M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #23
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Eibach US did say the springs are very similar to the ACS springs as they are done in conjunction. The main difference is just the spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
Im waiting. If the Eibach pro kit is consistent with its characteristics from the past as compared to H&R, it should be a comfortable option with slightly LESS of a drop than the H&R. I plan on running 21's and really want to see both options before making a decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Nope
Uggghhhhhh!
      12-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Eibach springs are still not done with testing as I called in Eibach US office for status report early Dec. They have no clue as to when Eibach Germany will sign off on the springs.
Im waiting. If the Eibach pro kit is consistent with its characteristics from the past as compared to H&R, it should be a comfortable option with slightly LESS of a drop than the H&R. I plan on running 21's and really want to see both options before making a decision.
There are supposedly 2 "styles" of the H&R. The "street" ones drop 1" in the back and .6" in the rear. I'm very happy with ride quality. I think the other style drops more, somebody?
Think I want spacers though.....
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
info@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

looking good =)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #27
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

looks great!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #28
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What's the opinion on spacers?

Will they change or effect the ride or steering?

Will change the look to be more aggressive, I think.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Looks great Barry. What EDC setting did you drive with before/after the spring install?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #30
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Eibach springs are still not done with testing as I called in Eibach US office for status report early Dec. They have no clue as to when Eibach Germany will sign off on the springs.
Thanks for this update. I too am still waiting for the Eibach's. I was also thinking about Hartge, but I think they are expensive just for the springs. Gonna wait and see what Eibach does. I had them on my E60 M5 and they were perfect. The H&R's on the E60 M5 were too stiff for me.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #31
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Thanks for this update. I too am still waiting for the Eibach's. I was also thinking about Hartge, but I think they are expensive just for the springs. Gonna wait and see what Eibach does. I had them on my E60 M5 and they were perfect. The H&R's on the E60 M5 were too stiff for me.
The H&Rs for F10 are supposed to be much better. You may want to consider them. I have my set still in the box, but others are saying good things about them.
      12-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes I too heard these are better ( nothing to compare to from before).
The ride is very good IMO ( Dave I may have the car down there in a couple of weeks and I can reciprocate the ride on Sun. Only quieter......
What I can say is MUCH less negative effect than increasing rim size like I did on my E60 and why I tried springs this time.

Chris I ride in sport/comfort/comfort for daily driving ie in the soft setting for steering and dampening for cruising.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #33
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

here's a question.... the shop I am going to said they had done several 550's but not an F10 M5. is the process the same?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #34
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
here's a question.... the shop I am going to said they had done several 550's but not an F10 M5. is the process the same?
Yes. Likely the interior trim is more delicate as the M5 comes standard with Alcantara

Write up from the H&R spring install at Turner Motorsports :

The install of these springs took approximately 6 hours. It involves removing all four coil over (spring and strut assemblies) from the vehicle. Each coil over plugs into the EDC system which makes the removal and install of the strut assemblies a bit tricky, especially in the rear where you need to access the top of the strut from under the rear deck tray. You must remove the rear speakers and some trim pieces to access the the EDC harness and the 3 bolts holding the strut.

The most difficult and time consuming part of doing the spring install is making sure there is ample room to remove the rear strut assemblies without damaging the EDC harness on the strut its self or anything around it like the electronic emergency brake. We found the best way to do this is to disconnect the rear sway bar, remove the rear caliper with electronic emergency brake and disconnect the rear control arms. This gives plenty of room to pull out the coilover strut out of the rear wheel well. Other than that the install is relatively straight forward, the front is basically just like most other BMWs.
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Yes I too heard these are better ( nothing to compare to from before).
The ride is very good IMO ( Dave I may have the car down there in a couple of weeks and I can reciprocate the ride on Sun. Only quieter......
What I can say is MUCH less negative effect than increasing rim size like I did on my E60 and why I tried springs this time.

