Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

Safer on the track than on the street

I'll plan to follow-up this post thread with a new thread on Monday or Tuesday with a much better discussion about the great time I'm having at Barber Motorsports Park (http://barbermotorsports.com/park/track-maps.php). This is a HPDE put on by the BMW CCA group in Alabama. So let the suspense begin...

That being said, the title of this thread is a bit disconcerting. After leaving the motorsport park yesterday, I was a victim of a hit-and-run. The short of it is that three teenagers in a crap car rear ended me while I was at a traffic light and then proceeded to run off. This occurred not 2 miles from the track.

Called 911 as soon as they started to run. Left the car where it was, and gave the description of the car, persons, and direction to the dispatcher. At the same time, some of the new friends I had made yesterday were at a nearby gas station and saw it happen. And so the chase began...

They stayed with them [driver and car far out matched by another BMW HPDE participant] and the cops had time to catch up and get them. Kudos to the Leeds, AL police department for their fast reaction time. AND EXCEPTIONAL kudos to the guys that ran them down!

Still plan to participate today in the HPDE: only my rear bumper, diffuser, and pride in my car are wounded.

I'll take the car in later this week to receive an estimate for repair once I'm back in my home area. But I'm researching a bit this morning and trying to find an exploded view of the car with part numbers. Ideally an online source for said parts just to have a feel for part cost and availability is part of my goal.
Any tips or links would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntomferg View Post
Any tips or links would be much appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your incident, really aggravating! Glad they were caught.

Barber is a great track, more of a beautiful park with a racetrack put in the middle of it! Only ridden it on a motorcycle, but I'm sure the M5 is a blast as well. Try these sources for parts, they don't always list everything but may have what you need: http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/ or
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

I'll look forward to your track report.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Sorry to hear about this. Glad the damage is not material and that the culprits will be brought to justice.

Looking forward to hearing about the track - hopefully you will have some video footage for us.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Glad they got caught!