M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

So I had to deal with some road rage on a whole new level today. Today I was driving down a single lane road that was very straight, very flat and with no much traffic on it. There were two cars in front of me a big truck and a small van that was in front that was doing 40mph in a 60mph zone. With nobody coming in the other direction for at least a couple of miles, I decide to pass both of them. There was a proper dashed passing line on the road and it was all clear.

I only passed the van in front going about 80mph but I was at full throttle, which is a probably above 113db. So a few miles later I come up to the intersection with heavy traffic and red light. I have to make a left turn so I get in the left turn lane. The guy in the small van I passed catches up to me and gets right behind me. He then starts making frantic arm gestures and is holding up his phone and I could immediately tell he's calling 911. The light turns green and I can't accelerate because now there is a lot of traffic all around me. So I continue on to my destination and then I notice the dude in the van starts weaving through traffic to follow me. He starts making every turn that I make. So I was like ok, let's play. Instead of using my 700hp to make a quick getaway, I decide to have some fun with him instead and I ditch my route to my destination and start to drive around aimlessly. I drove through a Pizza Hut parking lot, a self serve car wash, a mall parking garage, and then I head out of town to the country. Lol! At this point he is still following me and more pissed than ever, so thanks to my excellent BMW iDrive Navigation, I come up with a route where I drive around some country roads in circles. I eventually lose him due to traffic, but he sure made an effort. I think I may have scared him with my car being so loud. I've never seen anything like that before. Anyways I got out of the area and didn't see a single cop or him again. What a lunatic. Have you guys ever seen that before? Lol!

Otherwise I've been getting crazy compliments, thumbs up, and random people taking cell phone pictures on my M5. I really is incredible in the sunlight. I think the general public loves it!

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Yes I had some idiot do the same once pretend like they were calling the cops after I passed them. She pulled out in front of me in a mini van on a two lane road where the speed limit is 55 I was doing about 60 there was nothing behind me so she could have waited but decided to pull right out in front if me. Instead of slowing down I swerved and passed her. It wasn't a passing zone but I could see there was nothing coming. She then proceeded to tailgate me arms flailing and cell phone in hand. I pulled into a parking lot (not where I was going) and rolled down the window. She pulled up bedside me and I said do you have a problem? To which she replied I called the cops and have your tag # then pulled off....nothing ever happened.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Nardo F90 M5 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So I had to deal with some road rage on a whole new level today. Today I was driving down a single lane road that was very straight, very flat and with no much traffic on it. There were two cars in front of me a big truck and a small van that was in front that was doing 40mph in a 60mph zone. With nobody coming in the other direction for at least a couple of miles, I decide to pass both of them. There was a proper dashed passing line on the road and it was all clear.

I only passed the van in front going about 80mph but I was at full throttle, which is a probably above 113db. So a few miles later I come up to the intersection with heavy traffic and red light. I have to make a left turn so I get in the left turn lane. The guy in the small van I passed catches up to me and gets right behind me. He then starts making frantic arm gestures and is holding up his phone and I could immediately tell he's calling 911. The light turns green and I can't accurate because now there is a lot of traffic all around me. So I continue on to my destination and then I notice the dude in the ban starts weaving through traffic to follow me. He starts making every turn that I make. So I was like ok, let's play. Instead of using my 700hp to make a quick getaway, I decide to have some fun with him instead and I ditch my route to my destination and start to drive around aimlessly. I drive through a Pizza Hut parking lot, a self serve car wash, a mall parking garage, and then I head out of tone to the country. Lol! At this point he is still following me and more pissed than ever, so thanks to my excellent BMW iDrive Navigation, I come up with a route where I drive around some country roads in circles. I eventually lose him due to traffic, but he sure made an effort. I think I may have scared him with my car being so loud. I've never seen anything like that before. Anyways I got out of the area and didn't see a single cop or him again. What a lunatic. Have you guys ever seen that before? Lol!

Otherwise I've been getting crazy compliments, thumbs up, and random people taking cell phone pictures on my M5. I really is incredible in the sunlight. I think the general public loves it!
My brother and I have baseball bats in the car for situations like this just to be safe. I couldn't see this happening here in Miami though. Peoples driving habits are pretty crazy here. Amazing thing is I have become resilient to it living here. take alot to piss another driver off, as we deal with it daily. I use my horn on a daily basis. A mini axe in the truck always beats a bat.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17
Yes I had some idiot do the same once pretend like they were calling the cops after I passed them. She pulled out in front of me in a mini van on a two lane road where the speed limit is 55 I was doing about 60 there was nothing behind me so she could have waited but decided to pull right out in front if me. Instead of slowing down I swerved and passed her. It wasn't a passing zone but I could see there was nothing coming. She then proceeded to tailgate me arms flailing and cell phone in hand. I pulled into a parking lot (not where I was going) and rolled down the window. She pulled up bedside me and I said do you have a problem? To which she replied I called the cops and have your tag # then pulled off....nothing ever happened.
Oh good I'm glad I'm not the only one then. Lol!

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonymiabmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

I only passed the van in front going about 80mph but I was at full throttle, which is a probably above 113db. So a few miles later I come up to the intersection with heavy traffic and red light. I have to make a left turn so I get in the left turn lane. The guy in the small van I passed catches up to me and gets right behind me. He then starts making frantic arm gestures and is holding up his phone and I could immediately tell he's calling 911. The light turns green and I can't accurate because now there is a lot of traffic all around me. So I continue on to my destination and then I notice the dude in the ban starts weaving through traffic to follow me. He starts making every turn that I make. So I was like ok, let's play. Instead of using my 700hp to make a quick getaway, I decide to have some fun with him instead and I ditch my route to my destination and start to drive around aimlessly. I drive through a Pizza Hut parking lot, a self serve car wash, a mall parking garage, and then I head out of tone to the country. Lol! At this point he is still following me and more pissed than ever, so thanks to my excellent BMW iDrive Navigation, I come up with a route where I drive around some country roads in circles. I eventually lose him due to traffic, but he sure made an effort. I think I may have scared him with my car being so loud. I've never seen anything like that before. Anyways I got out of the area and didn't see a single cop or him again. What a lunatic. Have you guys ever seen that before? Lol!

