DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Mine's a '13 with no LCI or CP (obviously)
My car burns oil but thank god it doesn't have this problem.
Sounds like a deal breaker.
      01-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #90
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
this seems to be a big problem for many BMW owners, of all series.. I can't believe there is no fix.?! sounds like a steering rack problem... is it possible that perhaps loose mountings or components in the steering set-up or a constantly moving part/engine is resting on the steering column and causing vibration?? does it happen when stationary? I'm clutching at straws here..
as the competition package included steering upgrades, has anyone felt these vibrations in a CP model, or LCI for that matter?
I have the LCI in the uk, NO problems at all.
      01-13-2014, 04:05 PM   #91
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Its a very mild vibration that causes your hands to go numb after long driving. Its really annoying. I wish they had a fix or a recall for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #92
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

I have a LCI CP... did two 3 hour drives this weekend and did not experience this (never have).; I am sorry to hear some are experiencing this.
      01-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #93
GarbageMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer10 View Post
No the 2014 does not have the tuning fork vibration issue . I test drove 5 different ones over the course of 2 weeks from different dealers. However, the bottom seat cushion no longer tilts up as high as the 2013 model year (important for taller drivers I am 6'2"). Unfortunately 1 positive and 1 negative = 0 for me regarding two of my most important comfort issues . I stopped all negotiating and will ????
I have a 14 with 400 miles on it. I just experienced it tonight, and remembered seeing this thread. I am not happy, but have no intent of taking it to those Cretans at the dealership, at least not yet... I'm blown away by the number of folks on the board with it, and we have no definitive answer.

Last edited by GarbageMan; 01-17-2014 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #94
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
It's consistent on the same roads for me almost all the time. One being the parts of the Westpark toll road... (@garbageman). With that said it must be something do with the right harmonics with rOad conditions shocks, springs steering ect. The few time I have not felt it on these road it could have been due to slight tire psi diff or something.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #95
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F13 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117 View Post
Did you have the red m3 at Suncoast with a few of your buddies almost two years ago? I had the silverstone m3 with the performance exhaust. I also upgraded to the m5. If this isn't you then there are more people in Sarasota with M's then I thought lol. Having the same vibration issue.
That's me!! I remember that. It was the performance exhaust vs. the stock modded and mine sounded louder hahahaha

The steering wheel vibration is bothering me most on the highway but luckily I rarely drive on the highway so it's not too big of a problem. I can feel the vibration is getting worse, which isn't a good sign.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #96
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
It's consistent on the same roads for me almost all the time. One being the parts of the Westpark toll road... (@garbageman). With that said it must be something do with the right harmonics with rOad conditions shocks, springs steering ect. The few time I have not felt it on these road it could have been due to slight tire psi diff or something.
That sounds more like tire vibration if it's happening in the same location every time. Certain grooved pavement and tire tread patterns can clash and cause vibration through the steering column as well. Is this only happening on concrete pavement (vs. asphalt/blacktop)?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #97
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
That sounds more like tire vibration if it's happening in the same location every time. Certain grooved pavement and tire tread patterns can clash and cause vibration through the steering column as well. Is this only happening on concrete pavement (vs. asphalt/blacktop)?
It's not tire vibration. It has absolutely nothing to do with alignment or anything with the tires. It's within the steering column. All dealerships tell you is it's "normal" but in reality I haven't experienced this in any other car. M3 had no such problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #98
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
two F10 M5's buckets of M3's - no vibration.

first car was 2013, second 2014.

I had a really bad vibration on the 2013 model on a road trip. The internal tyre sensor had snapped and was bouncing around in the tyre. dealer replaced it and problem solved.

Neil.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #99
M5LA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Alpine White - sold

I have the steering wheel vibration as well. To try to solve the problem, I re-balanced all 4 tires and got a 4-wheel alignment last month. The problem has not gone away. Beginning to wonder if it has to do with the HR springs and M&S spacers.

