M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

New Products form Dinan (Intake and Suspension system)

I just received email form Dinan about new Intake and suspension.
Intake is very pretty but priced 3k and height adjustable sprint kit 1.5k

Information from their website:
http://dinancars.com/product/d760-00...ries&mid=1163/

Dinan® Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake for BMW F10 M5

The F10 M5 Dinan carbon cold air intake, like most Dinan products, has a sleek and functional appearance that embodies high performance. The F10 M5 cold air intake allows cool outside air to be pushed into the engine via a pair of supplemental carbon fiber intake ducts located at the front of the engine bay. The M5 cold air intake system was carefully designed within tight packaging constraints and in consideration of ideal aerodynamic diffusing angles to optimize the efficiency and performance of this induction system. Each duct leads combustion air through a custom designed intake assembly that has a larger than stock metered air flow housing, as well as a Dinan conical air filter with a 77% larger capacity. Dinan engineers have painstakingly developed custom tooling to ensure the entire Dinan cold air intake system is sealed like a factory replacement, thereby preventing hot air from the engine compartment to compromise its effectiveness. The stock air inlets are left intact and fully functional to provide a new total of four air intakes into the engine for maximum airflow. Improved induction airflow offered by Dinan cold air intake systems increase engine performance, even more so if used in combination with other performance enhancing Dinan products.

The F10 M5 Cold Air intake is in compliance with U.S. EPA Memorandum 1A, or this product has not been found, nor is believed to be, unlawful for use under the provisions of the Clean Air Act. Currently: This product is not legal for sale or use in California, or states that have adopted California emissions standards, on any pollution controlled motor vehicles.

Benefits of Dinan's F10 M5 Cold Air Intake:

• 627 HP and 616 lb-ft of Torque when combined with the D-Tronics Performance Tuner and exhaust. A difference of 17 HP and 11 lb-ft of torque from Dinan Stage 1 (D-Tronics Performance Tuner Only).

• Dinan proprietary Injection molded Dinan MAF housings are larger than stock

• Stock air filters are replaced with 77% larger Dinan conical air filters.

• Entire Dinan Intake system is sealed like a factory replacement to ensure only cold outside air and not hot air from the engine compartment is being utilized.

• Stock System Stays Completely Functional

• Carbon fiber air box lids and intake ducts

• Raised Dinan logos are laminated into the carbon fiber intake
• Rubber hoses, mountain brackets, & hardware included.
Attached Images

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Information from their website:
http://dinancars.com/product/d190-10...ies&mid=1163//

Dinan® High Performance Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension System

Product Description
For the driver that demands the best out of their vehicle. The Dinan® Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension was bred in the race lab but refined on the street for maximum versatility. No matter the environment, the traction that is bestowed upon the vehicle from the improved suspension will inspire new found confidence when running at higher speeds. Combined with a substantial reduction in body roll as well as reducing dive under breaking and squat under acceleration. Dinan will guarantee you superior handling, performance, and comfort. Dinans design keeps the factory Electronic Damper Control shocks in place and implements threaded collars to allow the user to change the ride height. The end result is a sleek lowered stance that provides improved handling to go along with its stunning visual appearance. The springs combined with progressive bump stops and other components increase travel that allows the car to be lowered up to a 1.25”. Suspension packers are included to fine tune handling and comfort by changing the clearance of the progressive bump-stops, something no respectable racecar is without. Components are machined from 6061-T6 aluminum and black anodized for appearance and corrosion protection.

Benefits of Dinan’s Performance Coil-Over Suspension System:

• Threaded collars allow easy and precise front & rear vehicle height adjustments.

• Up to 1 1/4” of lowering is possible depending on tire clearance although ¾” drop is recommended to maintain ride quality.

• Spring rates are 15% stiffer for both front and rear.

• Substantial reduction in body roll.

• Included suspension packers allow adjustment of bump-stop clearance to fine-tune handling and comfort.

• Dinan-spec progressive bump stops improve ride quality at lowered ride heights.

• Components are machined from 6061-T6 aluminum and black anodized for a sporty appearance as well as corrosion protection.

• Compatible with BMW EDC shocks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
ufgtrs2007
dentite
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, M2C, JLU392, e92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm going to get both of these. I believe they're priced right taking into account the Dinan and M5 tax.

I wonder when the tune will be out?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Suspension seems reasonably priced and keeps EDC, I might be interested.
      05-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

The tune will be out very soon. The intake design is very interesting and is the first I've really seen that has the potential to really increase performance. Don't know about the new Coilovers from Dinan though. KW just released theirs and depending on the price of the Dinans the KW may be a better choice. The KW's go for about $1,100-1,200.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Tune is another piggyback, though claims to take more that boost into account.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I wish they made their intake in plastic and lower the price. with 3k, I'm sure I can buy a full titanium exhaust from HKS for JDM rides. =D

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

This shit is crazy, i think tuning a car for me has come to a end. :
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL
This shit is crazy, i think tuning a car for me has come to a end. :
Lol! Why do you say that?

