02-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #23
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
No issue. Car is insured, they are insured. It's just a car.
^^^^ This; I've had a tech take my M5 and X5M home many times.
      02-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #24
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
So my car is currently with my local service centre having the Drivetrain Malfunction Error looked at...

They have run full diagnostics and think that the software update has fixed the problem...

However....I have been told that the master tech wants to take the car home overnight and retest in the morning to make sure the problem does not come back...

Ive intially said yes to taking it home but I now feel very unconfortable....

Am I over-reacting here or should I just accept that this is needed to help fix the problem???

Would you let them take your car??
What's the manufacturer date? If it's prior to 9/13 (black sticker on drivers side) chances are the software update won't fix the issue. I had the same issue present itself while doing 65 on the highway w/cc. The software was updated last March and I'm pretty sure a newer version won't be available until March 2015. Hopefully I'm wrong. Good luck.

Last edited by skypx; 02-26-2015 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: damn auto correct!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #25
Ninong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post

However....I have been told that the master tech wants to take the car home overnight and retest in the morning to make sure the problem does not come back...

Ive intially said yes to taking it home but I now feel very unconfortable....

Am I over-reacting here or should I just accept that this is needed to help fix the problem???

Would you let them take your car??
Yes, I would definitely let him take the car home overnight so that he can drive it cold in the morning and in traffic on his way to work. The only question I might have is how far does he live from the dealership. The car is fully covered by the dealer's insurance policy because their records reflect that it was taken home for diagnostic purposes.

This is not an unusual request and shows that they are interested in your complete satisfaction.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 04:30 AM   #26
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

So got the car back yesterday....They didn't take the car home overnight but they did take it for a test drive...

The software was basically updated and reprogrammed...Everything seems ok now and I hope it stays like that!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #27
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
You guys are equating the car to a Veyron or Ferrari F40. As it has been said multiple times, a Master tech is not going to risk his career on taking the car for a joy ride. Do you guys even realize how hard it is to become a master tech in the first place? To each his own. If the car is that special to you, take her home.
Apparently you missed my story which is a true story and which I got unsolicited in a discussion about the road debris that cost me two months without my car and my insurance company $34,000.

Quote:
As for my car, the master tech couldn't give it any more hell than I put mine through.
Again, it's not his car and yeah, he could put it through more hell just because it's not his car. If you treat your car like shit just because it's yours then you probably wasted your money on the car. I doubt you do though, people buy these cars and they might drive them hard some, but they also baby them.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #28
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
Apparently you missed my story which is a true story and which I got unsolicited in a discussion about the road debris that cost me two months without my car and my insurance company $34,000.

Again, it's not his car and yeah, he could put it through more hell just because it's not his car. If you treat your car like shit just because it's yours then you probably wasted your money on the car. I doubt you do though, people buy these cars and they might drive them hard some, but they also baby them.
Like I said to each his own. Seems it's half and half, with members saying to let the tech take it home or not. There is a difference in driving the car hard and abusing it. I don't even let the dealer wash it. As for my experience, the techs are more thorough with M cars. I don't know if it is because they are limited production and it helps BMW diagnose problems with other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #29
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

If you allow, maybe ask far away he lives to gauge the miles driven.

Judge joy rides ex Billionaires Batista’s Porsche Cayenne:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...e-trading-case
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #30
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

I don't care about them driving my car the way I drive it -

I actually once asked the manager to take it home which he did and was basically to try reproduce the problem which he did too, and didn't notice any issues.

It is just a car again,

Yet if my car wasn't a lease I probably wouldn't
But that's me
Appreciate 0