BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Anyone do M School at VIR April 30/May 1

If so I would love to hear how it went. I was scheduled to go and super stoked and then had to cancel due to work....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
ICTZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and G06 X6

Wow, that stinks!

I did attend the class and had a great time. Being in the second class paid off. The first class had rain both days. We had rain off and on the first day and overnight Wednesday, but the track dried out nicely during the first session on Thursday and was perfect from then on.

Wednesday went as follows:

AM M5's - North course working exercises on turn 1
M3's - skid pad
M6's - South course working exercises on Oak tree corner

PM M5's - Lapping the North course
M3's - Skid Pad
M6's - Lapping the South Course
Whatever cars you finished in, you did a hand full of full course recon laps.

As I mentioned, it rained off and on during the day. The timing was such that I got wet on the South course in the morning and afternoon. The skies opened up pretty good and the recon laps were cut short.

Thursday went as follows:

AM M3's and M5's full course lapping following an instructor usually two students per instructor, no more than three.
M6's Patriot course lapping. After the initial introduction, it was open lapping with two instructors positioned around the course giving feedback.

PM M5's and M6's full course lapping, lead/follow just like the AM
M3's Patriot course lapping.
Timed laps in the M3's on the Patriot course.

This was my first on track experience. I started the day in the M3's. I then moved to the M6's on the Patriot course. This was perfect given my lack of experience. It gave me time to build speed in the M3's and then get used to the speed/acceleration of the heavier M6 on the slower Patriot course before hitting the full course in the M5's. The instructors did an excellent job keeping things in check and still challenging you to go faster. The instructors did an outstanding job observing the students and reminding them to look down the track (way down the track!). One time I was told not to drive with my fingers on the paddle shifters (makes it harder to feel the feedback through the steering wheel).

Just before lunch on Thursday, the instructors gave hot laps on the full course. It was amazing how much harder they attacked the corners, hit the brakes, and accelerated compared to what we were doing. I guess that's why they are instructors and I have a day job!

For the afternoon, having the M5's and M6's on the full course and the M3's on the Patriot course was perfect.

All of the cars had the competition package (M3's as well). The M5's and M6's had the carbon ceramic brakes. They were awesome lap after lap. We were well fed from the opening night meal right through lunch the last day. As with every other class that I have taken through the Performance Center, I walked away already planning my next visit.

I highly recommend this class (well any class taught by the Performance Center). It is a real bummer that work stopped you from attending. Hopefully things will work out for you to attend another Advanced M School. If there is anything in particular that you I did not mention that you would like to know about the class, just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

thanks for the review-

have been trying to get into the Atlanta school but has been sold out. Sounds like they work a lot more on high speed maneuvers compared to the 2 day M school which is a mix of everything.

How did the CCBs feel? At M school I thought the steel brakes were fine, but they really did limit full lapping to just small portions of the day. Out at a big track I really had noticeable fade and it really altered brake points going into corners, so wondering how the CCBs performed throughout the day
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTZHP View Post
One time I was told not to drive with my fingers on the paddle shifters (makes it harder to feel the feedback through the steering wheel).

All of the cars had the competition package (M3's as well). The M5's and M6's had the carbon ceramic brakes.
Wow! Thanks for the review! I didn't know that they were now using M5's and M6's with Competition Packages and CCB's. That would make the experience SO much better. Also, I have not heard to keep fingers off the paddle shifters before. Good advice! Love it! Thank you!

I want to go back when they get the new F80 M3 and F82 M4 at the school. I'm hoping this summer they will get them.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
ICTZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
thanks for the review-

have been trying to get into the Atlanta school but has been sold out. Sounds like they work a lot more on high speed maneuvers compared to the 2 day M school which is a mix of everything.

How did the CCBs feel? At M school I thought the steel brakes were fine, but they really did limit full lapping to just small portions of the day. Out at a big track I really had noticeable fade and it really altered brake points going into corners, so wondering how the CCBs performed throughout the day
Yes, the Advanced M School has much more high speed work then the classes at the Performance Center. When I attended the 2 Day M School, the instructors commented that speed is what you gain by going to the off site classes and is needed to advance further. At the time, I didn't really understand what they meant, I do now.

