M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

12-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla95
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
Yes - but it's a good thing. If you're not in the mood to hoon about, don't use MDM. It's very different than it was in the E60. In the E60, you had to turn the nannies off entirely to kick out the the tail -- in the F10, MDM lets you have quite a bit more fun.
I'm not sure I can agree that it's a good thing. I think many of us would like MDM to be a closed course mode which protects against a spin (and possibly wrecking your car). Regular mode does protect against spinning but it's way too intrusive for a closed course. MDM used to be a great middle ground, but I'm not so sure it is in this generation.
Agree. E60 MDM was much better. Current MDM is not much better than DSC Off.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

The transmission is the number 1 that kills it for me with the RS7. Exterior looks is number 2. I hate the stock wheel options on the RS7 as well as the fact you can't get a leather interior on the same level as the M5. The Bang and Olufsen system is way more expensive than on the M5, and the RS7 weighs more too. It does look really unique, but if they made an RS6 Sedan I'd like that better. Plus I never liked Audi's MMI System with the popup nav screen, not to mention that lame cylinder deactivation. Driving a 4 cylinder car half the time isn't my idea of fun. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
utmiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Having owned newer generation Audis, I don't understand what people are saying about quality, fit, finish. I think their top end models are great in this respect and their current direction is positive. I don't think the "RS" designation is going to be whored out to the rest of the models anytime soon either like the M badge has been for our cars. I think the E46 M3 and the E39 M5 were the last M's that were special in this respect. I love my F10 M5 and will probably keep it for a long time but in the end I'm a "car guy" and not a "bmw guy" or "M guy". I think the RS7 is an awesome car, the RS6 would be better if the US got it, P-cars are more fun to drive than all, I'd roll around in the new Merc S550 or better yet S63, and American Muscle (GT500, SS, SRT, etc) would set everyone's butt dyno on fire.

To each his own truly, but I'd pimp this RS6 wagon around anyday!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmiken View Post
Having owned newer generation Audis, I don't understand what people are saying about quality, fit, finish. I think their top end models are great in this respect and their current direction is positive. I don't think the "RS" designation is going to be whored out to the rest of the models anytime soon either like the M badge has been for our cars. I think the E46 M3 and the E39 M5 were the last M's that were special in this respect. I love my F10 M5 and will probably keep it for a long time but in the end I'm a "car guy" and not a "bmw guy" or "M guy". I think the RS7 is an awesome car, the RS6 would be better if the US got it, P-cars are more fun to drive than all, I'd roll around in the new Merc S550 or better yet S63, and American Muscle (GT500, SS, SRT, etc) would set everyone's butt dyno on fire.

^^
This guy gets it.
Some of the fan boys not so much.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Anyway you slice it, the RS7 is one bad ass car, and i like it. Ive been a bmw M customer for years, but you can't ignore the recent products from Audi's RS line especially the RS7
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhirm5 View Post
How did you like the way the RS7 drove as compared to the M5?
For pure driving, I'd say I'd rather have the M5. Apart from problems using the full power at low speeds, and the terrible sounding engine, I think I'd prefer the M5 in every other way.

I didn't like that the RS7 felt really big to drive but didn't have that much room
inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
However having a car which deliver a the kind of luxury and tech you expect at $100k+ is one of my criteria and the RS7 and E63 fail miserably at that.

What I find ridiculous about this debate is that by the same criteria people who want an RS7 instead of an M5 should also prefer Porsche 911 over the GT1000 or a Vette ZR1. But very few on this board would make that choice. They pretend the Audi is refined because it is German, but the RS7, finishes, materials and tech are no better than Ford or GM.

Rubs is at least consistent - I have no doubt he would take a ZR1 over a 911 C4S even a GTS.
You are responding to me but I've got no idea where you are coming from. I am specifically shopping high HP sedans. That means M5, E63, RS7, S8. I'm not looking at 911s or Corvettes. So that's off.

Second, I've driven each of these cars, two of them (M5 and E63) for a whole day (borrowed a friend's car).

Finally, I think you are wrong about Audi. The S8 was absolutely beautiful inside. The RS7 was also very nice. The E63 is different from the M5 but not significantly worse. COMMAND sucks but the interior finishes are just fine. I wouldn't be ashamed to be in any one of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #30
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
You are responding to me but I've got no idea where you are coming from. I am specifically shopping high HP sedans. That means M5, E63, RS7, S8. I'm not looking at 911s or Corvettes. So that's off.

Second, I've driven each of these cars, two of them (M5 and E63) for a whole day (borrowed a friend's car).

Finally, I think you are wrong about Audi. The S8 was absolutely beautiful inside. The RS7 was also very nice. The E63 is different from the M5 but not significantly worse. COMMAND sucks but the interior finishes are just fine. I wouldn't be ashamed to be in any one of these cars.
I don't disagree the s8 is nice inside. I don't think you've been inside an RS7. I have. I found it to be cheap and plasticky. Shares nothing with the S8 when it comes to interior design and finishes. And BTW I even was so interested in the RS7 I called Audi Exclusive (their equivalent of BMW Individual) and asked for a quote on a full leather interior with Exclusive Alabaster White leather. Audi told me that they could do the Alabaster White but won't do full leather and had no plans to do so. Thus the plastic dash, plastic center console and large swathes Of plastic trim on the doors are a mandatory feature of the RS7. They told me if I wanted full leather I would need to order an S8 instead.

