M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #67
cnes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F10 M5, F13 M6, F80 M3

i have noticed this issue, i thought i was being over sensitive, or that it could be the tires. i just found this thread. i am going to test it in other settings now. to see if there is any change. but usually i am in + mode on all 3
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #68
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Whenever i drive my car very hard, after a while when i slow down, the steering starts to vibrate. However, i always thought it was some sort of cooling turning on and causing the steering to vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #69
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthai View Post
Hi Guys,

I thoroughly enjoy reading the forum and have learned a lot from the board members, but never really posted anything because I thought I have nothing to contribute until now. I too have the stupid steering vibration problem so I took it in. I attached the invoice for what was done to the front suspension. I just got the car back today and I can say that 80% of the vibration is gone. I hope this help the members who are having the same problem.

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/rece...AbOWbFq2YsmryI

Hope the picture comes up.

JT
Hi Jon, glad the problem has improved, what month was your car manufactured out of interest please?.
      11-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #70
jonthai
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5, 2013 911 C2S

Garage List
2006 330i Sport  [0.00]
It was built on 10/12. The funny thing was there were service supervisor had 2 other M5 in for service and they have the same vibration issue but the owners never complaint about it.

They had a field engineer to diagnose the issue and he told them to call BMW in Germany and they knew exactly what he was talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #71
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It was built on 10/12. The funny thing was there were service supervisor had 2 other M5 in for service and they have the same vibration issue but the owners never complaint about it.

They had a field engineer to diagnose the issue and he told them to call BMW in Germany and they knew exactly what he was talking about.
I checked my LCI today over really crap roads , I could feel some road vibes but that would apply to any car as these were really badly degraded, once off these the car was vibration free. So they must have upgraded something.
      11-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #72
GratefulM5
Living the Dream
Rep
Drives: '19 M850i Convertible, '19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6
Quote:

I checked my LCI today over really crap roads , I could feel some road vibes but that would apply to any car as these were really badly degraded, once off these the car was vibration free. So they must have upgraded something.
Nope. My LCI has it as well.... I'm waiting for my "tires/ bushings /Tinkerbell fairy dust to properly wear in" and make it disappear. Im going to have my service advisor read this thread and address it next time I take it in (who knows if it'll be before my 10k service, as it's not a HUGE issue).

Hell is where the police are German, the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #73
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

Any fix for this yet? Is there an SIB for it? I'm having this steering wheel vibration "frequency" numbing feel at almost all speeds, but depending on the road surface. Of course, if I try to replicate the problem it won't vibrate as it does on the road where the dealership is located. But driving on the highway it is nearly unbearable at this point. Is there any way to get rid of it? It's at the point where it's basically not worth having the car if it's not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #74
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Its the same for me but I have gotten used to it. However, after driving the car really hard, there is a very rough vibration on the wheel, as if the engine is working something to cool the car (but it causes alot of steering vibration which feels like the lane departure vibration on some cars). Anyone know if this is for cooling?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #75
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Ha I noticed this as well in my 14'. As other said I thought I was being overly sensitive. On highways too but it does have to do with road condition. My other car does not do it on the same road and the suspension is much stiffer then the M5.

I am planning to get the tires balanced just to see if it helps but the vibrations are not consistent with speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #76
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

I had this for the first approximately 2,000 miles then it seemed to (almost) completely go away. I have the OEM 20" wheels btw. At 15,000 miles I started noticing the vibration much more again, but recently placed my 19" OEM wheels/winter tyres on the car and the high speed, (>75 mph) vibration has now disappeared again. Hence I'm thinking that my 20"s have become unbalanced, so I'll be getting a full Hunter Road Force balance prior to putting the 20"s back on the car.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #77
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I was driving the car on the highway yesterday, and the vibration really started to annoy me. At the beginning, it felt ok, but as I start using the car more, its starting to upset me. Any solutions yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #78
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
As the only person who owns and drives 2013 and 2014 M5s concurrently, I can tell you there is no difference in the level of steering wheel vibration. Issues highlighted on this thread are examples of manufacturing variability. Most 2013 and 2014 cars have no vibration except for that related to road feel or driving assistant.

The main advantage of the 2014 steering is it feels a little lighter in comfort mode, and has slightly better on center feel. However vibration is not an advantage

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 12-20-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #79
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
With this many people feeling this vibration we should have a strong case to speak to BMW NA to investigate the problem??
      12-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #80
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
With this many people feeling this vibration we should have a strong case to speak to BMW NA to investigate the problem??
I believe this is quite important and we should definitely speak to them
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #81
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

Mine is now to the point where it's worth contacting the headquarters of BMW NA because after long drives, both of my hands get very numb, it's a very unpleasant feeling. The vibration goes away and comes back depending on the road surface, and newly-paved roads seem to make it worse.

I mentioned to the dealer multiple times to check into it and he said it's "functioning as designed" and that he drove another m5 and it had the exact same steering feel. But the problem is they test drive my car on the road where the feel is just the least noticeable. On the highway it's the absolute worst and even when they do confirm this vibration there's no fix for it.