My brother and I have baseball bats in the car for situations like this just to be safe. I couldn't see this happening here in Miami though. Peoples driving habits are pretty crazy here. Amazing thing is I have become resilient to it living here. I use my horn on a daily basis. A mini axe in the truck always beat a bat.
Maybe I should get that Ninja sword I saw on eBay. Thanks for the advice!

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Lmao I watched that whole video. I don't think I would drive if I lived in Russia
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
cassidysdad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 gone, 2016 pms m5

you can always drive to the local law enforcement office too
the guy is an idiot
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Crazy people in this world! I've had people go out of their way to catch up, get in front of me, then slow down when I accelerate hard from a stoplight. Weird!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Dont mess with people on mopeds either
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
alexey21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Turbo

In he NE its very common for someone to pretend they are calling 911. Iv had a lady try to read my plates to someone on the phone, but interestingly cops can not do anything as they did not witness the road rage. So they can "call" all they want, but cops will not respond.
2011 Turbo PDK (Retired)
2013 M5 Black Sapphire( Retired )
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
ShainoF10M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M8 GC

I'm sure people try to make "citizen's arrests" all the time with no effect. The higher decibel level on your sweet ride might provoke some knuckleheads to act sooner than they might otherwise, but the traffic violation is DOA in court unless you commit another violation in the presence of the cop. For this reason I think they ignore unless suspicion of DUI.

I remember in high school, I drove a 79 Trans Am, and I drove like a dbag, as a 17 year old "might" drive a 6.6 liter pmagnet. I started doing doughnuts in a neighborhood cul de sac after school (again, dick move) and a guy jumped in front of my car to make a citizen arrest. He even declared it in a very official sounding manner, and I smoked rubber all the way around him and out of his cul de sac without consequence. That was around '86, so no cell phones or cameras handy back then. Come to think of it, there wasn't a lot of road range back then either.

You played it cool though. Would a cop give you a noise violation during a stop with your rig?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

In my early to mid twenties, I pulled more than a few guys out of their cars. Girlfriends who witnessed it didn't stick around.
It was very immature and stupid. Thankfully, I met my wife and she was the key to the start of my civility. At this point, I would not want to run into a younger me... Highly trained with more testosterone than a race horse. So I now I just keep my cool and think about making money.
Road rage is rampant in the NE.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
In my early to mid twenties, I pulled more than a few guys out of their cars. Girlfriends who witnessed it didn't stick around.
It was very immature and stupid. Thankfully, I met my wife and she was the key to the start of my civility. At this point, I would not want to run into a younger me... Highly trained with more testosterone than a race horse. So I now I just keep my cool and think about making money.
Road rage is rampant in the NE.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad View Post
you can always drive to the local law enforcement office too
the guy is an idiot
I was thinking the same thing. It would be awesome to call the cops and tell them "i'm pulling into your parking as this guy is following me too". He probably would take off faster than the speed of light.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #15
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Sorry to hear that. I am sure there are some people here also drive and own mini vans but I just have to say most of the mini van drivers are trouble makers on the road according to many scenarios I had came across in the past. Sorry, pick-ups are not any better.
      04-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #16
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Sorry to hear that. I am sure there are some people here also drive and own mini vans but I just have to say most of the mini van drivers are trouble makers on the road according to many scenarios I had came across in the past. Sorry, pick-ups are not any better.
Idiot drivers are in all types of vehicles.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #17
infamousq
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ford Raptor

That has happen to me before but the guy followed me to my house. He was tailgating me the whole way. To this day I still do not know what I did. We was in bumper to bumper traffic in Philly and he just started running me down, so I tried to get away with no luck got to my house hopped out the car and threw my arms up he did a 180 and left. I kinda wish this happen to him LOL

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...i4JxJwq8c6B2QY
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
frcotting
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413
For some reason, I've noticed that people who drive Town & Country's are the biggest A-holes. Strange but true.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Tonymiabmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
That has happen to me before but the guy followed me to my house. He was tailgating me the whole way. To this day I still do not know what I did. We was in bumper to bumper traffic in Philly and he just started running me down, so I tried to get away with no luck got to my house hopped out the car and threw my arms up he did a 180 and left. I kinda wish this happen to him LOL

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...i4JxJwq8c6B2QY
Ha that was all over Florida new happened a couple weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #20
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
You could use your cars handling prowess to destabilize the other car. I have done this deliberately before, where an idiot in an SUV or van does this. You can make the guy swerve if you drive through a chicane fast, or rapidly approach an object in the road and then swerve around it. The soft suspension of those vehicles then causes the vehicle to rock which at speed can topple it. this would really stop the guy in his tracks and teach a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbdurham17
I wouldn't worry about people calling in your plate.

Miami has so many bad drivers, I call in plates all the time. I probably call in a couple of plates a month - usually drunk drivers, sometimes reckless drivers, and in a couple of cases people impersonating police officers (cars with strobes but with out of state civilian plates).

Not once have I got the sense that the 911 or FHP dispatchers were going to do anything about the person I reported. If they were interested they would ask you more questions like color of the car, make and model, what the driver looks like. They don't care. They've got better things to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
Leveraged Sellout
Private
Rep
Drives: 1988 535i

Absolutely hate people like this. Have had similar (but far less extreme) encounters. Some people need the excitement in their lives, I guess
Appreciate 0