Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Ordering M5, Is anyone getting the 6MT?

Like a number of others, I recieved an email this morning from my dealer about the April 23rd order date. Therefore, I am trying to put my spec together.

The big question for me is 6MT or 7DCT? I've always run manual cars and I'm worried that the F10 may be comprimised by the manual gearbox. Are any other US buyers going to be spec'ing theirs with a traditional gearbox?

I'd love to see a review of the two, but don't see how that will be possible before I order.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
ddmerino
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

My heart is already set for manual transmission since I have always been driving manuals and derive pleasure from it. I find something missing when driving without the left foot doing anything. Anyway, that said, my only concern now are some problems experienced by some and are stated in this forum. I just hope that these problems (like the strange noise coming from the rear) are isolated issues and not something prevalent, otherwise, I may change my mind and wait for the MY2014.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Strange noises from the rear? I think an Akrapovic system can solve that
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmerino View Post
My heart is already set for manual transmission since I have always been driving manuals and derive pleasure from it. I find something missing when driving without the left foot doing anything. Anyway, that said, my only concern now are some problems experienced by some and are stated in this forum. I just hope that these problems (like the strange noise coming from the rear) are isolated issues and not something prevalent, otherwise, I may change my mind and wait for the MY2014.
So are you getting a manual or the DCT?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
ddmerino
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Strange noises from the rear? I think an Akrapovic system can solve that
If you are talking about some solution for the exhaust system, that is not the problem I am refering. If you look in the thread "Strange sound from rear in speedbumps", the M5 owner from Slovakia is describing some sound he thinks might be coming from the shock absorbers. He has taken the car back to the BMW dealer and although the dealer has replaced the shock absorber, the strange noise still persists and seem to be getting worse. If the problem is not fixed by simple parts replacement, it could mean that it may be a production or design problem which will take time to solve, probably in the next model year.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Falcao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I would probably get DCT but for a true manual inclined buyer, 6-MT should be even better F10 than E60 and here is why.

1. MT is offered now from the start of production so M spent the time to get proper gear ratios right and not some frankenstein gearbox rammed into the car after customer complaints.

2. .10 difference according to M between 7-DCT and 6-MT 0-60 plus 24mpg. The gearing probably makes the 6-MT closer to 7-DCT performance compared to E60 with a good driver.

3. From pics, short and slick shifter just like 1M.

4. Tons of Tq down low makes driving 6-MT in S63Tu easier and much easier than manic S85 in E60. You will most likely shift gears less since there will be Tq all over the rev band. If you ever owned E39, it should be like that but with much more more power

5. We need a test guinea pig for some of us waiting for MY2014. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

No manual for me. I appreciate that many here love their manuals, but the DCT is so good, to me it seems like a no-brainer to go that route.

I find it fascinating that BMW only provides the manual in the U.S. Particularly since so many cars are manuals in Europe. I suppose that the popularity of Formula One in Europe with its mandated semi-automatic sequential gearboxes has cemented the association between SMG and racing for non-U.S. sports car buyers.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
4. Tons of Tq down low makes driving 6-MT in S63Tu easier and much easier than manic S85 in E60. You will most likely shift gears less since there will be Tq all over the rev band. If you ever owned E39, it should be like that but with much more more power
S65 with 6MT is easy to drive. Gotta rev the bag out the car to be rolling, the torque of the S63Tu will be welcome here.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
S65 with 6MT is easy to drive. Gotta rev the bag out the car to be rolling, the torque of the S63Tu will be welcome here.
Agreed, though I am still up in the air on the decision. I wasn't really a fan of the DCT in the M3, even though its definitely faster on track. However, this M5 will not see much track time.

Quote:
If you are talking about some solution for the exhaust system, that is not the problem I am refering. If you look in the thread "Strange sound from rear in speedbumps", the M5 owner from Slovakia is describing some sound he thinks might be coming from the shock absorbers. He has taken the car back to the BMW dealer and although the dealer has replaced the shock absorber, the strange noise still persists and seem to be getting worse. If the problem is not fixed by simple parts replacement, it could mean that it may be a production or design problem which will take time to solve, probably in the next model year.
The Akra part was a joke in that it would help to cover up this sound. Both my current M3 and the old e39 M5 make a 'clank' when I hit a certain bump on my way to work. Sounds like the same thing, so I am not that worried.

Back to the topic, I'd like to hear from more buyers on their gearbox spec.

Last edited by JC919; 04-09-2012 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT

I've never owned any thing but a proper manual with a clutch pedal and stick shift. I enjoy being engaged in the driving experience and love nailing perfectly rev matched downshifts.
The gearbox choice on my M5 was easily the biggest car related decision in some time. I went with the DCT for the following reasons:
1 - Consistency with the designers' intent. This car was designed to run with the DCT and to swap in a manual would take something away.
2 - Better performance. I don't care one bit about zero to 100 or 1/4 mile times, but my experience with turbo charged manuals is that shifting interupts the delivery of torque much more than it does on a NA engine.
3 - If I miss the 'proper' manual, I can go for a spin in my old Skyline GTR or, for track days, in my Formula car.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
lawpurv99
das biest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 - Totaled :(

I'm ordering one when the system opens up on the 23rd. So far, I know I'm going with the 7-DCT, 20" wheels, Imperial Blue Metallic and Cohiba Brown. I am still waiting on the list of options for the US before deciding on the rest, but open to suggestions. Would like to go with the B&O and other options since ED invoice carries a decent discount off US MSRP from what I hear.

