M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #1
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 and E84 X1 Xdrive35i

Soft Close Door Lock Actuator. How to tell which one is bad?

So, I am pretty sure one of my door lock actuators is going out and I am not sure which one. One day when I went to lock the car the front driver side door locked but all the other doors did not. I had to use the key to get into the driver side door. A quick search of the forums directed me to a 15amp fuse in position 14.

I have replaced it once over the past few months. Which goes back to my question, how do I know which actuator is going out? I don't want to replace them all if I don't have to..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Sometimes the wiring that leads from the body to the door can be damaged with opening and closing. Check other electronics are working on every door, open the doors and check the rubber boots that cover the wiring for damage. To be honest though when the wiring is damaged the boot is usually intact.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
bbellz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple5 View Post
So, I am pretty sure one of my door lock actuators is going out and I am not sure which one. One day when I went to lock the car the front driver side door locked but all the other doors did not. I had to use the key to get into the driver side door. A quick search of the forums directed me to a 15amp fuse in position 14.

I have replaced it once over the past few months. Which goes back to my question, how do I know which actuator is going out? I don't want to replace them all if I don't have to..
I had the same issue. I went to open my drovers side front door using comfort access and the alarm would disarm but the door would not open. I replaced the fuse and I was fine for a couple months. Then the fuse blew again. This time the fuse blew when both my wife and I reached for the front drivers and front passenger door at the same time. This got me thinking it was one of those two locks. I replaced the fuse again and it ended up blowing shortly thereafter.

Eventually the passenger side front lock stopped working. Hence I knew that was the lock. While I'm not directly answering your question the lock that's bad will eventually die.

Don't ever manual lock the door by pushing down the door lock knob that protrudes thru the top of the door card. You could end up with a situation where the lock gets put in the double locked position and not be able to open the door. When the drivers lick fails in the double lick position you can use the jet to open with another door you may be out of luck. The double locking feature is very frustrating.

I ended up ordering the part from fcp euro for ~$420. Ive heard around $1k for a dealer to replace.