M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery

07-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Delivery date in jeapordy - please advise

I submitted a request for Individual Upholstery on June 23rd, and I got a call from the dealer today (July 16th) saying that the ED date needs to be delayed till after Sept 12th. It is for a Full Platinum/Piano Individual interior. I did this because I like light colored leather, but don't like gray.

I am pretty annoyed about receiving this curve ball so late after I submitted the request because I have been asking for status on this request for weeks. It wasn't a quote request, it was a confirmation request. Normally these are processed within 1-2 days.

So I am wondering if the delay in processing on BMWs end is what is causing this delay.

What should I do? Escalate? Surrender? Settle for Silverstone?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

For this kind of money don't settle. Find out where the breakdown occurred. If the dealer is the cause ask them to reimburse monies lost for travel due to this.

If it was BMW it could be a glitch in the supply chain.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope it works out.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I submitted a request for Individual Upholstery on June 23rd, and I got a call from the dealer today (July 16th) saying that the ED date needs to be delayed till after Sept 12th. It is for a Full Platinum/Piano Individual interior. I did this because I like light colored leather, but don't like gray.

I am pretty annoyed about receiving this curve ball so late after I submitted the request because I have been asking for status on this request for weeks. It wasn't a quote request, it was a confirmation request. Normally these are processed within 1-2 days.

So I am wondering if the delay in processing on BMWs end is what is causing this delay.

What should I do? Escalate? Surrender? Settle for Silverstone?
What is your delivery date supposed to be? Are you a 9/1 guy? I forget.

If you are a 9/1 guy then I would concede to a different interior setup. For me personally the delivery experience on 9/1 will be a once in a lifetime experience. You can always sell this M5 later on and get the setup that you actually want in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
journeyguy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Check with your dealer again and see if anything can be done, if not and you still want to keep up with your original plan then change it to silverstone. There is always a risk of delay when going individual. It's one of those things where you are at the mercy of BMW. God luck !
      07-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

This is one of the things that has always concerned me about ED and why I chose once again, not to do ED with my M5 order. It's a great program and I'm sure it's a blast driving your own car around Europe, but production dates have a way of slipping, particularly on any special order and that makes it hard to keep an itinerary.

Stealth.Pilot, for what its worth, I'm going Silverstone and I actually think it's a better color for the M5 than the BMW Platinum interior leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Sorry for the late breaking news

Based on what I've heard by BMW NA and also my dealer BMW has delayed orders which include Individual options not on the standard option sheet to August and later production.
In my case I was lucky as I initially opted for delivery end of October and then pulled it in to Oct 1st.
You could try and convince BMW to get your production slot up but given it is an out-of-band option/order I won't hold much hope.
At least you didn't order Frozen Brilliant White where only 2 a month are leaving the factory.

- Jan
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Not sure this is going to work out. I am trying to lock down 9/14 delivery date now.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
This is one of the things that has always concerned me about ED and why I chose once again, not to do ED with my M5 order. It's a great program and I'm sure it's a blast driving your own car around Europe, but production dates have a way of slipping, particularly on any special order and that makes it hard to keep an itinerary.

Stealth.Pilot, for what its worth, I'm going Silverstone and I actually think it's a better color for the M5 than the BMW Platinum interior leather.
I'm going with Silverstone too. I prefer some of the individual colors, but didn't want to spend the extra $5K or deal with the production date uncertainty.

By the way, I'd rather drive a nice rental car on my own schedule in Europe (or use their great public transportation). Too much risk of damage and hassle with ED in my opinion.

My advice would be to get a US-delivery car instead... You'll also get the car sooner that way, and pay only if everything is to your satisfaction when you examine the car.

Last edited by visualguy; 07-16-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
ibrennan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen Gray M3

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Sorry for the late breaking news

Based on what I've heard by BMW NA and also my dealer BMW has delayed orders which include Individual options not on the standard option sheet to August and later production.
In my case I was lucky as I initially opted for delivery end of October and then pulled it in to Oct 1st.
You could try and convince BMW to get your production slot up but given it is an out-of-band option/order I won't hold much hope.
At least you didn't order Frozen Brilliant White where only 2 a month are leaving the factory.

- Jan
I actually ordered Frozen Brilliant White, I am scheduled for ED on 9/27. Where did you get this information about 2 a month? When I first placed the order I was told Frozen Brilliant White wouldn't be available until after October. Shortly after they came back and said it would be available without delay and I locked it in.

I also currently have a request in to BMW Individual about ordering the exhaust tips, kidney grills, side vents and door handles in black chrome. Has anyone received pricing on this yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
I know I've butted heads with someone here regarding the "color" of silverstone (I think more white than grey), however I would not spend the $ AND miss the 9/1 experience for Platinum. The trim on the other hand depends on how badly you want it. Tough choices and I hope you make it out with the group. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrennan View Post
I actually ordered Frozen Brilliant White, I am scheduled for ED on 9/27. Where did you get this information about 2 a month? When I first placed the order I was told Frozen Brilliant White wouldn't be available until after October. Shortly after they came back and said it would be available without delay and I locked it in.

I also currently have a request in to BMW Individual about ordering the exhaust tips, kidney grills, side vents and door handles in black chrome. Has anyone received pricing on this yet?
I was on the fence for Frozen Brilliant White (have seen it in Munich a few weeks back) and really really wanted it but in the end decided against it due to the maintenance challenges.
I know I'll be envy of yours . I ended up with Brilliant White but full individual extended leather.
The information of only 2 frozen brilliant white cars produced a month is from a source at BMW GY. Demand for frozen colors is higher than expected and I assume they are busy with shipping plenty of cars with the "standard" frozen colors (silver, gray, black) .
But they are ramping up and will increase production over time.

