03-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #45
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Lambo's official line on why the Aventador will be offered with a single clutch AMT is that the Dual Clutch is "too smooth" and does not offer "enough emotion".
It's BS. They are just playing the "Talk up what you got and talk down what you don't."

The only reason why Lamborghini came up with this BS about emotion is because a DSG equipped Aventador would render the Veyron useless, so the "geniuses" at the VAG group had to find a way to slow the Aventador down, in other to not make the Veyron look irrelevant.

The solution: Fit the brand spanking new Lamborghini with the same old dimwitted, jerky "E-gear" transmission and call it a day. Job done! Now it was just up to the marketing department to come up with the most preposterous load of BS about how the E-gear adds "emotion" to the equation.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #46
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I agree that Lamborghini's marketing folks are playing it up somewhat with the whole emotion/feel line. But I completely disagree with your conclusion about the Veyron. Instead, IMHO, they went with the single clutch ISR because of weight and packaging concerns. If you look at the approach they took with the Aventador, it is clear that weight was managed meticulously. They didn't want the penalties of the DCT. Even though they are minor, every little pound adds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister View Post
It's BS. They are just playing the "Talk up what you got and talk down what you don't."

The only reason why Lamborghini came up with this BS about emotion is because a DSG equipped Aventador would render the Veyron useless, so the "geniuses" at the VAG group had to find a way to slow the Aventador down, in other to not make the Veyron look irrelevant.

The solution: Fit the brand spanking new Lamborghini with the same old dimwitted, jerky "E-gear" transmission and call it a day. Job done! Now it was just up to the marketing department to come up with the most preposterous load of BS about how the E-gear adds "emotion" to the equation.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #47
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:

This transmission is nothing like the old e-gear from the last car, you really need to read up on the subject you are discussing.

I'm a big DCT fan but can understand fully the reasoning behind their decision and the emotion evoke from this ISR transmission and why it's currently limited to such cars like the Lambo.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #48
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
This transmission is nothing like the old e-gear from the last car, you really need to read up on the subject you are discussing.

I'm a big DCT fan but can understand fully the reasoning behind their decision and the emotion evoke from this ISR transmission and why it's currently limited to such cars like the Lambo.
OK. Explain this new E-gear, for me please.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #49
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:

I would like to hear your view on how a $500-600k car will make a $1.2 million car obsolete with just an addition of a dct.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 08:40 AM   #50
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
OK. Explain this new E-gear, for me please.
ISR short for Independent Shifting Rod can switch gear almost 50 percent quicker than a dual-clutch transmission in most normal situations but has the benefits of manual transmission when it comes to lower weight and more compact dimensions, two things that are crucial when designing a super car. The reasons why its shift times are so low is due to it's name ISR (Independent Shifting Rod), instead of taking place in series as with a conventional gearbox the shifting occurs in parallel. This means that while one shifting rod is moving out of one gear the second shifting rod has already engage the next and the switch from one gear to the next is almost instant.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #51
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

E-Gear is extremely fast but not very smooth at lower speeds.. which fits the Lamborghini's theme
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #52
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
ISR short for Independent Shifting Rod can switch gear almost 50 percent quicker than a dual-clutch transmission in most normal situations but has the benefits of manual transmission when it comes to lower weight and more compact dimensions, two things that are crucial when designing a super car. The reasons why its shift times are so low is due to it's name ISR (Independent Shifting Rod), instead of taking place in series as with a conventional gearbox the shifting occurs in parallel. This means that while one shifting rod is moving out of one gear the second shifting rod has already engage the next and the switch from one gear to the next is almost instant.
Thank you Footie.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #53
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

Just wanted to add my $.02

After driving the X5M and seeing how the 8spd reposnds compared to the DCT in my M3, I am glad to see the car will have the DCT.

I agree all that is needed are 3 drivelogic settings - Hard to feel the difference between each of them in D and S mode

The x5 with this motor sucks gas worse then my M3, granted the truck is heavier, and the M5 will have alot more hp/tq. The gas tank in the X5 is approx 22.5 gal, so I am not surprised the car needs a bigger tank for range.
Appreciate 0