05-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Having owned the 2011 550i M Sport, and have the new LCI M5 on order for October.
I can say:
1/ YES it is stiffer
2/ Yes It is slightly wider
3/ On my 4 day test drive here in the UK, it averaged 25 MPG over 4 days and 510 miles.

Definitely stiffer.
Dont think it's wider.
If you're getting anything more than 17mpg, you're not driving the car as it should be driven.
2024 i4 M50 on order

IG @purpleM5Comp_NY
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #24
thhddd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

im glad i have 15mpg on my m5, because my previous Range Rover only got a stupid 12.3 mpg....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
cpdp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerpride05 View Post
Currently drive a 2011 550 and considering the upgrade to the 2014 M5. Had a few basic questions for the current M5 owners.

1. Is the chassis different/stiffer than the 550?

2. Are the fenders wider than the normal 5?

3. What type of real world gas mileage are you getting?

Thanks in advance!
1) Yes - structural rigidity is enhanced with braces, etc. suspension and power steering are dramatically Improved. this is hydraulic power steering. Transmission is basically the best in the world right now - much better than Porsche PDK.
2) Yes
3) If you need to ask you probably can't afford this car.
I don't wanna be a smartass or something but consider these points

-he just maybe doesn't wanna spoil the enviroment too much - the f10 has more power than the e60 and higher mpg
-there are people who drive very much with this car and at some point this can cost huge amounts of money
-asking questions is good, no one buys a car without informing, right?
- I guess you also checked the mpg before buying this beauty :P

just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdp
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerpride05 View Post
Currently drive a 2011 550 and considering the upgrade to the 2014 M5. Had a few basic questions for the current M5 owners.

1. Is the chassis different/stiffer than the 550?

2. Are the fenders wider than the normal 5?

3. What type of real world gas mileage are you getting?

Thanks in advance!
1) Yes - structural rigidity is enhanced with braces, etc. suspension and power steering are dramatically Improved. this is hydraulic power steering. Transmission is basically the best in the world right now - much better than Porsche PDK.
2) Yes
3) If you need to ask you probably can't afford this car.
I don't wanna be a smartass or something but consider these points

-he just maybe doesn't wanna spoil the enviroment too much - the f10 has more power than the e60 and higher mpg
-there are people who drive very much with this car and at some point this can cost huge amounts of money
-asking questions is good, no one buys a car without informing, right?
- I guess you also checked the mpg before buying this beauty :P

just my 2 cents
If you care about gas mileage, whether for the money or for your green credentials, you shouldn't be buying an EPA certified gas guzzler!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #27
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

I got 22.6 driving from boston to upstate ny driving 80-85 mph

I got 6.0 on the track going through a quarter tank every 30 minutes driving up to 150 mph

mpg is a state of mind. Enjoy the car the way you want to drive it. It's not a prius and you are grateful that is not every time you drive it
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
If you care about gas mileage, whether for the money or for your green credentials, you shouldn't be buying an EPA certified gas guzzler!
So you in your mind can't be 'frugal' some times and 'hard charging' at other times when the mood suits?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
So you in your mind can't be 'frugal' some times and 'hard charging' at other times when the mood suits?
First of all dont misstate what I said - you can do whatever you want.

But if you're being frugal in an M5 at $4 a gallon, then you're not saving much. It's like missing out on 50% of the fun, to save 5% on the total cost of ownership. The depreciation eclipses the fuel bill. Maybe not in the UK but definitely in the US. Now if you're a desperate individual you can do that, but I hold the belief that if you need to drive carefully to cut the cost of ownership by 5% then you may be better off buying something a little less expensive and enjoying it more.

This said, America is full of people driving cars they can't afford, so obviously the sensible logic I espouse is not widely followed here.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 05-12-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
First of all dont be a wanker - you can do whatever you want.

But if you're being frugal in an M5 at $4 a gallon, then you're not saving much. It's like missing out on 50% of the fun, to save 5% on the total cost of ownership. The depreciation eclipses the fuel bill. Maybe not in the UK but definitely in the US. Now if you're a desperate individual you can do that, but I hold the belief that if you need to drive carefully to cut the cost of ownership by 5% then you may be better off buying something a little less expensive and enjoying it more.

This said, America is full of people driving cars they can't afford, so obviously the sensible logic I espouse is not widely followed here.
My post wasn't about doing whatever you want. I was rolling eyes at the thought that there was only one way to drive a car.

Lease deals have never been so low. As owning a car has now become a 'monthly payment' not a long term save and buy type transaction. In the latter you saved and bought the car outright, running costs thereafter were inconsequential. As we have been 'conditioned' into a monthly cost, fuel can be a significant factor. Now to the historical buy outright type owner, nothing has really changed, he still drives the same type car......or does he?

.......but.......a power enthusiast can now buy something like an M3/M5/C63AMG, etc and providing they can keep the 5% you are talking about in check, can get to enjoy the full power on occasion, and the chassis, brakes, looks 100% of the time. No one buys one without understanding the fuel usage implications, but as an M5 uses less fuel than an e92 M3 you can see the attraction to upgrading.

To me it sounds like the OP is more concerned with the physical act of fuelling up, which I get, as I too hate a car with a small range. But yes an M5 should get you 400+ miles if driven on a motorway cruise.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Then he shouldn't be asking about mpg but about range. M5 blows away his 550 on range due to the significantly larger tank as I mentioned in my previous post.

As another datapoint, when I drive 770miles to Atlanta, I need 2 fuel stops in the M5 but 3 in my old 2012 550i.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
My post wasn't about doing whatever you want. I was rolling eyes at the thought that there was only one way to drive a car.

Lease deals have never been so low. As owning a car has now become a 'monthly payment' not a long term save and buy type transaction. In the latter you saved and bought the car outright, running costs thereafter were inconsequential. As we have been 'conditioned' into a monthly cost, fuel can be a significant factor. Now to the historical buy outright type owner, nothing has really changed, he still drives the same type car......or does he?

.......but.......a power enthusiast can now buy something like an M3/M5/C63AMG, etc and providing they can keep the 5% you are talking about in check, can get to enjoy the full power on occasion, and the chassis, brakes, looks 100% of the time. No one buys one without understanding the fuel usage implications, but as an M5 uses less fuel than an e92 M3 you can see the attraction to upgrading.

To me it sounds like the OP is more concerned with the physical act of fuelling up, which I get, as I too hate a car with a small range. But yes an M5 should get you 400+ miles if driven on a motorway cruise.
Very politely put under the circumstances.
I agree with what you say, I can afford the fuel, but do not enjoy putting it in on a too regular basis.
Being in a position to boot it, and cruise it suits me.
I am a Cash buyer also, not a lease monkey.
      05-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

Wanker? Nice. What about a Prius TRD edition?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #34
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

I have yet to hit 300 miles on a full tank. and I'm damn proud of it. it is nice to not have to stop every 4 days for gas like in the m3 though.

Appreciate 0