The CCB's felt great. Lap after lap, they hauled the M5 and M6 down from 150+ without any fade that I was able perceive. They were very confidence inspiring. Do note that this was my first track experience and was certainly not pushing the car as hard as others. At one point, the instructors warned that the M3's did not have the CCB's, so we should be on the lookout for fade as the sessions went on. No such warning went with the CCB's. To me that is a glowing endorsement.

Good luck with getting into another Advanced M School. I am not positive, but I thought I saw that they were returning to Road Atlanta this fall. Might be something to inquire about.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
ICTZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Wow! Thanks for the review! I didn't know that they were now using M5's and M6's with Competition Packages and CCB's. That would make the experience SO much better. Also, I have not heard to keep fingers off the paddle shifters before. Good advice! Love it! Thank you!

I want to go back when they get the new F80 M3 and F82 M4 at the school. I'm hoping this summer they will get them.
No problem! I was actually shocked with that bit of feedback. I was fully expecting comments on my driving line and keeping my eyes up, but having the instructor paying that close of attention to my hands amazed me.

When I signed up for the class last August, I really didn't give the available cars much thought. I was in the mode that it would be awesome no matter what they had. The closer it got to class time, I was hoping that by some stroke of luck the F80's and F82's would be there. I was lucky enough to be in one of the first classes in SC to use the 1M's. Well, lightening did not strike twice, but I really love the E92 M3, so no disappointment from me!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTZHP View Post
Wow, that stinks!

I did attend the class and had a great time. Being in the second class paid off. The first class had rain both days. We had rain off and on the first day and overnight Wednesday, but the track dried out nicely during the first session on Thursday and was perfect from then on.

Wednesday went as follows:

AM M5's - North course working exercises on turn 1
M3's - skid pad
M6's - South course working exercises on Oak tree corner

PM M5's - Lapping the North course
M3's - Skid Pad
M6's - Lapping the South Course
Whatever cars you finished in, you did a hand full of full course recon laps.

As I mentioned, it rained off and on during the day. The timing was such that I got wet on the South course in the morning and afternoon. The skies opened up pretty good and the recon laps were cut short.

Thursday went as follows:

AM M3's and M5's full course lapping following an instructor usually two students per instructor, no more than three.
M6's Patriot course lapping. After the initial introduction, it was open lapping with two instructors positioned around the course giving feedback.

PM M5's and M6's full course lapping, lead/follow just like the AM
M3's Patriot course lapping.
Timed laps in the M3's on the Patriot course.

This was my first on track experience. I started the day in the M3's. I then moved to the M6's on the Patriot course. This was perfect given my lack of experience. It gave me time to build speed in the M3's and then get used to the speed/acceleration of the heavier M6 on the slower Patriot course before hitting the full course in the M5's. The instructors did an excellent job keeping things in check and still challenging you to go faster. The instructors did an outstanding job observing the students and reminding them to look down the track (way down the track!). One time I was told not to drive with my fingers on the paddle shifters (makes it harder to feel the feedback through the steering wheel).

Just before lunch on Thursday, the instructors gave hot laps on the full course. It was amazing how much harder they attacked the corners, hit the brakes, and accelerated compared to what we were doing. I guess that's why they are instructors and I have a day job!

For the afternoon, having the M5's and M6's on the full course and the M3's on the Patriot course was perfect.

All of the cars had the competition package (M3's as well). The M5's and M6's had the carbon ceramic brakes. They were awesome lap after lap. We were well fed from the opening night meal right through lunch the last day. As with every other class that I have taken through the Performance Center, I walked away already planning my next visit.

I highly recommend this class (well any class taught by the Performance Center). It is a real bummer that work stopped you from attending. Hopefully things will work out for you to attend another Advanced M School. If there is anything in particular that you I did not mention that you would like to know about the class, just let me know.
Damn. Work sucks even more now. Thanks for the great write-up. It looks like a great time. Will look to see what they offer in the fall or next spring.
Appreciate 0