M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #45
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Yup no noticeable oil consumption after 5000mls
Maybe it's because we went over the Grossglockner and other alp passes
jmh, I think you may be on to something. During my ED, Grossglockner pass was one of the Alps passes I went through. Although I had kept a quart of BMW 0W-40 oil that I bought at the BMW Weld anticipating to receive some warning/notice by the car to top off the oil (per postings in this forum), that never happened up to the time I had to leave the car in Nice (odometer reading was 2200 miles) for shipment to the U.S. to the Performance Center in Greenville SC.

I did not have the break-in service done in Europe so I am sure, BMW did it upon receipt of the car in the U.S where probably they did an oil change. I took delivery of the car in SC in December and have been driving the car ever since. So far, I have 3500 miles on it and have not had any notice to add any oil. I think it is because I went through the Grossglockner pass, what do you guys think, he he?

It would be nice to hear from other people who did ED and passed through Grossglockner and have not had any notice to add oil.
      04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #46
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

It's not as much as the specific alp pass you drive
However the best break in is to use varying RPMs and lots of pull/push for the engine (ie up / down of mountains) as it will force oil to be pushed/sucked into the cylinders etc
On my ED I did 1200mls and only ~200mls have been on highways. All other driving was done
on backroads and mountain passes
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #47
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
However the best break in is to use varying RPMs and lots of pull/push for the engine (ie up / down of mountains) as it will force oil to be pushed/sucked into the cylinders etc
On my ED I did 1200mls and only ~200mls have been on highways. All other driving was done
Agree 100%. Once all fluids were at normal operating temps I did not baby the car during break-in. But I didnt abuse it either. Quick runs up to high revs and lots of full throttle in 7th gear at 1K rpm. It is also a great way to bed in the rings. Not as much fun as mountain passes though! lol
I have had to put two liters of oil in the car in 7,000 miles, plus the 1200 mile service; (but I checked and the oil level was still full just before that).
Bish
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #48
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Why do some people take the time to post on a board for another car when they not only don't have the car but don't even have accurate information? I don't own an M5 but I am not going around posting information without first hand info going by what some SA said.

Totally unhelpful and possibly hurtful to offer crap advice that can damage the engine
Well, since I too am a fellow enthusiast (I too drive an ///M) and I heard it from a certified BMW Service Dept employee, I wanted to try to help out the OP from what I had heard. I posted what I was told by a BMW Service Dept employee that works with BMW's everyday. I didn't know about the update in oil until I was informed by the OP in which I retracted my statement/advice.

You can see my reply after he informed me of it in which next time I take my M3 to that dealership I will be sure not to take it to that service advisor. Just trying to help a fellow member out.

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #49
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@StrasseForged View Post
Well, since I too am a fellow enthusiast (I too drive an ///M) and I heard it from a certified BMW Service Dept employee, I wanted to try to help out the OP from what I had heard. I posted what I was told by a BMW Service Dept employee that works with BMW's everyday. I didn't know about the update in oil until I was informed by the OP in which I retracted my statement/advice.

You can see my reply after he informed me of it in which next time I take my M3 to that dealership I will be sure not to take it to that service advisor. Just trying to help a fellow member out.
Rob,
Your mistake in quoting a BMW SA was completely understandable. So many of them still don't get the fact that the F10 M5 doesn't use 10w-60.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #50
Ak3249
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F12 M6 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Rob,
Your mistake in quoting a BMW SA was completely understandable. So many of them still don't get the fact that the F10 M5 doesn't use 10w-60.
+1 Idk why that guy got so angry about it?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #51
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Reposting my response to another thread about F10 M5 eating through oil.. break-in has everything to do with your M's eating habits.. You either follow break-in procedure very strictly, or you are not following it at all. Full throttle even under break-in RPM limit is detrimental to not just performance but to the amount of oil the car will eat through.

To anyone who has yet to take delivery or break-in their car.. I would suggest you read the following:

I have owned many M's and AMG's, as well as some P's. All have something very important in common: following a proper break-in procedure.

It's important to remember that break-in means a lot to these high performance cars. Also, do not forget that you aren't just breaking in your engine.. you are also breaking in your DCT, M Differential, and other components. Follow the BMW recommended break-in procedure and be very strict about it. Remember to always vary your engine speed (and thus vehicle speed), and try to never maintain a specific speed/rpm for very long.

