BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
TopEnd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Lets talk Injectors

I had my car parked up for a month on low gas. It wasn't my intent to keep it parked for so long, but it just happened. A few weeks back i started it, let it run for a few minutes and calmly drove it to the gas station. I get on the highway and cruise for about about 3 miles. Then i gave it a press (Keep in mind im running JB4 on map 2). The car threw a DTML and JB4 reported misfire codes for injector 6 and the car went in limp mode. (OF course my car is out of warranty), I restart the car and it was fine. I cruise back home and park the car for about a week, almost forgetting about this.

The next weekend, I start the car and its immediately in limp mode. JB4 is reporting 140010 140610 140001 140601 and snap-on is also pulling codes for cylinder 6. I changed my plugs (2 step colder NGK gaped to .020) and swapped coils from 5 to 6. The code stayed with Cylinder 6. So on to the next.....INJECTOR....

So now I'm doing tons and tons of research on this injector, and I'm hearing tons of crazy stories about them in the N63, S63, S63TU. Some people are lucky to have one replaced with no additional issues, some need more than one replaced, some need a new DME, some need a whole motor replaced due to the stuck injector causing oil from the piston ring to be washed off. I've also seen alot of failed injector on stock cars, which leads me to believe that this a design flaw and BMW royally screwed us with this one.

Here's where I need help. I know there is a redesigned fuel injector, is it ok for me to replace just cylinder 6? Has anyone ever replaced an fuel injector on their own? I was able to release the fuel line on injector 5+6 and remove the retaining plate. However it seems as though i need a special tool to pull up the fuel injector. Any thoughts, advice or input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Sub'd.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

N63/S63 injectors are not the same as S63TU injectors, you can verify this on www.realoem.com. As for your misfire, what mods do you have to justify running two steps colder plugs? NGK says one step colder for every 75hp added above stock, so JB4 alone should only be one step colder at most.

Injector 6 shouldn't be hard to reach for a swap with another injector just for the sake of trying it. I know there's gaskets around the tip of the injector, yada yada...try swapping it for an hour or so and see what happens. They can be a bitch to pull out, but they're not hard to do once you see how to get that first one out and the intimidation of pulling an injector leaves your mind, then it's easy from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
TopEnd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
N63/S63 injectors are not the same as S63TU injectors, you can verify this on www.realoem.com. As for your misfire, what mods do you have to justify running two steps colder plugs? NGK says one step colder for every 75hp added above stock, so JB4 alone should only be one step colder at most.

Injector 6 shouldn't be hard to reach for a swap with another injector just for the sake of trying it. I know there's gaskets around the tip of the injector, yada yada...try swapping it for an hour or so and see what happens. They can be a bitch to pull out, but they're not hard to do once you see how to get that first one out and the intimidation of pulling an injector leaves your mind, then it's easy from there.
Thanks for that reply.
Understood that all the injectors are different. I was referencing the fact that all the v8TT injectors cause similar issues, based on my lil forum readings. MOds: JB4+ BCM, INtakes, downpipes,and BMS MEth(still in box which was just purchased before these issues). In terms of removal, i got to the point where I got to the fuel injectors, I just could not take it out, i was able to get it to rotate a little, but that was it. Also the individual fuel lines were literally right above the injector, so i had to carefully and slowly bend those out of place.

Have you ever removed the injectors? Im just looking for any tips, it seems like the correct way would be to remove the complete left side engine harness, and then to remove the complete fuel rail (5-8 cyl).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

There are videos on YouTube as to how to remove the injectors on N54 engines, which are the same injectors used on the S63...while yours are different, I'm guessing the technique is the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #6
TopEnd
Private First Class
Rep

n54 looks very similar to s63. not s63tu
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

That's what I've said since my first post. S63TU's also had an issue with metal particles in their fuel system, but I don't recall why or how long ago that was.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
BPM
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / M5 / Turbo 7

You need to check which injectors you have as there are two different types - and only replace with the compatible version that you have now.

Also, there are special tools for removal and installation. If you exceed a certain amount of torque during removal, you're not supposed to reinstall that injector again. If you're just removing and replacing, the removal torque isn't an issue.

Finally make sure that you have the injector calibration programmed to the DME for proper flow rate compensation.

Have definitely seen a number of injector issues particularly on the earlier models. Fortunately nothing like the N55 and N54's, this is a weekly occurrence at the shop. Have seen N54s with 6 HPFP replacements since new on bone stock cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
TopEnd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
You need to check which injectors you have as there are two different types - and only replace with the compatible version that you have now.

Also, there are special tools for removal and installation. If you exceed a certain amount of torque during removal, you're not supposed to reinstall that injector again. If you're just removing and replacing, the removal torque isn't an issue.

Finally make sure that you have the injector calibration programmed to the DME for proper flow rate compensation.

Have definitely seen a number of injector issues particularly on the earlier models. Fortunately nothing like the N55 and N54's, this is a weekly occurrence at the shop. Have seen N54s with 6 HPFP replacements since new on bone stock cars.
Many thanks for the feedback. i'm assuming INPA will handle the callibration. correct?

Also, i'm assuming i wont be able to tell which in injector i have until i pull it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #10
nismonian
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

An injector failed on my '14 M5 back in October during the wannagofast 1/2 mile in FL. During 2nd run in 4th gear car fell off the power band and went into limp mode and got a CEL, limped it back to the pits and had to get it towed to the dealership. Ended up being a stuck injector and got all 4 replaced on that side of the bank along with the catalytic converter (under warranty). car is stock, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
TopEnd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismonian View Post
An injector failed on my '14 M5 back in October during the wannagofast 1/2 mile in FL. During 2nd run in 4th gear car fell off the power band and went into limp mode and got a CEL, limped it back to the pits and had to get it towed to the dealership. Ended up being a stuck injector and got all 4 replaced on that side of the bank along with the catalytic converter (under warranty). car is stock, BTW.

how many miles did you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #12
nismonian
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopEnd View Post
how many miles did you have?
27k.
Appreciate 0