seal.

To each is own but we do it one way while others choose to mangle the cover of the DME.
Breaking the seal with a blade and some heat should not mangle the DME cover if done with due diligence. That said, I understand your reasoning about making it less obvious. However, in my opinion, drilling unmistakably shows that the DME was tampered by someone. If you cut the seal and close the DME, then it could be denied that anything was done at all; that is if you don't deliberately show evidence of trying to fix an opened DME by trying to glue it back yourself.

Regardless, thanks for chiming in and sharing your case.

Edit: looks like the N63/S63 is trickier to open than the standard MEVD. So take my opinion above with a grain of salt.
      04-30-2016, 06:07 PM   #80
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Now , about the throttle closing parameters......
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #81
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Now , about the throttle closing parameters......
Sorry, might have missed that. What is your question exactly?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #82
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Which parameters are being exceeded to cause throttle closure? What are the limits for those parameters before throttle closure begins ? Tia
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #83
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Throttle closure is very pronounced with the use of JB4. Computer uses throttle to limit boost when actual boost exceeds target. When it comes to an actual re-flash, we control boost target and as long as target and actual boost is within "spec" there is no throttle closure. N63/S63 does not suffer from this as much as N55 does, as ocN55 can support
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #84
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Interesting. So S63 has a more liberal look up boost table. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #85
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

a

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #86
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

a

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:51 PM   #87
tony.m6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6, CTS-V, F10 M5, TURBO-S

I've been on the forum for the last 8 years and have been using DMETuning for a very long time. I have also sent a lot of clients there because I know they are reputable and running an honest business.

The tuning software is nothing short of the best out there and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to give their M some big and reliable gains.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #88
Brn-m5
Rep
Drives: 2013 f10 M5

Quote:
These DMEs were already tuned by another tuner and already opened so its not a shortcut by any means. It makes it less obvious than opening when trying to keep factory seal.

To each is own but we do it one way while others choose to mangle the cover of the DME.
You should stop with the excuses, the best tuners in the world make mistakes, it just makes the whole thing childish when you give an excuse for everything. I'm not asking you to fix anything, I'm just saying another shop managed to support me for something you should've done. And if you couldn't then Alex at mission has got the experience to. He also made my dme compatible for mobile tuning via obd2 just in case we need to adjust the tune, which is a great convenience,
Appreciate 2