As for the Mercedes, I agree with you, but to me the crappy Comand system is a big issue. I have used Comand extensively because I drive Mercedes C300 and E350 rental cars almost every week from Hertz when I am travelling. It pains me. In fact on my Hertz profile I wrote Prefer Infiniti or Cadillac over Mercedes - because I don't want to die while being distracted by the clunky Comand system.

I also don't like the AMG transmission. However both of my Mercedes issues will hopefully be resolved in the 2015 CLS63.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 12-07-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #31
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post

I don't disagree the s8 is nice inside. I don't think you've been inside an RS7. I have. I found it to be cheap and plasticky. Shares nothing with the S8 when it comes to interior design and finishes. And BTW I even was so interested in the RS7 I called Audi Exclusive (their equivalent of BMW Individual) and asked for a quote on a full leather interior with Exclusive Alabaster White leather. Audi told me that they could do the Alabaster White but won't do full leather and had no plans to do so. Thus the plastic dash, plastic center console and large swathes Of plastic trim on the doors are a mandatory feature of the RS7. They told me if I wanted full leather I would need to order an S8 instead.
And not to mention that full leather on an S8 is an $18,000 dollar option. It's on a whole 'nother level. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
And not to mention that full leather on an S8 is an $18,000 dollar option. It's on a whole 'nother level. Lol!
You mean Hole Nother Level, or on a HNL!

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
You mean Hole Nother Level, or on a HNL!

Yes that is what I meant good sir.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
utmiken
Private First Class
Rep

I asked Horacio to put more leather on the dash and doors and he told me to f*ck off in Spanish then in Italian. Whatev....my M5 is better anyway

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The clueless on this board will go this route:
If it's faster than the M5, then they'll say the M5 interior is better, then up next is the nav screen size, then tranny.

In no order. That's why I have stayed away for a few weeks now. Too much insecurity around here.
The answer for me is a whole lot easier. BMWs, esp M cars, drive a lot better than Audis. I have yet to drive an Audi that gives me that connected feel I get from bimmers. The only good Audi is an R8, and that's becos it has Lambo pedigree. RS cars are also not as thoroughly engineered compared to their M counterparts. Ask anyone who has driven an RS6 with V10 turbo? It's has insane amount of power, but nothing else. M would never release a product under their name that is so unbalanced. To me, RS cars are only equivalent to M cars by market segment and not technical level. RS division comes across to me as more of a tuner than a serious branch of a top auto maker. Look at how many RS versions of their cars they churned out? How many of them really received serious accolades and I am not talking about 0-60 times. I am shocked that people still talked about it? I thot only teenagers talk about 0-60. It's about as meaningless as talking about MPG for high performance cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #36
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The clueless on this board will go this route:
If it's faster than the M5, then they'll say the M5 interior is better, then up next is the nav screen size, then tranny.

In no order. That's why I have stayed away for a few weeks now. Too much insecurity around here.
The answer for me is a whole lot easier. BMWs, esp M cars, drive a lot better than Audis. I have yet to drive an Audi that gives me that connected feel I get from bimmers. The only good Audi is an R8, and that's becos it has Lambo pedigree. RS cars are also not as thoroughly engineered compared to their M counterparts. Ask anyone who has driven an RS6 with V10 turbo? It's has insane amount of power, but nothing else. M would never release a product under their name that is so unbalanced. To me, RS cars are only equivalent to M cars by market segment and not technical level. RS division comes across to me as more of a tuner than a serious branch of a top auto maker. Look at how many RS versions of their cars they churned out? How many of them really received serious accolades and I am not talking about 0-60 times. I am shocked that people still talked about it? I thot only teenagers talk about 0-60. It's about as meaningless as talking about MPG for high performance cars.
Also this.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #37
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
I agree with most of what you are saying. Audi is making some VERY competitive cars. They are also gaining market share. BMW is falling behind.

In regards to the fit and finish, I have not been in an Audi that wows me yet but I have never been in a RS.

Sucks that he won't let you get leather on the door. Maybe on your next build

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #38
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I personally like the audi s4/s5. I'm not so concerned about full leather. My 07 Yukon doesn't have one piece of leather. We all know the rs model performance differs from the M but for me I like all cars for different reasons. Plus the new convertable performance jaq is badazz and sounds the part thru its exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #39
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

How many here have a tangible opinion meaning they have driven one? A lot of supposition and conjecture. Ill drive one and then come back since I wont defend the beloved F10 or F13 by ownership alone.

Its a great car I have no doubt like the F10 and even the CLS63TT... they all have their pros and cons.

Urban Legend is hilarious.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #40
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

I've driven both s4/s5 v8 versions and loved them both. Haven't driven a rs version. But as I stated I like them.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #41
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
I've driven both s4/s5 v8 versions and loved them both. Haven't driven a rs version. But as I stated I like them.
Here is member of Audizine Jay Slays Nardo Grey RS7

CLICK HERE

There are not that many on the ground right now (rs7)... Most of them are stickered around 125k.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #42
utmiken
Private First Class
Rep

Lowered and sitting on new P101's already

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #43
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Here is member of Audizine Jay Slays Nardo Grey RS7

CLICK HERE

There are not that many on the ground right now (rs7)... Most of them are stickered around 125k.

The engine sounds good, though!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #44
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Looks good!

Quote: