Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
EXACTLY!!!

I think I have already proved this as well. I can definitely hear that flat-plane type exhaust note with my unique exhaust design. When I put catless downpipes in soon, in combination with my muffler deleted exhaust system should further illustrate this point. My F10 M5 sounds nothing like an AMG.
Your car sounds sick. And I bet even sicker in person...

No one would mistake that for a AMG, Corvette, Mustang etc.

And what I posted previously, Eisenmann makes AMG exhausts (but I said it first LOL )
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #134
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I can see the other forums saying, "the M5 boys are butt hurt due to__."
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #135
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
+2

Porsche does rape you on everything. Their leather isn't even that great compared to the Nappa leather that BMW has.
News flash. BMW is not Porsche. Why would you say this???????
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #136
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Your car sounds sick. And I bet even sicker in person...

No one would mistake that for a AMG, Corvette, Mustang etc.

And what I posted previously, Eisenmann makes AMG exhausts (but I said it first LOL )
Thanks bro! Several post members have heard my M5 before and can atest to how unique it sounds. I sure do love it too!

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #137
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
News flash. BMW is not Porsche. Why would you say this???????
I don't understand your post?

I was just reinforcing Boss330's point.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #138
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
Has anyone looked at the Porsche option sheet for the 991 S? They charge you a fortune for everything. There is even an exhaust option. And BMW didn't charge more for the DCT. They could have charged $5K.

I think all this complaining is a joke. If you want an exhaust buy one. No one is forcing you to. If you want one but can't afford it tough shit.
Making a comparison to Porsche, who has the most absurdly expensive options in the auto industry, does not make BMW look any better. The complaints are because this is an M part and should have been included on an M car, specially given the price of the M5/6. It's not about whether you can afford it. It's about a company milking their customers by giving them an inferior product up front when it is supposed to be their top of the line product, and then charging to really make it top of the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #139
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
Making a comparison to Porsche, who has the most absurdly expensive options in the auto industry, does not make BMW look any better. The complaints are because this is an M part and should have been included on an M car, specially given the price of the M5/6. It's not about whether you can afford it. It's about a company milking their customers by giving them an inferior product up front when it is supposed to be their top of the line product, and then charging to really make it top of the line.
this member gets it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #140
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Indeed.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #141
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

It's interesting how the M5 now suddenly has become an "inferior product" just beacuse BMW has released a performance exhaust...

So if they release a ///M front splitter, then the original front bumper was an inferior product?

Other manufacturers also has "Performance Products" available for that small percentage of buyers who want a more hardcore car. AMG's Black Series models doesn't make the std AMG models an inferior product does it?

I find it odd that the release of a performance product that is only interesting for a small part of the M5 owners could create such criticism of the original product...

On a different note, there has been talk in the EU for a number of years of how the manufacturers are exploiting the loophole in noise legislation (under certain vehicle conditions in the test procedure there is no noise requirement). If the manufacturers are going to far on noise, the legislators in EU will come crushing down on that and impose stricter legislation closing such loopholes as the valved exhaust systems really are. Much like the voluntary 250km/h speed limit. Most cars will have the speed limit from the factory, thereby appeasing public opinion and politicians. A few will pay the extra money for the competition package, but officially the M5 has a 250 limit.

Same thing with the noise/exhaust is my guess. As a major manufacturer BMW has many considerations to take, including public opinion and not least political considerations.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #142
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

That's it. 14 LCI with 60,000 in options ordered. P1 to local Cracker Barrel is on the cards!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #143
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Does the Eisenmann Race sound anything like this ?.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #144
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
I disagree. For some these "performance" exhausts are too aggressive sounding. I think there should be a well rounded choice that will be fine for most owners and the few that want to switch it up should be lucky enough to have choices available.

I criticize Porsche for their nickel and dining on the option sheet, HOWEVER they give the customer the choice to build their car however they want. BMW bundles too much now. I like a la carte!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #145
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13/F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I think all this complaining is a joke. If you want an exhaust buy one. No one is forcing you to. If you want one but can't afford it tough shit.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #146
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I don't understand. It's effectively an after-market exhaust. An Akrapovic to be exact. If M cars are supposed to have the best of everything when you buy them, why do so many M owners do any mods at all? Seems like the exhaust is one of the first thing people upgrade. And not just for BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #147
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Michael View Post
I guess I don't understand. It's effectively an after-market exhaust. An Akrapovic to be exact. If M cars are supposed to have the best of everything when you buy them, why do so many M owners do any mods at all? Seems like the exhaust is one of the first thing people upgrade. And not just for BMWs.
There's always room for improvment!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #148
///Michael
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
There's always room for improvment!
That's my point. I don't understand the bellyaching about having to pay for what is effectively an after-market exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #149
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Oh yeah, and the 19" wheel option is inferior too. How dare BMW offer a 20" option at additional cost. Ceramic brakes? LOL.