I'm wondering if every f10 m5 owner is having this vibration and don't notice it or it's just a select few of us with this problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #82
cnes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F10 M5, F13 M6, F80 M3

i believe timberwolf had the issue fixed.. any troubles since?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #83
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Figured it out I think

So I've come into the same issue on my 13. Didn't have any vibration this morning because I did not enter M mode or change any settings at all. Also have a friends 14 at my house right now that I've been comparing it too. Seems that once you engage any steering change or possibly suspension change (not sure since I left it all alone) that's when the vibration occurs. I would suggest that everyone try driving the car in all the default settings without changing anything, and get on the highway. The car felt like it did the day I got it. Smooth with just the right amount of feel in the wheel. Mind you that once you push your m button regardless if you revert back to the regular settings the problem will occur. So I'm not sure if this can be solved with a software update or an actual mechanical repair. Please let me know if anyone gets the same results. I also have 15350 miles on my first set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #84
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend
Mine is now to the point where it's worth contacting the headquarters of BMW NA because after long drives, both of my hands get very numb, it's a very unpleasant feeling. The vibration goes away and comes back depending on the road surface, and newly-paved roads seem to make it worse.

I mentioned to the dealer multiple times to check into it and he said it's "functioning as designed" and that he drove another m5 and it had the exact same steering feel. But the problem is they test drive my car on the road where the feel is just the least noticeable. On the highway it's the absolute worst and even when they do confirm this vibration there's no fix for it.

I'm wondering if every f10 m5 owner is having this vibration and don't notice it or it's just a select few of us with this problem.
Did you have the red m3 at Suncoast with a few of your buddies almost two years ago? I had the silverstone m3 with the performance exhaust. I also upgraded to the m5. If this isn't you then there are more people in Sarasota with M's then I thought lol. Having the same vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #85
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Not heard any UK owners have this or any steering issues , I have covered 4600 miles now all good, and I am now on my 20" Michelin Alpin Shod wheels.

The roads here are far from good and smooth, so thats not a factor IMO.
      01-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #86
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Except me John!

When I had my first F13 M6 (an early-build 2012 model) about 8 months ago, I had the same vibration issue and despite repeated attempts to have my wheels balanced (including a road-force balance), the vibration remained.

I never took it back to BMW because 1. the speeds it occurred at were probably higher than BMW would be prepared to replicate in the UK and 2. I got a good deal on a new 2014 Competition Pack car so I just traded it in (the easy fix!). Had I kept the car, I definitely would've taken it back to BMW and I guess I'd have to drive it to demonstrate the problem....but something tells me this would've been a world of pain for me.

It was an extremely annoying and frustrating fault, and seemed characteristic of the car - it definitely wasn't wheel balance or anything wheel related. It was at it's worst at 85-100mph but could be felt to a lesser extent on either side of those speeds. At the time, there was little information on the web about it and I was somewhat perplexed that nobody else had similar - I even posted about it on the M6 forum and, bar a couple of people in the US who concurred but had no further information, nobody else seemed to have a problem.

It appears theres a lot more people coming forward about this now and it's good that there do appear to be some fixes coming through. However, jonthai mentions his is only 80% fixed but thats just not good enough IMO. NO new car these days, especially one that costs what our big-M's do, should have such a vibration. If I was jonthai, in an attempt for a 100% resolution I'd be pushing for a new steering rack as this appears to be one of the main front-end components not yet replaced.

This problem very nearly cost BMW the sale of my current M6 as I felt it was a big risk ordering another car without the guarantee that wouldn't do the same. Thankfully, there is no vibration in my 2014MY car (although the CP does have a different rack) but if the problem is this widespread across the globe, BMW really should have a known fix/TSB in place by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:03 AM   #87
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Except me John!

When I had my first F13 M6 (an early-build 2012 model) about 8 months ago, I had the same vibration issue and despite repeated attempts to have my wheels balanced (including a road-force balance), the vibration remained.

I never took it back to BMW because 1. the speeds it occurred at were probably higher than BMW would be prepared to replicate in the UK and 2. I got a good deal on a new 2014 Competition Pack car so I just traded it in (the easy fix!). Had I kept the car, I definitely would've taken it back to BMW and I guess I'd have to drive it to demonstrate the problem....but something tells me this would've been a world of pain for me.

It was an extremely annoying and frustrating fault, and seemed characteristic of the car - it definitely wasn't wheel balance or anything wheel related. It was at it's worst at 85-100mph but could be felt to a lesser extent on either side of those speeds. At the time, there was little information on the web about it and I was somewhat perplexed that nobody else had similar - I even posted about it on the M6 forum and, bar a couple of people in the US who concurred but had no further information, nobody else seemed to have a problem.

It appears theres a lot more people coming forward about this now and it's good that there do appear to be some fixes coming through. However, jonthai mentions his is only 80% fixed but thats just not good enough IMO. NO new car these days, especially one that costs what our big-M's do, should have such a vibration. If I was jonthai, in an attempt for a 100% resolution I'd be pushing for a new steering rack as this appears to be one of the main front-end components not yet replaced.

This problem very nearly cost BMW the sale of my current M6 as I felt it was a big risk ordering another car without the guarantee that wouldn't do the same. Thankfully, there is no vibration in my 2014MY car (although the CP does have a different rack) but if the problem is this widespread across the globe, BMW really should have a known fix/TSB in place by now.
I was unaware of your problem, I would not be keeping my M5 if they could not remedy a fault like that.
Glad your new LCI M6 is all good, as mine is.
      01-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #88
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

this seems to be a big problem for many BMW owners, of all series.. I can't believe there is no fix.?! sounds like a steering rack problem... is it possible that perhaps loose mountings or components in the steering set-up or a constantly moving part/engine is resting on the steering column and causing vibration?? does it happen when stationary? I'm clutching at straws here..
as the competition package included steering upgrades, has anyone felt these vibrations in a CP model, or LCI for that matter?
Appreciate 0