Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Question Is it possible to make an "M5 X-Drive?"

I'm trying to get as much information together for an engine swap on my E90 Sedan (like what Hartge did). I want to make my build as original as possible though - [possible build done by TurnerMotorSports]
I have a huge list of ideas in mind but my main question is it possible to rig an X-drive system on an S85 build like this?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

With all of the money going into parts and labor, you should just buy an M5, even though that's not what you are going for. Rigging X Drive to the S85 with SMG, that will be a tough one. But an E90 with a V10 swap would be the ultimate sleeper!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Just get an X6 M.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
With all of the money going into parts and labor, you should just buy an M5, even though that's not what you are going for. Rigging X Drive to the S85 with SMG, that will be a tough one. But an E90 with a V10 swap would be the ultimate sleeper!
^__^ Sleeper is what i'm going for! (with the exception of M3 trim). If i get my funding in order, i might as well throw twin superchargers on it (if engine bay space permits) and a custom wide body [maybe the first ever GTRS3 Sedan?]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister View Post
Just get an X6 M.
I'm not an SUV person... O_o I convinced my girlfriend she should get one though... it's either that or a HEMI SRT8 Jeep Cherokee (which is ~20k less)...

Besides all that, it's the point of the project to do a swap like that... more so to originalize it [from Hartge].

***btw, if i did complete the swap, would i technically be in the M5 Brotherhood, the M3 Club, or the General E90 Sedan Clan? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
tlaselva
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
With all of the money going into parts and labor, you should just buy an M5, even though that's not what you are going for. Rigging X Drive to the S85 with SMG, that will be a tough one.
OP, you would do well to heed these words.

The project your contemplating is a bottomless pit where you money will go.

If you do decide to go through with it, I'd be willing to bet my X5 that you'll eventually regret it, and likely never complete it.

Been into custom/high performance car builds for 20 years; been there, done it.

But then again, many people have to learn the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

V10 in an E90 has been done before, but you wont just be doing the engine. If you want it to handle anything like an M3 you'll have to swap out all of the Suspension components including rear subrame, bushings, control arms, tension rods, not to mention shocks and springs.

You'll need to custom fabricate a lot of things including headers, probably a new oilpan as I am not 100% sure the pan on the E60 V10 will fit in the E90.

I'd be interested to subscribe to the thread to see how it goes though if you do decide to proceed
Appreciate 0