BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

mdm with this car is definitely more permissive than with e9x m3. that being said this car has a lot more torque too. I like driving with MDM on unless it's wet because with hard acceleration traction control does not turn on. And this allows the differential To actually do its job and send power to the right wheel to keep pushing you faster.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

MDM is also more permissive in this car compared to the E60 M5 as well. Certainly need to be prepared for significant oversteer with MDM enabled. I am looking forward to M-school to see how the car responds in a controlled environment...push the limits of this beast

I second MDM for aggressive driving...the M dynamic diff is wonderful, and DSC cutting power is not.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
BC87
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 M5

No problem, thanks for the clarification.
      03-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

The wife calls it "the dukes off hazard" button. I encouraged her to try it one day when she complained that the nanny mode kicked in too soon when she was pulling out. She decide to stick with the nanny mode setting for the traction.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
avi8tir
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Why risk daily driving in MDM? Not worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #28
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Why risk daily driving in MDM? Not worth it in my opinion.
Because it is soooo much fun?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Because it is soooo much fun?
That it is!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
MDM is also more permissive in this car compared to the E60 M5 as well. Certainly need to be prepared for significant oversteer with MDM enabled. I am looking forward to M-school to see how the car responds in a controlled environment...push the limits of this beast

I second MDM for aggressive driving...the M dynamic diff is wonderful, and DSC cutting power is not.
Agreed 100%. Going to go to M Perf. School as well. What a blast it would be. The Spartnaburg SC facility is only a few hours away and I can beat up THEIR M5 not mine-lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #31
nugent
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

leaving an empty airport parking lot last night with 3 friends in the car, I did some donuts with MDM on. no question it is more permissive.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
Stuartlogan77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradone1
Stupid thought, but maybe not... Wonder if a 6MT would behave the same way? I have done some pretty aggressive turning in my M5 and i have had no slipping or sideways-ness at all.... drifting on wide open greeen-turn-lit intersections, 80 here, slidey around the cordner there... no turning the car sideways... i am on 20inch originalk wheels and tires in Miami (70-75 dgree weather this time of year)... i look for these drifting corners all the time to misbehave Occationally my DSC will shudder and drop significant power to my rear wheels but only when i am making the car do things it really shouldnt be doing... all of this with comfort/comfort/economy.... very very rarely do i even need to crank it up with a 6MT to sport+ for anything.... wondering if that will make me go sideways
Mine is MT behaves the same way as everyone is sharing although cold weather plays a part. I had a 2008 m3 and the tires were not as good in the cold. Felt like riding on steel rims. But the mdm mode was far mor conservative and I had that mode on all the time because it made you feel like a driving god with training wheels (in that you didn't kill yourself). The m5 because if the power hike needs more throttle respect than the m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #33
E90076
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M, M2CS, M5CS

Does anyone know what the differences are between MDM and all nannies disengaged?

My E90 M3 would allow me to get a little sideways but I always felt like the nannies kicked in if I pushed it too far. The F10 MDM allowing donuts is surprising.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #34
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
This is well known. At PCD I did a full 360 spin on a dry track with MDM.

I honestly don't think you should use MDM unless you have track training on this vehicle and can modulate throttle manually.
At M school, had quite a serious spin with the M5. It came unexpected.
      04-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #35
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

the OP, you mentioned you have a tune, dp and exh. Do you have a vid of what the car sounds like?
Thanks
      11-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #36
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

sorry for bringing back an old post, but this is exactly what I was curious to know.

Got my M5 3 days ago and noticed, the DSC off sign while going into MDM. So it got me wondering, when it will actually kick in.

Had an E9X M3 for a couple years and enjoyed driving in MDM mode since it saved me half the time I pushed out of a corner too fast but I guess it is not going to be the case with the MDM on the M5. I never got to know how to handle the car sideways (E9X M3), which is why I liked the MDM mode so much. Made a driving noob like me look like Tsuchiya san... well maybe not.

So how and when does MDM actually "save" you on a turn, when you are allowed to do donuts with the MDM ON?

Also, I know a lot of folks will advice me to go to a driving school, and yes I plan on going to a local track and get some lessons. Really want to go to the M Performance Driving school but unfortunately it is too far away from me.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #37
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Many people think MDM is a "fun mode". I wouldn't tell anyone without track experience to use MDM.

