M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

05-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

BMW F10 M5 winter tire and wheels recommendations

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum but I decided to join because this site is the single most useful place on the web to learn and discuss about BMWs.
Before I get started, I wanted to introduce myself and give little background information about my car preferences.

I'm currently 32 years old and all my cars in the past have been BMWs.
My first car as a 16 year old teenager was 1997 E39 528i.
Back then, I really wanted a M3 as my first car but my parents refused, with all the good intentions, and that is why I always have special feelings towards M cars even today.
Yes, I did get into couple accidents with my 5 series, so looking back, not having had M3 as a first car makes lot of sense.

Then my second BMW was 2004 E63 645Ci.
This is by far my favorite BMW that I have owned partly because of its well-balanced drivability, practicality, handling and reliability.
Seriously, for the 7 years that I owned this car, it never had any electrical nor mechanical failures what so ever.
I only had to bring in this car for routine maintenance and service!

My third and current BMW is 2007 E70 (3.0) X5.
This car also served me well over the years and, for a car this size, it drives extremely well.
I only had to bring this car in for minor problems but one thing I hate the most about this car is that you can't park or turn off the engine in neutral.
Yes, you can open up the compartment and use the special tool to put this car in neutral under emergency situation but this nevertheless is a hassle.

Now, as my fourth BMW, I just placed an European Delivery order in last week for 2013 F10 M5.
My specs are as follows:

MCB
Silverstone Full-Merino
Aluminum Trim
Executive Package
B & O
20" 343M Wheels

(total price = $94,755 not including destination, gas guzzler & other taxes)

I'm quite excited about this order because it would be my first time doing ED.
I've been to Germany many times for business and whenever I visited the BMW Welt, I always said to myself that I would do ED for my next BMW and finally get to ride that customer only elevator when picking up the vehicle there.

Anyways, I'm really sorry for the long introduction but I wanted to ask the enthusiasts on this forum what the best 20" winter tires would be for the new F10 M5. (please give specific brand/model numbers if you can)
To be frank, it snows a lot during winter where I live and I was hoping new M5 would have AWD option but it didn't happen this time around.
Also if you can provide any good websites or stores where I can buy those 20" winter tires, I would really appreciate your help.
Lastly, please try to give reasoning behind why you recommend that particular winter tires with pros/cons.
Thanks in advance and you guys really have an awesome community here!

Last edited by puffysheep; 05-27-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
perisak
Private
Rep
Drives: m550d

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffysheep
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum but I decided to join because this site is the single most useful place on the web to learn and discuss about BMWs.
Before I get started, I wanted to introduce myself and give little background information about my car preferences.

I'm currently 32 years old and all my cars in the past have been BMWs.
My first car as a 16 year old teenager was 1997 E39 528i.
Back then, I really wanted a M3 as my first car but my parents refused, with all the good intentions, and that is why I always have special feelings towards M cars even today.
Yes, I did get into couple accidents with my 5 series, so looking back, not having had M3 as a first car makes lot of sense.

Then my second BMW was 2004 E63 645Ci.
This is by far my favorite BMW that I have owned partly because of its well-balanced drivability, practicality, handling and reliability.
Seriously, for the 7 years that I owned this car, it never had any electrical nor mechanical failures what so ever.
I only had to bring in this car for routine maintenance and service!

My third and current BMW is 2007 E70 (3.0) X5.
This car also served me well over the years and, for a car this size, it drives extremely well.
I only had to bring this car in for minor problems but one thing I hate the most about this car is that you can't park or turn off the engine in neutral.
Yes, you can open up the compartment and use the special tool to put this car in neutral under emergency situation but this nevertheless is a hassle.

Now, as my fourth BMW, I just placed an European Delivery order in last week for 2013 F10 M5.
My specs are as follows:

MCB
Silverstone Full-Marino
Aluminum Trim
Executive Package
B & O
20" 343M Wheels

(total price = $94,755 not including destination, gas guzzler & other taxes)

I'm quite excited about this order because it would be my first time doing ED.
I've been to Germany many times for business and whenever I visited the BMW Welt, I always said to myself that I would do ED for my next BMW and finally get to ride that customer only elevator when picking up the vehicle there.