After you complete the required 1,200mi recommended break-in service, it's important to not let loose as you roll out of the service bay. You should slowly progress the car to higher and higher RPM limits. I recommend doing so over a 1,000 mile period, and following a post break-in schedule such as the one I use below:

1,000mi (Minimum) Post Break-In Procedure
Requirements: 105mph maximum speed, vary engine speed, no full throttle use, must limit rpm to 3,400rpm when below normal engine operating temperature.
+300mi: rev's kept under 5,500rpm
+250mi: rev's kept under 6,000rpm
+200mi: rev's kept under 6,500rpm
+250mi: rev's kept between 6,500-7,000rpm (progress rpm throughout period)
** At 2,200mi: First time you may start getting more aggressive with the car (full throttle use). Avoid shifts at maximum engine speed and avoid speeds above 140mph for another 900 miles.
** At 3,100mi: Consider your car fully broken in, and done so under the best possible conditions. Enjoy.

The critical point here (at ~1,200mi) is to not unleash the car immediately after the recommended break-in period and service. You don't have to follow the above schedule to do this, but its a good general guide to follow.. and I would highly recommend doing so. In addition, once you reach 2,200 miles, use caution (read above) for the next 900 miles (until you reach 3,100mi).

Additional Service Note: HIGHLY recommend that you perform an oil and oil filter change at 2,200 miles. You could count on their being at least some additional metal shavings 1,000 miles after the initial break-in service. I would also consider another oil change (can reuse oil filter this time) once you reach 3,100 miles (optional at your discretion). At this mileage mark, your M5 is considered fully broken in.

Related Components Break-In Period
- Clutch: 300 Miles. Then friction of the clutch achieves optimum potential.
- Tires: 200 Miles. Then achieves full traction potential.. use caution prior to.
- Brakes: 300 Miles. Follow proper bedding in procedure by reading this post. This will prevent brake noises (squeal) and maximize brake rotor and pad life.

I followed this break-in protocol with all my cars (3 E60's + many others) and I usually add oil every 6,000-7,000mi (minimum).

The first 2,200 miles (1,200 break-in plus 1,000 post break-in) sets the car up for the rest of it's life and sets its eating habits.

Break-in procedures are VERY controversial. Choose your method. Personally, the above works great for me every time.
      04-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #52
toppim5
toppim5
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

toppim5

My M5 has not burnt a drop of oil since 2000K's. I used Castrol 0W-40 to top up when it burnt oil for first 2000. (Approx 3Lt.) I also open Bonnet at end of every drive to help cool engine quicker. Don't know if this is reason for no oil burning, it's worked for me. My car has done 8000K's. Since it stopped burning oil have noticed no black on my exhaust tips to clean. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #53
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Shelby GT350

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@StrasseForged View Post
Never mind LOL I was just picking up some oil (for the same reason) for my E92 M3 and the SA told me "All ///M's take Castrol 10W-60 oil!!!". That shows how some SA's don't know it all!
Yes some SA's are morons... Not this guy though!
      05-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #54
crazy08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Might the oil itself have something do with it? Does it burn more oil when you put in 5W30 and less if you put in 0W40?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #55
mpresiv5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

i've clocked 10k miles and went to the dealer 4 times for an oil change.

Beware some dealers do not top off the oil. I would physically watch them add the oil.
Do they not check the oil setting meter? I swear, there are only a handful of services advisors who know what an F10 M5 is and what it requires. One idiot was like oh, what year is it? Is it still in warranty? Oh, you have to pay for oil or you are the first person I heard have this problem. This is exactly what I heard today, when I went to my 'non-usual' bmw dealer for service. How high can the learning curve be to learn about an M5?

They should have an elite service team for M owners only; just like going to a first class lounge. Luckily, my service adviser at the dealer I go to most of the time is pretty seasoned with M vehicles.
      05-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #56
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

You can use a thicker viscosity oil in warmer climates such as Lubri-Moly 0-40W or whatever else is on the oil chart approved by BMW.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #57
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresiv5
i've clocked 10k miles and went to the dealer 4 times for an oil change.

Beware some dealers do not top off the oil. I would physically watch them add the oil.
Do they not check the oil setting meter? I swear, there are only a handful of services advisors who know what an F10 M5 is and what it requires. One idiot was like oh, what year is it? Is it still in warranty? Oh, you have to pay for oil or you are the first person I heard have this problem. This is exactly what I heard today, when I went to my 'non-usual' bmw dealer for service. How high can the learning curve be to learn about an M5?

They should have an elite service team for M owners only; just like going to a first class lounge. Luckily, my service adviser at the dealer I go to most of the time is pretty seasoned with M vehicles.
They actually do have M technicians/mechanics. Which they have to take training classes on M cars. A normal 5er mechanic can't work on an M5 unless he is certified to do so. I bet some dealers just don't follow this rule.
      05-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #58
bm5bullit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy08 View Post
Might the oil itself have something do with it? Does it burn more oil when you put in 5W30 and less if you put in 0W40?
Has always helped when I have done this in the past.
2020 Chev. ZR2 Bison truck, Daily Driver
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #59
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Perhaps BMW didn't use a torque plate when honing the cylinders?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #60
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I follow my own break-in procedure based off BMW's but not the same. I've done this on all my E60's (06, 08, '10) and now my '13 M5.