MDM does allow somewhat of a "safety net", but it is in no way a foolproof system to correct driver error. You can easily get yourself into trouble if you are not paying attention or don't know what your doing.

The M5 has a lot of power under the right pedal. It does not take much travel of the pedal to get it sideways and keep it sideways. The car is a lot of fun, but everyone should know that MDM is much more similar and closer to DSC Off than it is to DSC On.
      11-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #38
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Many people think MDM is a "fun mode". I wouldn't tell anyone without track experience to use MDM.

MDM does allow somewhat of a "safety net", but it is in no way a foolproof system to correct driver error. You can easily get yourself into trouble if you are not paying attention or don't know what your doing.

The M5 has a lot of power under the right pedal. It does not take much travel of the pedal to get it sideways and keep it sideways. The car is a lot of fun, but everyone should know that MDM is much more similar and closer to DSC Off than it is to DSC On.
I am just very glad I read this post before I got myself into trouble.

Everyone should be made aware that its very different from the E9X M3's MDM mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #39
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

MDM is a DSC program, so I think it's safe to say that MDM will behave anywhere from somewhat differently to very different across the M fleet.

I drove in the M3 GTS at BMW's track in Miramas, France. I also drove a average spec frozen black M3 around the same course. Huge difference, and most know the MDM in the GTS is reprogrammed.

Just like the MDM from M5 to CP M5 will be different.

M3 and M5 are very different cars. Thinking about it, MDM in my M5 is defiantly less forgiving.. but that has to do with the amount of power and torque in the car. The faster the car, the more driver skill needed to control, the harder MDM has to work.

There are boundaries that even the best tech cannot save you from - be careful people..
      11-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #40
jet888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

This thread reminded me of the Chris Harris video when he was driving a then prototype F10 m5 in the snow.

I believe they deliberately engineered mdm differently from what went before

have a look

Appreciate 1
      11-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #41
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

There you go. That's in line with my previous thoughts and how the M5 MDM differs from the normal spec M3 MDM.

The driver needs to make the initial correction with the steering and throttle. The MDM will not help at that time as it would be counter intuitive for a driver that knows what they are doing.

However, MDM will assist the driver after initial correction in attempt to prevent the need for any additional correction from the driver.
      11-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
Lual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 2014 CP / X5 G05 ‘21

I just got my first 2000 km. To celebrate it, I went to a nice road in the Black forest.
I was shocked that when pushing the foot hard in the middle of the turn, and with all nannys on, the response of the throttle was none. Simply not existing at all until I left the turn. I would have gone far much faster with an X5 and all nannies on aswell.

Really dissapointing.

I am not an expert driver, so until I get some specific trainning, I don t want to do crazy things but, is MDM really a "dangerous" solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #43
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lual
I just got my first 2000 km. To celebrate it, I went to a nice road in the Black forest.
I was shocked that when pushing the foot hard in the middle of the turn, and with all nannys on, the response of the throttle was none. Simply not existing at all until I left the turn. I would have gone far much faster with an X5 and all nannies on aswell.

Really dissapointing.

I am not an expert driver, so until I get some specific trainning, I don t want to do crazy things but, is MDM really a "dangerous" solution?
You were driving with DSC On, right?
The response was none because DSC did it's job. Your throttle input was too aggressive, and would of sent you sideways and out of control. If you looked at the dash at that time you would of seen the DSC light flashing.

What happened was when you told the car to give 50%+ throttle to the wheels while your steering angle was at xx degrees, the car processes that info almost instantaneously, and knew to cut power until steering angle returned to xx degrees.

While in the apex of a turn, the amount of throttle input to get the car sideways is probably about a quarter to less than half of pedal travel if in the correct gear.
      11-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #44
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
There you go. That's in line with my previous thoughts and how the M5 MDM differs from the normal spec M3 MDM.

The driver needs to make the initial correction with the steering and throttle. The MDM will not help at that time as it would be counter intuitive for a driver that knows what they are doing.

However, MDM will assist the driver after initial correction in attempt to prevent the need for any additional correction from the driver.
i was wondering why mdm never kicks in, like it used in m3
very helpful!
Appreciate 0