Anyways, I'm really sorry for the long introduction but I wanted to ask the enthusiasts on this forum what the best 20" winter tires would be for the new F10 M5. (please give specific brand/model numbers if you can)
To be frank, it snows a lot during winter where I live and I was hoping new M5 would have AWD option but it didn't happen this time around.
Also if you can provide any good websites or stores where I can buy those 20" winter tires, I would really appreciate your help.
Lastly, please try to give reasoning behind why you recommend that particular winter tires with pros/cons.
Pirelli Zottozero is a really good wintertyre. I have it om my car at wintertime.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisak View Post
Pirelli Zottozero is a really good wintertyre. I have it om my car at wintertime.
Plus 2 for the Sottozeros. I've run them on my V for the last two winters and they are a credible snow tire and very good on cold dry pavement. Just go easy with your right foot and you will do fine.

BTW, I strongly recommend mounting 19-inch wheels and tires for Winter. If you ever drive in snow, you will get substantially better traction.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...tyre_test.html

Top 4 ranking:

Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830P 91 H
Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2 94 V
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D (pre-production) 91 H
Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II 94 V

I have the Conti TS830P this past winter. Although not much snow in past winter, but definitely very quiet and very good traction.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you perisak, SleepTight and bobblehead!
I am leaning towards Pirelli Scottozero but are there any other suggestions?

I know BMW cooperated with the Michelin to design new tires specific for the M5 to compensate for the higher torque resulting from turbo engine and to give better grip even with a rear wheel drive configuration.
That is why the new M5 doesn't have the run flats as the stock tires...

I originally asked which winter tire would be the best for the F10 M5 because I was wondering if they also had some sort of special winter tires specific for the M5.
Once gain, thanks in advance for your inputs!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

+1 for Dunlop Sport SP's. They're the only one I have first hand experience with, but my 335 with xDrive wears these in the winter. Traction and control are top drawer!

I like the Tire Rack online store for this stuff. They can fix you up with wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
M3JHWK
Nutter
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Don't BMW have a dedicated winter set up for the M5? I know they did for the E60.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Of course it does. I suspect it will be around $4500 range for the factory set.

too early right now to say what wheel style will be offered as winter.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffysheep View Post
I just placed an European Delivery order in last week for 2013 F10 M5.
My specs are as follows:

MCB
Silverstone Full-Merino
Aluminum Trim
Executive Package
B & O
20" 343M Wheels

First off, great build! I just ordered the same car. Same color combination, same options, Euro Delivery program (I take delivery 9/1). Although I am rethinking the B&O system. I originally ordered it because nobody has heard it yet, and I figured it was better to get it and have it be OK then to not get it and have regrets. But I just read a review from a member who compared the B&O system live next to the base system at a dealer event. He said he could not tell the difference between the two and suggested people skip the upgrade. For $3,700 I want to hear the system blows you away.

Now, for you winter tire question. I've been running Bridgestone Blizzacks for the last few years on my E60 M5. They've been great. Good cold weather traction and handles the snow well. I've been running the front tire size at all four corners based on the recommendation of Luke at Tire Rack. The narrower rear tire size improves handling in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
First off, great build! I just ordered the same car. Same color combination, same options, Euro Delivery program (I take delivery 9/1). Although I am rethinking the B&O system. I originally ordered it because nobody has heard it yet, and I figured it was better to get it and have it be OK then to not get it and have regrets. But I just read a review from a member who compared the B&O system live next to the base system at a dealer event. He said he could not tell the difference between the two and suggested people skip the upgrade. For $3,700 I want to hear the system blows you away.

Now, for you winter tire question. I've been running Bridgestone Blizzacks for the last few years on my E60 M5. They've been great. Good cold weather traction and handles the snow well. I've been running the front tire size at all four corners based on the recommendation of Luke at Tire Rack. The narrower rear tire size improves handling in the snow.
LOL, I signed up for either 9/1 or 9/3 delivery date too!
We might actually run into each other on the pick up date and better yet, we may even see two M5s speced exactly the same.

