Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Hood issue

I have this issue for a while but been lazy since it doesn't bother me as much. When I close the hood of the car (holding it from the center and dropping it), the passenger side hood doesn't close flush (visible that there there's maybe .25 of an inch or less to go more). Left side (driver side) sits flush upon closing. I always have to go put pressure on the passenger side of the hood (above the head light) for it to close properly. Haven't seen this in any of my other cars. I don't slam the hood but don't close it like a wuss either.

Anyone else have it? I don't think it's a big enough issue for it to go to dealer but just wondering.

Thanks
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer
I have this issue for a while but been lazy since it doesn't bother me as much. When I close the hood of the car (holding it from the center and dropping it), the passenger side hood doesn't close flush (visible that there there's maybe .25 of an inch or less to go more). Left side (driver side) sits flush upon closing. I always have to go put pressure on the passenger side of the hood (above the head light) for it to close properly. Haven't seen this in any of my other cars. I don't slam the hood but don't close it like a wuss either.

Anyone else have it? I don't think it's a big enough issue for it to go to dealer but just wondering.

Thanks
Don't drop the hood. It's aluminium, not very heavy, and both the latches and hinges have active pyrotechnics. Just lower the hood gently to the latches, then place both hands over each latch area and push slightly until they click into place.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
SFT33
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28, E34, E60 & F10 M5s

Maybe the bump stops under the hood are out of alignment.
      05-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

Mine use to do that as well from time to time... I'd do the drop like you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:

Thanks
Don't drop the hood. It's aluminium, not very heavy, and both the latches and hinges have active pyrotechnics. Just lower the hood gently to the latches, then place both hands over each latch area and push slightly until they click into place.
Pyrotechnics? There should be no pyrotechnics in engine bay except for inside the cylinders ;-)
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Close the hood by holding both ends and push it down 1 hand on Left side and other Right side

If it doesnt close evenly open again do the steps
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Pyrotechnics? There should be no pyrotechnics in engine bay except for inside the cylinders ;-)
Haha...the F10 has an active hood. If the pedestrian detection calculates an impact with a person is unavoidable, the front hinge mounts blow and drive the leading area up 3" inches. When an actual impact occurs (with or without pre-crash), the rear hinges blow and lift the rear of the hood up 8".
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #8
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Haha...the F10 has an active hood. If the pedestrian detection calculates an impact with a person is unavoidable, the front hinge mounts blow and drive the leading area up 3" inches. When an actual impact occurs (with or without pre-crash), the rear hinges blow and lift the rear of the hood up 8".
Ah good to know. Had no idea.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Not sure if it helps, my e93 had same issue. I noticed one of the holding(hood supporting) rubbers came off its mount, fell in the groove where hood meets fender and it was blocking the hood from closing completely. Picked it, put it back to its mount and everything was good.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
Ah good to know. Had no idea.
If you look at the latches, you'll notice they have a small gas strut on them. This allows pressure to be applied to the surface without bending the aluminum. Just below those are the front Pedestrian Protection Actuators.

I have my doubts about the pre-collision activation. I know it exists but I've never had the system give a pedestrian warning in this car or any other BMW Group car equipped with the system for that matter. It loves to give unnecessary low speed braking intervention though.
Appreciate 0