BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Stranger question: M5 or 427 Corvette convertible?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
OK, I know, these are totally different animals etc, etc.

I have an M3 sedan with the DCT. I love it. Nothing about it that I don't like.
Except maybe it could use more power.

So I started thinking about trading it in for an M5. I'm giving up agility for power, I know that. But just when I thought I had matters sorted out, I started reading about the 427 Corvette convertible. Before I owned my M3, I had a C6 and I loved that car too. Bags of power, awesome sounds, low rent interior.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just keep the M3 and get the vette for weekends?

The 427 convertible will actually walk the M5 so it's got some juice.

Thoughts?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

If it were cars that were even similiar maybe we could help, but only you can tell is a 2 seater what you're after or a sedan. Those are very different.

That said, I'd get an M5, but I love sedans!

edit: Actually you're thinking 2 cars vs one. Tough call. I like having just one all-arounder, so I think I'd still take the M5, even if the alternative was the 427 and M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Richard Cranium
Private
Rep
Drives: It's a truck

If you're thinking 2 cars then for sure do the 427. M5 is awesome but as you've already hinted at, it's a compromise (more power than an M3 but not as agile but of course less giddyup than a 427)

Happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

The thing I struggle with about the M5 is that it's definitely very capable in terms of handling, not just raw power, to the point that it could even be somewhat usable on the track. But even so, no real track junkie would use the M5 as a track car; they would probably have a more track-oriented ride for that. But that relegates the M5 to DD duty, wasting a lot of its potential. That would be my (very much first world) problem if I were ever to consider owning one -- although I'm sure that's all a lot of owners will be doing with theirs. I don't think I'd be able to justify the added cost of my M3 over a 335i if I used it exclusively as a DD and never went to the track.

OP, I think that if you go to the track at all now, you'll miss your M3 if you switch it for an M5. Therefore I too would recommend going with the Corvette because as you said, it gives you lots of power, lots of agility, and a convertible if you're into that. Or as long as you're considering a second car, there are certainly other fine options for a fun powerful weekend/track ride.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-30-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

I was looking at the CTS-V which has a nicer interior than the 427 and I decided I'd rather pay the premium for the M5 because I like the interior that much more. I think if I was looking at the 427, the Maserati Granturismo enters into the tradespace as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
or you could do what I did, get an M5 and keep the M3.

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
grendel88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
The thing I struggle with about the M5 is that it's definitely very capable in terms of handling, not just raw power, to the point that it could even be somewhat usable on the track.
I know what you are saying but to be honest, I really doubt the M5 will make a decent track car. It just seems too heavy - it is going to roast the brakes and the tires right away and the engine is going to generate too much heat. I could be wrong - it's happened before - but I think the M5 won't be a good track car.

It really does seem best for high speed touring.

Pat
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
mrhonest
Oil pump waitlister
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Frozen Black

Get the 427 Corvette, sounds like its the "fun" you are after as defined by power. If you have to ask which one, the M5 is not for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonest View Post
Get the 427 Corvette, sounds like its the "fun" you are after as defined by power. If you have to ask which one, the M5 is not for you.
I love these responses. They are basically code for "if you dare question car XXX, you obviously aren't worthy".

I ask because:
- I own an M3 which I love
- But I like the idea of a much more powerful M3
- I wonder if that is an M5
- but I don't know because I don't own an M5
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
It honestly depends on how you measure powerful. Seat of the pants the Corvette will feel much faster. In actual raw acceleration, the M5 would probably be the winner. As you know, they're very different cars. I also own an M3, and for what it is, it can't be beat.

The M5 is probably one of the best daily drivers out there. You get a little bit of everything. The corvette would be a blast, but suffer in a number of area's including quality.

The honest answer is you'd enjoy having both, but if I could only choose one, it would be the M5.

JMO

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
I know what you are saying but to be honest, I really doubt the M5 will make a decent track car. It just seems too heavy - it is going to roast the brakes and the tires right away and the engine is going to generate too much heat. I could be wrong - it's happened before - but I think the M5 won't be a good track car.

It really does seem best for high speed touring.

Pat
Completely agree -- although it seems that reviewers have managed to get it to perform reasonably well. Still wouldn't be ideal due to the weight for sure, but not completely out of place either, and definitely better than most other cars in a similar weight and luxury class.

But my overall point was that if the M5 owners won't ever use their M5s at the track, it seems like the car will be largely wasted, especially in the US where the speed limits are 65, 70, or 80 at the absolute max. I grant that I definitely feel and appreciate the difference of my M3 compared to a 335i even on casual to spirited drives on public roads, but if that were the ONLY way I drove my M3, I don't think I'd feel that the difference in those settings justified the added cost of the M3. Likewise, I'm sure the M5 will feel better than a 550i even on public roads, but better by enough to justify its hefty premium? That to me is a tougher sell, and it still doesn't address my larger point of a car with such huge potential largely going to waste serving as a DD on city roads and freeways. Although given that most supercar owners keep their cars locked away in climate-controlled garages most of the time except maybe for the occasional cruise or taking supermodels to fancy restaurants, I guess a wasted M5 isn't even the most egregious case.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0