BMWs generally have good basic sound system but I always had premium sound on my cars except for my X5.
Oh, boy have I regretted that decision for the past few years especially on a long distance roadtrips on highways.
Whenever I travel above 85 mph or above on my X5 and my sound volume increases accordingly, I can truly hear the difference between my X5 and other BMWs with premium sounds.

I am pretty sure BMW is not charging extra $3,700 for a sound system upgrade without a good reason.
I also read the post you mentioned about the B & O system on M5, but it's often hard to tell the difference in sound while the car is standing still.
To really hear the difference, I personally think the volume must be loud and car must be driven at fairly good speed.

Besides, I love the looks of the Aluminum speakers for B & O on the interior of M5.
I think they go perfectly well with the aluminum trim I selected.
To be really frank, if the B & O speakers were not aluminum, I would have choosen piano trim instead.

Oh also, thanks so much for the tire recommendation.
As bigsipt and bobblehead suggested, I am also going to find out what BMW stock winter tire is going to be and compare.
My dealer kind of hinted they were going to offer me the winter tire set at a discount since I am getting the new car from them, but I wanted to know if there were any good winter tires I should consider instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
AGS
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffysheep View Post
BMWs generally have good basic sound system but I always had premium sound on my cars except for my X5.
Oh, boy have I regretted that decision for the past few years especially on a long distance roadtrips on highways. Whenever I travel above 85 mph or above on my X5 and my sound volume increases accordingly, I can truly hear the difference between my X5 and other BMWs with premium sounds.
I have the Enhanced Premium Sound on my E60 M5, and it's a great system - or good enough for me at least! I'm sure you saw this in the other review, but the base US F10 M5's have the Professional Sound system that is an option everywhere else in the world. So I'm assuming the F10 base sound system is the equivalent of the Enhanced Premium Sound that was a $700 option in the E60 M5s. Given this, I'm still on the fence about whether the B&O system is worth the $3,700. If the other member who compared the two systems back-to-back had noticed a small improvement in sound quality, then that combined with the better looks of the B&O system would have put me over the top. But if the only benefit is the appearance of the B&O system vs. the base system, then $3,700 just feels like a steep price to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
phish_100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black F10M M5

Your 4th car ever is a brand new m5!! Lucky man. Lovely spec. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

2012 BMW winter wheels/tires catalogue

Download PDF: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1338512219

Page 20 for the F10 (incl. the M5)

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-05-31 at 5.55.13 PM.jpg
Views: 23774
Size:  202.8 KB
Attached Images
File Type: pdf diskyweb-f.PDF (4.94 MB, 5107 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post

Attachment 699909
Awesome! Thanks. What's TPC?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
CahoonTiffa
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thank you perisak, SleepTight and bobblehead!
      05-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
uofmiami
Rep
Drives: 2013 MB E63 w/PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
Awesome! Thanks. What's TPC?
Tire Pressure Control per footnote on the PDF page!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Do note that Tire Pressure Control may / may not be applicable to certain country setup.

For example, in North America, for the US cars, the TPC is inside the wheel whereas for the Canada cars, there is NO TPC inside the wheel as it uses indirect (Rotational monitoring) Tire Pressure Contril built within the ABS system.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do note that Tire Pressure Control may / may not be applicable to certain country setup.

For example, in North America, for the US cars, the TPC is inside the wheel whereas for the Canada cars, there is NO TPC inside the wheel as it uses indirect (Rotational monitoring) Tire Pressure Contril built within the ABS system.
I'm not familiar with the nomenclature. do U.S. cars even have "tyre pressure control?" We obviously have tire pressure monitoring sensors, but not sure about pressure control.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^ Probably that's how UK calls it.

NA we call the hood .. hood ... but UK calls it bonnet

UK calls tyre ... NA calls it "Damn piece of s*** RF"
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #20
puffysheep
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 699909
OMG! Thanks so much for this bobblehead!
You don't happen to have the price for these do you?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #21
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

For NA, pricing usually comes out around late Sep.

I would guess the only avail pkg for the M5 cost around $4000 in US; $4600 in Canada
Appreciate 0