If you happen to be still around on 1/10 maybe we can catch up and even do a side by side shoot with frozen and standard Brilliant White at the Welt

- Jan
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrennan View Post
Might be a lot cheaper to get these from a vendor. See this thread:

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717421
Previous: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2016 Silverstone M5 CP, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 CP (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post

I'm going with Silverstone too. I prefer some of the individual colors, but didn't want to spend the extra $5K or deal with the production date uncertainty.

By the way, I'd rather drive a nice rental car on my own schedule in Europe (or use their great public transportation). Too much risk of damage and hassle with ED in my opinion.

My advice would be to get a US-delivery car instead... You'll also get the car sooner that way, and pay only if everything is to your satisfaction when you examine the car.
The vacation element driving our own car is something I am as excited about as the M5. This is one of the main reasons I am upgrading my Dinan 550i M-Sport with less than a year of ownership. So US delivery is not an option.

Regarding the color, I could live with Silverstone, but it is definitely a gray not a white. Platinum and Opal White are the only whites in the BMW portfolio.

I am fairly clear about this because I spent a whole day driving a Monte Carlo Blue F10 M5 with a Full Silverstone interior last year in Spain. Maybe it was the aluminum trim rather than the gray leather, but the impression I had of that Silverstone/aluminum interior is that it seemed cheap to my eyes. Its not cheap, but thats the way it appears to me. The color just seems off, as if they were trying for white, but couldn't pull it off.

I could live with it, but I won't like it. So I have told BMW if they can get me a pickup of the car I want on 9/14 then I will stick with my spec. If it takes longer, then I will settle for Silverstone since I can't wait any later before the weather starts to get cold. It's a trade off between quality vacation dates and preferred interior design.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #14
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Yeah - Silverstone looks like somewhat dirty white, but I can't imagine having orange, black makes the car feel too dark, and there are no other options unless you go with individual.

Just wondering - what's the attraction of driving your own car vs renting a car in Europe? I guess that's the fundamental thing I never understood about ED. For me, picking up a new car and going on vacation are very separate activities, and mixing them just compromises both and adds stress, risk and unneeded complication to the mix. Different strokes for different folks...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Adding dark wood trim makes the silverstone pop more and look less "dirty"white. I too did the Spain gig and agree silverstone and aluminum trim was not the best combo for me.

FYI my 2c on the whole ED experience. It is fantastic, done it befoe. I share stealthpilots view.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Wood trim in a sporty car just doesn't seem right somehow, particularly if the exterior color is MCB.

Another option is to go with extended rather than full Silverstone to minimize the amount of that color in the car. That's what I ended up doing.

As to ED - I guess I'll never get it - I've been to Europe many times and never felt like I should be driving my new car there (quite the opposite, if anything...) The Welt experience always seemed to me like a pilgrimage to a shrine of consumerism and corporate aggrandizement, overpowering in its ostentatiousness.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Wood trim in a sporty car just doesn't seem right somehow, particularly if the exterior color is MCB.

Another option is to go with extended rather than full Silverstone to minimize the amount of that color in the car. That's what I ended up doing.

As to ED - I guess I'll never get it - I've been to Europe many times and never felt like I should be driving my new car there (quite the opposite, if anything...) The Welt experience always seemed to me like a pilgrimage to a shrine of consumerism and corporate aggrandizement, overpowering in its ostentatiousness.
Wow, those are a lot of big words.

From those of us who have done it, and thoroughly enjoyed it, let me be the first to say it sure does sound like you won't ever get it.
      07-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Wow, those are a lot of big words.

From those of us who have done it, and thoroughly enjoyed it, let me be the first to say it sure does sound like you won't ever get it.
I totally agree. Reading from all these posts, it seems that there are people who just don't get the satisfaction of being alive and missing out on a lot of things. Travelling in Europe in ones car is such a joy. If one always think about the bad things that could happen, then why even bother on getting an M5 or for that matter any car? Why not just stay home, rot away and just wait until ones death!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #19
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

European delivery is a huge part of the package for me. The thought of driving my own brand new M5 through Germany with my brother is surreal. And for the next few years when I see it sitting in the garage, I'll remember driving that very same car on the autobahn, and perhaps even the Ring, and I'll just smile. But thats just me
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy

Life is all about experiences and memories. Picking up my M5 at The Welt with other M Enthusiasts will be a life long memory and experience. To each his own!

Oh and I forgot I saved a ton of money!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
matthewEW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
European delivery is a huge part of the package for me. The thought of driving my own brand new M5 through Germany with my brother is surreal. And for the next few years when I see it sitting in the garage, I'll remember driving that very same car on the autobahn, and perhaps even the Ring, and I'll just smile. But thats just me
I hope to do the same. I have gone through Europe as a passenger in a friend's car, driven a rental, went back-packing during my student years and even went around via student-rail and Eurail-pass. This will be the first time for me to do it in my own brand new M5 especially through several famous passes. The memory of having driven around Europe in my own car will be something that I hope to cherish in my senior years and retirement.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewEW View Post
Travelling in Europe in ones car is such a joy.
In what way is it more of a joy than traveling in Europe without your own car (rental car, public transportation)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewEW View Post
why even bother on getting an M5
In my case, I think it's mostly a case of affluenza, possibly combined with some elements of a midlife crisis. I could get two perfectly fine cars for the price of the M5, the extra capabilities of the M5 are irrelevant on public roads, and I don't go to the racetrack. Also, I know from experience that the joy of owning a shiny expensive new toy dissipates very quickly, and I need my next fix. Basically, no good reason to do it, but I still do it.
Appreciate 0