M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #23
JimmyZ06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmellion View Post
Agreed! Love it. Best money I ever spent!
I hope so, I just pulled the trigger on this yesterday.

2022 Marina Bay Blue X5M Competition

Last edited by JimmyZ06; 06-10-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #24
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

^ Have you had it installed yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #25
Quicksilver72
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP Individual

FWIW my 2014 F10 M5 CP with Akrapovic with Dinantronics Stage 2 & CAI Put down 622RWHP, in 90° F and after idling for 20 minutes & was totally heat-soaked, at Timmayfest 2015. Two identical pulls. No TRQ numbers unfortunately.
2014 F10 M5 Individual, Azurite Black, Competition Package, 20" 601 M Wheels, Ai Custom Laser Interceptor & BelSTiR Radar Package, Bang & Olufsen Stereo, Heads Up Display, Executive Package, Driver's Assistance Package, LED Lighting Package, DINANTRONICS Stage 2, Dinan Cold Air intake, Akrapovic Exhaust. Dyno'd 622RWHP.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 12:25 PM   #26
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

just had stage 1 installed this week.

agree with OP comments, very noticeable difference and I would classify this as ludicrous speed.

in the manual transmissions, there was a subtle but noticeable lag in the sub 2k rpm range. now it seems like there is no noticeable power drop throughout the rpm range and pulls like crazy. Every gear is nuts!

very satisfied overall- only gripe is that they mounted the ecu at the front and if there is a front collision the ecu is toast.

highly recommended for anyone who wants to keep warranty intact.
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #27
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post

agree with OP comments, very noticeable difference and I would classify this as ludicrous speed.

in the manual transmissions, there was a subtle but noticeable lag in the sub 2k rpm range. now it seems like there is no noticeable power drop throughout the rpm range and pulls like crazy. Every gear is nuts!

very satisfied overall- only gripe is that they mounted the ecu at the front and if there is a front collision the ecu is toast.

Mounted it at the front ?
Due to the routing of the wire harness, the Dinan computer should be routed to the passenger side fender area.
There is a specific mounting bracket with the kit that will mount the computer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #28
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post

You're referring to the DINAN warranty though?
      10-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #29
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
Due to the routing of the wire harness, the Dinan computer should be routed to the passenger side fender area.
Just had mine installed by Momentum BMW SW in Houston last week and I too found it odd that they chose to velcro it down to the front of the car. I was hoping it would be tucked away someplace.

Dinan_Engineering, what say you?
Attached Images

2008 E90 M3 (gone)

Last edited by Lerxst M4; 10-05-2015 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #30
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M5 View Post
Just had mine installed by Momentum BMW SW in Houston last week and I too found it odd that they chose to velcro it down to the front of the car. I was hoping it would be tucked away someplace.

Dude, wtf is this your installer needs to
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #31
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbc View Post
Dude, wtf is this your installer needs to
Installer read the instructions just fine. =) Install Guide.

In the early days the DINANTRONICS module was located under the cowl on the passenger side. This was changed however and the module should now be in the front of the engine compartment like you have it done.

Reasoning being that the area it used to be in was very susceptible to flooding. There is one exit pathway in that corner that is notoriously blocked by debris which would in turn allow the pocket to be filled with water, submerging the box for extended periods of time when in inclement weather. While the box is weatherproof it still doesn't stand up well to being submerged in water for extended periods. It was then relocated to the front of the engine bay where such an occurrence can not happen.

Being that we test/develop in CA where we haven't seen a drop of rain in about 17 years that knowledge was not something we were used to in early development. =)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #32
Lerxst M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Installer read the instructions just fine. =) Install Guide.

In the early days the DINANTRONICS module was located under the cowl on the passenger side. This was changed however and the module should now be in the front of the engine compartment like you have it done.

Reasoning being that the area it used to be in was very susceptible to flooding. There is one exit pathway in that corner that is notoriously blocked by debris which would in turn allow the pocket to be filled with water, submerging the box for extended periods of time when in inclement weather. While the box is weatherproof it still doesn't stand up well to being submerged in water for extended periods. It was then relocated to the front of the engine bay where such an occurrence can not happen.

Being that we test/develop in CA where we haven't seen a drop of rain in about 17 years that knowledge was not something we were used to in early development. =)
Awesome!! Thanks for the reply, Dinan_Engineering!

...and holy balls this things moves out now.
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #33
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I personally wouldn't want my computer mounted in the open like that.
Just looks odd to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I personally wouldn't want my computer mounted in the open like that.
Just looks odd to me.
It does to me as well but its in your face marketing under the hood which I guess I kind of like. Being in CA where we have no rain the cowl / flood compartment is probably just fine to mount it in since there is practically no chance of flooding anyway without rain (although I will note that there was an instance of a gentleman that had that compartment flood because he took the thing through a car wash every couple of days and the draining area was backed up with debris so it still flooded even without the presence of weather). Just a poor drainage design back there is all.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #35
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Hey - we have car washes in CA!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #36
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It does to me as well but its in your face marketing under the hood which I guess I kind of like. Being in CA where we have no rain the cowl / flood compartment is probably just fine to mount it in since there is practically no chance of flooding anyway without rain (although I will note that there was an instance of a gentleman that had that compartment flood because he took the thing through a car wash every couple of days and the draining area was backed up with debris so it still flooded even without the presence of weather). Just a poor drainage design back there is all.
Totally understand
1 thing I do is wrap the module in a plastic bag and secure the bag for no water leak. Just a second safety
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #37
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
It does to me as well but its in your face marketing under the hood which I guess I kind of like.
Flip the D logo around then if that's your goal. Upside D on the module, correct D on the sticker to the right?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #38
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst M5
Quote:

Incorrect there is a mounting plate and it mounts on the plate w/ Velcro the. The plate screws in next to the ecu on the Pax side. ( ah I see now where they changed the placement... I would not want to have it there at all.)
      10-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #39
Lerxst M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Incorrect there is a mounting plate and it mounts on the plate w/ Velcro the. The plate screws in next to the ecu on the Pax side.
Thanks Spinny. According to the Dinan rep here this is the new (and correct) place to mount it. Do you have any pictures of where yours was when you had it?
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:59 PM   #40
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Incorrect there is a mounting plate and it mounts on the plate w/ Velcro the. The plate screws in next to the ecu on the Pax side.
Thanks Spinny. According to the Dinan rep here this is the new (and correct) place to mount it. Do you have any pictures of where yours was when you had it?
Can send you one in the am
      10-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #41
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Flip the D logo around then if that's your goal. Upside D on the module, correct D on the sticker to the right?
Wasnt the goal. Just so happened to be how it ended up. Just noting as a marketing guy that the new placement isnt all bad in my eyes (even if the logo happens to be upside down). We have enough of those cases made up its not worthwhile to change until the next run. Wheneever that may be.

Quote:
Can send you one in the am
Thanks for posting Spinny. Gives me a reminder to message you. PM incoming...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #42
Lerxst M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Or they could just send me a Dinan sticker to put on it. lol
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #43
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidysdad View Post
are there any dinah mods that are legal in california?
I assume you are referring specifically to tunes that are legal. Currently, the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is not emissions legal in California. However, it is currently undergoing CARB testing and we hope that will be completed in the not too distant future. We are confident that it will be receiving an EO label and thus be emissions legal in CA and wherever there may be similar laws. Unfortunately the CARB process is not a quick thing and the process typically takes between 6 months and a year.
You should ask a VW software engineer for assistance on emission testing. I hear they are ahead of the curve jk
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #44
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's sits a bit lower and is held by two screws.
Attached Images