I went with the DCT for the other reasons the guys on this forum mentioned (the expertise and comments have been a great help), plus the fact that my commute would suck in the traffic and hills of NC for daily driving in the manual. I know the speed difference is negligible in changing gears, but a computer with dual clutch has to be smarter and quicker than me trying to change gears.

Just some thoughts. Best of luck with the wait; it's already killing me knowing I have to wait until late August or September 1st before I'm at the Welt haven't even given much thought to the wait for the time it takes to get back stateside.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Simple 6spd. MT - I really think this is going to be the last ever high performance M5 to come in a MT. So get it while it lasts, and enjoy it for as long as you can. I drove DCT/PDK all weekend and its all magical technology but nothing quite feels as good as my MT.

Good to see BMW designed this car with both transmissions in mind - nice they are offering both options. Now all I need to do is make enough money to get my wife her gift so I can add the F10
      04-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawpurv99
I'm ordering one when the system opens up on the 23rd. So far, I know I'm going with the 7-DCT, 20" wheels, Imperial Blue Metallic and Cohiba Brown. I am still waiting on the list of options for the US before deciding on the rest, but open to suggestions. Would like to go with the B&O and other options since ED invoice carries a decent discount off US MSRP from what I hear.

I went with the DCT for the other reasons the guys on this forum mentioned (the expertise and comments have been a great help), plus the fact that my commute would suck in the traffic and hills of NC for daily driving in the manual. I know the speed difference is negligible in changing gears, but a computer with dual clutch has to be smarter and quicker than me trying to change gears.

Just some thoughts. Best of luck with the wait; it's already killing me knowing I have to wait until late August or September 1st before I'm at the Welt haven't even given much thought to the wait for the time it takes to get back stateside.
Imperial blue and cohiba brown will be a great pairing.

Maybe HUD as another option? I know I'm getting that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #14
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

If you hang around the Porsche and GTR forums enough, this question makes you want to bash your head against a wall because of how often it is debated.

Having driven/owned more single/dual automated gearbox cars than most, I am still clearly in favor of a traditional manual gearbox in some cars. What puts the F10 M5 in a different category over the E63 in MY opinion, is the option of a proper manual. An M5 in my garage wouldn't be a race car, and I don't need it to be the fastest thing on the road. I need to enjoy driving it, and as such, a proper manual gearbox would be the basis for that experience for this particular car.
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Simple 6spd. MT - I really think this is going to be the last ever high performance M5 to come in a MT. So get it while it lasts, and enjoy it for as long as you can. I drove DCT/PDK all weekend and its all magical technology but nothing quite feels as good as my MT.

Good to see BMW designed this car with both transmissions in mind - nice they are offering both options. Now all I need to do is make enough money to get my wife her gift so I can add the F10
Is the wife's gift a car also?

I say you're right. I don't see BMW offering a manual for the next m5 in 7 years DCT technology will be even more improved by then and MT will make less and less of a business case when more % of buyers choose DCT in the next few years.

Like you said, get it now North American folks. It may be the last.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

After a very interesting debate on another forum and the helpful advise of my favorite car journo via twatter, I think that I am going with DCT...God help me
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
AlpWhite11
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919
After a very interesting debate on another forum and the helpful advise of my favorite car journo via twatter, I think that I am going with DCT...God help me
God help you

I'm just kidding. I may be doing the same. Would like to test drive both in the m5 to see how each fits the character of the car. But I'm sure there's no bad choice between the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

DCT is a no brainer for me. While i can appreciate the classic 6 speed manual and those that love it, the DCT is by far more advanced tenchologically and can shift faster than i can, and its so smooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Quote:
...Anyway, that said, my only concern now are some problems experienced by some and are stated in this forum. I just hope that these problems (like the strange noise coming from the rear) are isolated issues and not something prevalent, otherwise, I may change my mind and wait for the MY2014.

Pioneers get slaughtered and settlers prosper. Hats off to all of you pioneers.

Last edited by mr_yogi; 04-14-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
Gubbins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC

MT doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the M5. It is a big heavy four door sedan with luxury items. It is so isolated from the real world that they have to pipe the sound in electronically. So to now insist on an option which gets you "closer" to the mechanics but actually degrades performance doesn't not make a whole lot of sense to me in this particular car. Now getting a manual in a car that you have purely for fun, that makes a lot of sense to me. In the M3, I can see it make sense to get the MT. Or a corvette. Or 911. In the M5... come on. Who are you kidding? It is a fast big four door grocery getter.
Appreciate 0