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

This is from Dinan website:
Product Specifications
Labor Hours/Installation Hours: 6.00
Required Items: Installation requires specialized Dinan® tool kit.
What the hell is specialized Dinan tool kit?

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
This is from Dinan website:
Product Specifications
Labor Hours/Installation Hours: 6.00
Required Items: Installation requires specialized Dinan® tool kit.
What the hell is specialized Dinan tool kit?
It comes with a dinan badge
      05-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #12
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
Tune is another piggyback, though claims to take more that boost into account.
Heard of another Switzer tune on a M5 going into limp mode today after several m5's took a major poop with ETG tunes pushing too much boost.......hmm two years later and no issues with BMS.
      05-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
Tom C
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC Comp, Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The tune will be out very soon. The intake design is very interesting and is the first I've really seen that has the potential to really increase performance. Don't know about the new Coilovers from Dinan though. KW just released theirs and depending on the price of the Dinans the KW may be a better choice. The KW's go for about $1,100-1,200.
What makes you say that? I honestly think this could be as restrictive as the stock air box or any of the other alternative intakes. The only way the air box is drawing air is through the "snorkel" (and possibly the trumpets in the bottom of the stock airbox). The snorkel is flattened out as it goes over the radiator housing (whatever you want to call that metal front member). I think that will be the limiting factor so it doesn't matter that the filter is 77% bigger than stock, the air that is being funneled in is going through a small opening. It is also using the same intake tube heading into the engine post MAF so I am not sure about their claim that the MAF housing is larger..or even matters if it necks down to the stock piping by the time it goes into the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
What makes you say that? I honestly think this could be as restrictive as the stock air box or any of the other alternative intakes. The only way the air box is drawing air is through the "snorkel" (and possibly the trumpets in the bottom of the stock airbox). The snorkel is flattened out as it goes over the radiator housing (whatever you want to call that metal front member). I think that will be the limiting factor so it doesn't matter that the filter is 77% bigger than stock, the air that is being funneled in is going through a small opening. It is also using the same intake tube heading into the engine post MAF so I am not sure about their claim that the MAF housing is larger..or even matters if it necks down to the stock piping by the time it goes into the engine.
Why won't people agree that BMW engineers outsmarted everyone this time around, two ecu's with a floating source code, perfectly designed exhaust and intake guides that leave no room for improvement.

What other cars do you know that will lose power from an intake and gain only 5-10hp from a $8k exhaust on a car with forced induction.

I ran a 11 flat with stock intakes and they are staying stock, so I completely agree with you Tom.

On a different note, how do you like the SQ5?
Performance figures for small suv are pretty nice.
      05-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Sounds like the Dinan air rams are supplemental to the stock air intakes. Dinan system does not eliminate stock intakes. Even thought the Dinan intakes look really flat, as long as they maintain a decent opening surface area they should be fine. Air path looks a bit complicated, but as long as they are not the sole source of incoming air they should improve flow. Expensive yeah, but then I drank the Gruppe M Kool Aid.
      05-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It is all just speculation on my part really. You're right about the stock intake hose being used from the turbo to the intake box. I was thinking the whole premise on increasing the performance of an intake box is to increase airflow and increase the amount of cool air entering the engine. I speculated that with the new air intake ducts coming from on top of the front grille, that more air would be allowed to enter the engine, as well as with the bigger air filter. So far no intake design for the F10 M5 I've seen gives more performance than just removing the charcoal filters. I don't even know if the RPi Air Scoops make a difference but I got them and so did Greenturbo as they really did increase performance on the E60 M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Why won't people agree that BMW engineers outsmarted everyone this time around, two ecu's with a floating source code, perfectly designed exhaust and intake guides that leave no room for improvement.

What other cars do you know that will lose power from an intake and gain only 5-10hp from a $8k exhaust on a car with forced induction.

I ran a 11 flat with stock intakes and they are staying stock, so I completely agree with you Tom.
Yeah I pretty agree with you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
Sounds like the Dinan air rams are supplemental to the stock air intakes. Dinan system does not eliminate stock intakes. Even thought the Dinan intakes look really flat, as long as they maintain a decent opening surface area they should be fine. Air path looks a bit complicated, but as long as they are not the sole source of incoming air they should improve flow. Expensive yeah, but then I drank the Gruppe M Kool Aid.
Gruppe M, oh boy.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh man- I didn't realized you moved to M5. I used to check out your X5M pics in all over the boards. Good to see you here.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
It seems both Dinan and BMS determined the performance issue with the OEM airbox is the opening in to the airbox itself. Apparently BMW did as well by adding an extra air horn to later models. The easiest solution is to add another hole to the airbox bottom to let more air in. I like BMS' creative and free approach personally.

Appreciate 0