Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Strange M5 spotted - infotainment

This past weekend I was driving south on NJ turnpike and came across a singapore grey M5. It had some special Michigan plates (strange because BMW factory cars here have Nj plates). What was special was the interior - the infotainment screen was floating above the dash (like the new 7 series, X5 etc). When I first passed him I caught this from the corner of the eye. Next time around i let him catch up and then peaked in again to confirm it was not some after market shop doing funky stuff. It seemed legit floating. I tried to snap a picture but the other driver sped up and couldn't take anything worth sharing. Rest of the car looked the same. Not sure if I liked the look of that screen. Ours looks much better IMO.

Could BMW be testing prototype? Why special Michigan plates?
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
This past weekend I was driving south on NJ turnpike and came across a singapore grey M5. It had some special Michigan plates (strange because BMW factory cars here have Nj plates). What was special was the interior - the infotainment screen was floating above the dash (like the new 7 series, X5 etc). When I first passed him I caught this from the corner of the eye. Next time around i let him catch up and then peaked in again to confirm it was not some after market shop doing funky stuff. It seemed legit floating. I tried to snap a picture but the other driver sped up and couldn't take anything worth sharing. Rest of the car looked the same. Not sure if I liked the look of that screen. Ours looks much better IMO.

Could BMW be testing prototype? Why special Michigan plates?
BMW Tech R&D centers are in Palo Alto and Chicago as far as I know. Chicago isnt that far from Michigan... So Maybe they also have a small admin office in MI that they register their test cars in? I know, really crappy theory but that really could be it.

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
DingolfingLove
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

oh dear - please don't tell me, it no longer had quad tail pipes and was a V6
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingolfingLove
oh dear - please don't tell me, it no longer had quad tail pipes and was a V6
Lol. It was all electric with no exhaust pipes! J/k

Looked like a regular F10 M5 with just a different infotainment system.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0