BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
Jasoneo5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997 TTs, GS-F, RS6, M6 GC-sold

Rotor vs Pad Life

Hi All - trying to see if you'd expect my rotors to be original.

Have a 2014 M6 GC w/ approx 62k miles and my pads are down to 4mm, all 4 rotors have lips. No cracking evident. Previous owner was an older gentlemen that put 15k on the car per year. All carfax shows is "rear brake replacement" at 37k but not sure if that was pads or rotors also.

Is it possible that these are the original rotors? Would you assume that I'm currently on my 2nd set of pads bad on mileage? With light use of the car, primarily for commuting - how many miles can a set of rotors last?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

There is a rotor measurement made by technician to check for min. thickness when you eventually pull it in for the pad swap.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #3
alex91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoneo5 View Post
Hi All - trying to see if you'd expect my rotors to be original.

Have a 2014 M6 GC w/ approx 62k miles and my pads are down to 4mm, all 4 rotors have lips. No cracking evident. Previous owner was an older gentlemen that put 15k on the car per year. All carfax shows is "rear brake replacement" at 37k but not sure if that was pads or rotors also.

Is it possible that these are the original rotors? Would you assume that I'm currently on my 2nd set of pads bad on mileage? With light use of the car, primarily for commuting - how many miles can a set of rotors last?
Get this rotor gauge tool for $50 from amazon and measure your rotors. The front one you can measure without taking the wheel off. For the rear you will have to take the wheel off, as the heat shield is there and it makes it impossible to measure.
To answer your question, your rear pads will wear out faster on m5 and m6. Unless you are in stop and go traffic, or ride your brakes, you should be able to get 40-50k miles out of your front and rear rotors and front pads. Rear pads will go closer to 40k miles.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0