IMO what is going on here is that in the past BMW offered everything for the purchase price. There weren't any upgrades. Everyone assumes that the very best is engineered into the cars, no margin for improvement. You wanted "performance" parts you went aftermarket which many argue goes against the M philosophy...it is perfect off the showroom floor. Fast forward and M is releasing performance parts at a cost (already a practice on the E9X M3). So, if you have a ///M car, you don't have the pinnacle of BMW engineering unless you pony up more cash. I'll argue that in the past, you didn't have the best engineering as there are compromises (noise, tire clearances, emissions regulations, etc.). This move acknowledges there is room for improvement. Through deduction, that also means the M5 without performance additions is mainstream, not the halo brand it once was. Times change...market forces. Maybe it is time for a "Black Series" M.

I love capitalism and this drives competition. If BMW, M specifically, can get incremental revenue from their customers fantastic. If they offered a M-version of a "Black Series", I'd consider it. On the tuning side, they will need to stay one step ahead of the game to do better than BMW. Does anyone really think Joe average customer is going to know that this exhaust is made by Akrapovic? Hell no. If Akra is going to sell aftermarket on the F10 now (to enthusiasts who know the M performance exhaust is OEM Akra), it will need to be "better"; be it less costly, better sound, performance, etc. And that is a win.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #150
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
Oh yeah, and the 19" wheel option is inferior too. How dare BMW offer a 20" option at additional cost. Ceramic brakes? LOL.

IMO what is going on here is that in the past BMW offered everything for the purchase price. There weren't any upgrades. Everyone assumes that the very best is engineered into the cars, no margin for improvement. You wanted "performance" parts you went aftermarket which many argue goes against the M philosophy...it is perfect off the showroom floor. Fast forward and M is releasing performance parts at a cost (already a practice on the E9X M3). So, if you have a ///M car, you don't have the pinnacle of BMW engineering unless you pony up more cash. I'll argue that in the past, you didn't have the best engineering as there are compromises (noise, tire clearances, emissions regulations, etc.). This move acknowledges there is room for improvement. Through deduction, that also means the M5 without performance additions is mainstream, not the halo brand it once was. Times change...market forces. Maybe it is time for a "Black Series" M.

I love capitalism and this drives competition. If BMW, M specifically, can get incremental revenue from their customers fantastic. If they offered a M-version of a "Black Series", I'd consider it. On the tuning side, they will need to stay one step ahead of the game to do better than BMW. Does anyone really think Joe average customer is going to know that this exhaust is made by Akrapovic? Hell no. If Akra is going to sell aftermarket on the F10 now (to enthusiasts who know the M performance exhaust is OEM Akra), it will need to be "better"; be it less costly, better sound, performance, etc. And that is a win.
^^
What he said. Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #151
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

+1 to all of that
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #152
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

What you guys need is a Summit racing catalog exhaust. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #153
UniqueCheese
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Was: F10 M5, Now: Ford F150

For me, this isn't a race-car. It's a comfortable car with a lot of the toys I want from a modern car, and more than enough power that I can mash the lol pedal and really go, when I want to. I live just outside a city center in what we call in England a semi-detached house - I share walls with neighbors. I leave for work around 6:00 in the morning, while those people are still in bed, and I have to roll through residential areas. I don't want the car to sound like an AMG, or a prancing horse ALL THE TIME. That said, when it gets going some audible hint that the engine is doing something is good, in order to avoid piling in to corners still doing 120. That's what the Active Sound is for.

My car, when it arrives in June, will not be Monte Carlo Blue or Frozen Black or Sakhir Orange. It won't be badged M5 on the back. It won't disturb my neighbors any more than it needs to - it's German engineering, in an understated British manner. I won't be buying the performance exhaust, because it doesn't build the car I'm after. It's all down to what you want to achieve and whether you want to modify your car, and as I see it this is just another aftermarket exhaust system for the list of choises. Buy it or don't, but don't whine that the option exists if you were going to buy an aftermarket exhaust anyway. You haven't lost choices, you've gained one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #154
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Well said my friend.

Maybe it's also time for an ///M Supercar. Something to rival the Audi R8. They can call it the ///M8!

As an enthusiast, all this Competition Package stuff and ///M Performance Exhaust is good for the average consumer, but means little to someone like me who knows that there are a certain number of people who are going to modify their ///M no matter if there's a Competition Package, or ///M Performance Exhaust on it or not.

An enthusiast like me knows that there are people who are going to buy an LCI 2014 F10 M5 and order it with all of the options possible for a whopping $130,000+, and still put H&R lowering springs on it (which will negate the improved suspension), put Brembo big brake kits on it (even though they already had the ///M Carbon Ceramic Brakes on it), put an Eisenmann Race exhaust on it (even though it already has the ///M Performance Exhaust aka Akrapovic on it), and then turn around and sell it 6 months later.

Besides, all of these little things that BMW is doing to upsell the M5 are almost irrelevant because they still haven't improved the one thing that really matters. Reduction in weight.

Appreciate 0