I took my car to the tire shop today and had them re-balanced the front wheels once more and re-adjusted the spacers and then tightened them. Seems to help. I will test it more thoroughly tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #100
bimmer-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330 e46 Vert, Bmw ind F10

Not to sure if this has already been mentioned..
But could the vibration not be linked to the drive assistant/lane departure/active security option if you had that put on the car

As that usually gives you a vibration when alerting you.. Maybe that is faulty

Just a thought

Malcolm X
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #101
M5LA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 M5 Alpine White - sold

Absolutely not. Well aware of those features and turned them off to experiment. Nothing to do them.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #102
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer-boy View Post
Not to sure if this has already been mentioned..
But could the vibration not be linked to the drive assistant/lane departure/active security option if you had that put on the car

As that usually gives you a vibration when alerting you.. Maybe that is faulty

Just a thought
Definitely not... I dont have any of those options.
Its a very subtle vibrations, but after driving for a long time, you can feel your hands starting to get numb. But again, the vibration is very very subtle. But super annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #103
ChrisNich117
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 Alpine White ZCP

Garage List
2009 e92 M3 coupe  [0.00]
2013 F10 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend
Quote:
Did you have the red m3 at Suncoast with a few of your buddies almost two years ago? I had the silverstone m3 with the performance exhaust. I also upgraded to the m5. If this isn't you then there are more people in Sarasota with M's then I thought lol. Having the same vibration issue.
That's me!! I remember that. It was the performance exhaust vs. the stock modded and mine sounded louder hahahaha

The steering wheel vibration is bothering me most on the highway but luckily I rarely drive on the highway so it's not too big of a problem. I can feel the vibration is getting worse, which isn't a good sign.
I've solved my issue by either not switching to m mode or not turning off m mode after it has been engaged. I haven't felt anything since. However, once you go from m mode back to your default settings then the problem starts again and you'll have to restart the car to set everything again. It's a pain in the ass but it works for now until there is a software update to fix this nonsense.

I also just did a turner muffler delete, sounds amazing! Pipes look sweet too. Your m3 did sound better. What a waste of 4500 bucks lol. Wasn't doing that again this time around.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #104
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

have any UK or RHD owners had this vibration? or are only the left hookers having the issue? I bet US roads are better than our shitty, uneven, pothole ridden surfaces.. perhaps that's the problem, here in the UK we're are just used to a nominal amount of wheel vibration in any car, due to crap roads. so basically we've had to 'man-up' and deal with it....?!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #105
UnfoundLegend
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNich117
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfoundLegend
Quote:

I've solved my issue by either not switching to m mode or not turning off m mode after it has been engaged. I haven't felt anything since. However, once you go from m mode back to your default settings then the problem starts again and you'll have to restart the car to set everything again. It's a pain in the ass but it works for now until there is a software update to fix this nonsense.

I also just did a turner muffler delete, sounds amazing! Pipes look sweet too. Your m3 did sound better. What a waste of 4500 bucks lol. Wasn't doing that again this time around.
The vibration I have isn't effected by the modes in the car at all. It doesn't matter what mode it's in it's always present in any configuration.

I just got valves installed for the same price I could have gotten Turner which is what I was looking at getting before, but I hear it's pretty loud to live with everyday. I want to hear it sometime. Valves are a bit louder but not worth what I paid for at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #106
Stiggly
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
I have a LCI CP... did two 3 hour drives this weekend and did not experience this (never have).; I am sorry to hear some are experiencing this.
Bet you feel a few sensations in that B1
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #107
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
have any UK or RHD owners had this vibration? or are only the left hookers having the issue? I bet US roads are better than our shitty, uneven, pothole ridden surfaces.. perhaps that's the problem, here in the UK we're are just used to a nominal amount of wheel vibration in any car, due to crap roads. so basically we've had to 'man-up' and deal with it....?!
two. m5s both pre LCI I and CP no issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #108
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

LCI Non CP and not there... I was worried I may have it but I made sure nothing there..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #109
sieyalater
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

i have about 8k miles on my car and still feel the steering wheel vibration when at 100+ miles braking. it only vibrates when i brake at high speed.

I haven't gotten it fixed yet cuz i have tried almost every solution but it hasn't been working. So i've gotten used to it, oh well. Plus I created this account in this forum to find a solution to fix it. But like I said nothing can be done..
09 Mercedes Benz S550
07 Porsche GT3RS, 07 Porsche 997 Turbo , 07 BMW M6
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:59 AM   #110
cnes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F10 M5, F13 M6, F80 M3

There was a solution to this I believe, i found after searching through forums. not sure which forum it was posted in.. other 5 series and 7 series had the issue as well. so its not just f10 m5s. had to do with replacing parts in the front. it was covered under BMW. problem was solved. can't remember the user of the top of my head. but here is his service pic..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0