At my break-in service with 1,100 miles on the ODO, I had the iDrive oil meter in the middle between max and min.

Now at 1,900 miles on the ODO (800 miles later), my M5 has not consumed any oil at all.

In all my E60's I consumed oil at a rate of approx 7,000mi/1qt. I seem to be on track for the same consumption rate for my F10 M5.

BMW at the factory puts 5W-30 in our M5's. At break-in service, I had the mechanic put in German Castrol 0W-30. The car warms up quicker and runs a bit smoother.

I sent my break-in 5W-30 oil sample to BlackStone and got an analysis report back. I plan on sending my end of break-in 0W-30 oil to BlackStone so I can compare the numbers. If anyone has an initial break-in (1,200mi) BlackStone report and wants to compare them, PM me.

If anyone is wondering, I don't finish break-in at 1,200..
Initial Break-In: 1,200mi
End of Break-In: 3,000mi
      06-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #61
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toppim5 View Post
My M5 has not burnt a drop of oil since 2000K's. I used Castrol 0W-40 to top up when it burnt oil for first 2000. (Approx 3Lt.) I also open Bonnet at end of every drive to help cool engine quicker. Don't know if this is reason for no oil burning, it's worked for me. My car has done 8000K's. Since it stopped burning oil have noticed no black on my exhaust tips to clean. Good luck.

Last edited by johnsama86; 06-15-2013 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #62
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Perhaps BMW didn't use a torque plate when honing the cylinders?
WHAT!!!!
      06-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #63
johnsama86
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19" G05 40i

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I don't know. But my rate of usage is 1 quart per 16,000 miles. Don't know why it is low but it has been like that on two 4.4l twin turbo V8s from BMW now.

I have been using factory oil too.

I thought it might be benefit of living in a warm climate, but JMH lives in New Hampshire and also has equally low usage.
By factory oil, do you mean 5w-30? I just did my first fill today
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #64
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
This is exactly right. I think the push pull dynamic helps a lot. In the past two years I have broken in both the S63TU in the M5 and the N63 in the 550i and with neither engine have I had any oil consumption issues. In addition to 2000 miles of alpine driving following break-in procedure, I also have been rigorous about not revving the engine until it is at operating temperature.

Pro-rated my consumption on the m5 would be one quart per 18,000 miles which is where it ought to be. On the N63 550i I had no consumption at all.

I remember reading threads on here by people who said they planned a break-in procedure of baptism by fire. i.e. gunning the engine out of the box. It's not surprising that this results in oil consumption issues later.

BTW I do think that for those of you who are impatient about letting the engine warm - make the switch to Castrol Edge 0W-30. This significantly reduces warm-up time compared with BMW 5W-30. And the Castrol oil I mention is BMW approved.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #65
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is exactly right. I think the push pull dynamic helps a lot. In the past two years I have broken in both the S63TU in the M5 and the N63 in the 550i and with neither engine have I had any oil consumption issues. In addition to 2000 miles of alpine driving following break-in procedure, I also have been rigorous about not revving the engine until it is at operating temperature.

Pro-rated my consumption on the m5 would be one quart per 18,000 miles which is where it ought to be. On the N63 550i I had no consumption at all.

I remember reading threads on here by people who said they planned a break-in procedure of baptism by fire. i.e. gunning the engine out of the box. It's not surprising that this results in oil consumption issues later.

BTW I do think that for those of you who are impatient about letting the engine warm - make the switch to Castrol Edge 0W-30. This significantly reduces warm-up time compared with BMW 5W-30. And the Castrol oil I mention is BMW approved.
I believe in the 'push/pull' phenomenon also and accomplish it by placing the car in 7th gear at the lowest safe RPMs and then flooring the throttle. I also varied the RPMs greatly after the initial 300 miles. Once the oil temp was fine I also would transiently run the RPMS up occasionally.
At first I thought my car wasn't gong to use any oil as it was fine until the 1200 mile service and even after for a while. At 9K miles however it has been asking for a litre about every 1500 miles since the initial service. Runs great though so I'm not too bothered. My E60 M5 never used oil at all, and I ran that car hard.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #66
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
I believe in the 'push/pull' phenomenon also and accomplish it by placing the car in 7th gear at the lowest safe RPMs and then flooring the throttle. I also varied the RPMs greatly after the initial 300 miles. Once the oil temp was fine I also would transiently run the RPMS up occasionally.
At first I thought my car wasn't gong to use any oil as it was fine until the 1200 mile service and even after for a while. At 9K miles however it has been asking for a litre about every 1500 miles since the initial service. Runs great though so I'm not too bothered. My E60 M5 never used oil at all, and I ran that car hard.
Bish
Interesting.

What's your take on 0W-30?
Appreciate 0