Chris I ride in sport/comfort/comfort for daily driving ie in the soft setting for steering and dampening for cruising.
Thanks Barry. Trying to get an idea of how the ride has changed...I too use comfort/comfort for daily driving, and personally like the softer setup. I don't want to loose that option "too" much.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #36
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Yes. Likely the interior trim is more delicate as the M5 comes standard with Alcantara

Write up from the H&R spring install at Turner Motorsports :

The install of these springs took approximately 6 hours. It involves removing all four coil over (spring and strut assemblies) from the vehicle. Each coil over plugs into the EDC system which makes the removal and install of the strut assemblies a bit tricky, especially in the rear where you need to access the top of the strut from under the rear deck tray. You must remove the rear speakers and some trim pieces to access the the EDC harness and the 3 bolts holding the strut.

The most difficult and time consuming part of doing the spring install is making sure there is ample room to remove the rear strut assemblies without damaging the EDC harness on the strut its self or anything around it like the electronic emergency brake. We found the best way to do this is to disconnect the rear sway bar, remove the rear caliper with electronic emergency brake and disconnect the rear control arms. This gives plenty of room to pull out the coilover strut out of the rear wheel well. Other than that the install is relatively straight forward, the front is basically just like most other BMWs.
Hey I see that you have the Hartge springs installed for your F10 M5. Can you comment on them? How much did you pay for them also? Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #37
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

A pic would help also.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #38
jmh
United_States
Rep

Pics will follow tomorrow as it's been out of service today for another project....
Overall ride comfort is pretty similar to stock (slightly stiffer in Comfort but not hugely noticeable with 20" wheels, drove a F10 M5 with H&R and 21" wheels which felt much stiffer in comfort mode).
So far I have to admit the kits from H&R, AC Schnitzer and Hartge are very close in ride comfort.
Handling has not changed dramatically either , slightly less body roll .
If you stick with OEM wheels you might want to consider spacers to create a more flush finish (I am going to HRE wheels soon so didn't worry about spacers for a few days/week) , probably somewhere around 5mm-10mm should do for the rear and 5mm-8mm in the front , I am assuming another more than 10mm might be too aggressive and cause rubbing in the rear.
The Hartge springs retail for ~450 Euro in Germany (http://www.hartge.de/e/bmw_fahrwerk_6571.html)
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #39
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Pics will follow tomorrow as it's been out of service today for another project....
Overall ride comfort is pretty similar to stock (slightly stiffer in Comfort but not hugely noticeable with 20" wheels, drove a F10 M5 with H&R and 21" wheels which felt much stiffer in comfort mode).
So far I have to admit the kits from H&R, AC Schnitzer and Hartge are very close in ride comfort.
Handling has not changed dramatically either , slightly less body roll .
If you stick with OEM wheels you might want to consider spacers to create a more flush finish (I am going to HRE wheels soon so didn't worry about spacers for a few days/week) , probably somewhere around 5mm-10mm should do for the rear and 5mm-8mm in the front , I am assuming another more than 10mm might be too aggressive and cause rubbing in the rear.
The Hartge springs retail for ~450 Euro in Germany (http://www.hartge.de/e/bmw_fahrwerk_6571.html)
Cool, thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
jmh
United_States
Rep

Pictures of springs installed

Hi,

finally got around to take some pictures of the springs installed
Also have two pictures of the fitment / wheel gap with OEM wheels

Side View after springs installation

Rear OEM Wheel fitment with springs installation

Front OEM Wheel fitment with springs installed

and a teaser for folks ....

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

WOW. Car looks fantastic. Does that steering wheel retain the heating element?
2015 i3-REX

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #42
jmh
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poleposition View Post
WOW. Car looks fantastic. Does that steering wheel retain the heating element?
Thx!
No, it's the only option no longer functional. But that's true for all cars with the BMW Performance steering wheel. As it's Alcantara it won't be too bad in the morning
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Looks nice. I think you should donate your akra exhaust to the boots needs an akrapovic exhaust on his m5. Just saying...lol
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Turns put no lug nuts avail for spacers yet. Spoke to Ben at Rogue.
Have to wait for IND to get some.....
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0